? Your first "Meeting" With Linux ? (Solved)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

? Your first "Meeting" With Linux ? (Solved)

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

Do you remember your first "Meeting" with Linux ?
:?:
When did you become "Linux-Fan" ?

In my case I hears of Linux (Ubuntu) from some friends - 10 years ago, I believe it was.

But in the last 7 years, or so, I prefer Linux Mint from Ubuntu.

I have tried some of the other Linux distros ...

But Linux Mint is my absolutely favorite !
:!:
I am very pleased with this Forum, where I have got a lot of good and most qualified help.

I like to thank you all, who read this, and all, who have helped me, during the years.

Moderator: moved to Chat About Linux, as this isn't really a support topic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint MATE 18 * Sara * 32 Bit
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: ? Your first "Meeting" With Linux ?

Post by jimallyn »

A guy I knew because he is a musician like me came into my shop and told me about Linux and gave me a Mandrake install CD. I was delighted to find that there was something available that wasn't Windows. Mandrake didn't work as well as I had hoped, but a few months later my friend told me there was a new distro out: Xandros. Xandros did everything right, and I used it up until a few years ago when I installed Mint.

I have other distros installed in VirtualBox, but Mint is my every day driver. I also appreciate the support on the Mint forums, and try to help others whenever I can. Linux has given me so much, how could I not want to give back to the community whenever I can?

Edit: it was in 2002 that my friend introduced me to Linux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Somewhere around '98 / '99 I read about Linux in a computer magazine. From 2005 until now I use it for 99% to do my things. Only thing I need a virtual windows at the moment if I buy a book with drm, but nowadays most books are without drm.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I write software for a living. Around 10 years ago I worked on a project which ran on Linux, so we all had our own machine running CentOS. A couple of years later I tried Ubuntu on my home machine and got bored of it but I kept an eye as Linux matured until I found Mint about 3 years ago and decided it had developed to the point where I preferred it to Windows.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

Around 2001 or so I started reading about this thing called Linux in magazines on the book store rack. My wife was complaining constantly about her Windows computer. Then I ran across a disk for something called Lindows. It would later become LInspire, until Ubuntu's birth put it out of business.

Anyway I installed LInspire and started to learn. Before the end of 2002 I converted fully. I've not looked back.
John
Blue Ridge Mountains, USA

I take refuge in the 3 jewels of the Linux Dharma: Kindness and Generosity (Buddha), Freedom (Dharma), and Collaboration (Sangha).

100% LInux since 2002
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

My first encounter was with Ubuntu about 5 years ago. Didn't like it. Tried a few different other Linuxes.

Heard about Mint reading some computer articles and tried it out. I fell in love.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Jørn Rudolph wrote:Do you remember your first "Meeting" with Linux ?
Probably around '95 or so with a commercial version of...SuSE(?). The cool kids were playing with linux because we were running Unix at work.
Started using it for real with Ubuntu 10. But I wouldn't say I was really a fan, it's just better than MS OS's - computers are still primitive.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

First played with RedHat on a 486 in the late 90's. I can remember that the install was a real ordeal. Over the ensuing years, I was a Windows fanboy, but I always kept a linux hd around to play with, having tried many, many distros, and eventually graduated to dual booting win XP and simply Mepis. Just before eol for win XP, I switched to Mint 13 XFCE and for the first time I was blown away! Everything worked! Ditched windows completely For Mint 17 (also used Mint 16 for a while). Still using Mint 17 XFCE, although I've got a couple of laptops running 18.1 XFCE. I've never warmed to 18, so I guess my daily driver will continue to be Mint 17 til either end of support, or Mint 19 comes out. This is a great community with lots of experienced users willing to help new folks. I maintain the family laptops (5 thinkpads, 2 HP's, and 1 Toshiba) and all run Mint except for a Toshiba running win 7. Love Mint!

Bob
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

In 2001 or 2002 (gads, the years fly by) a friend I'd met through a mutual hobby knew I was having problems with Windows on my pc, knew I was inclined to the open-source ethos and kindly installed linux as a dual-boot. While that distro - Gentoo, iirc - was/is overwhelming to me, it did succeed in convincing me of its viability on my pc. Linux has been my full-time OS ever since. I'm grateful to him and to all who contribute to Linux. Thanks to its friendly attitude, community and user-friendly approach, Mint has been my "daily driver" OS for years as well as what I recommend for most other prospective users.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Redhat Linux 8 back in 2002. A friend introduced me to it. I loved it... so much better than Windows 2000! Moved to Fedora Core when it came out, for a couple years. Since then exclusively Debian based distros, except dabbled a bit with Arch.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

MANY thanks to you ALL and have a GOOD Sunday ...
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint MATE 18 * Sara * 32 Bit
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Dutchmaster wrote:Around 2001 or so I started reading about this thing called Linux in magazines on the book store rack. My wife was complaining constantly about her Windows computer. Then I ran across a disk for something called Lindows. It would later become LInspire, until Ubuntu's birth put it out of business.

Anyway I installed LInspire and started to learn. Before the end of 2002 I converted fully. I've not looked back.
I still have copy of Linspire and Freespire I ordered at that time. Before that it was Lindows, which got them into a fix with Windows.

Nobody here used early Knoppix?! "Initiating Startup Sequence", LOL. At that time for me only using windows, it was the one desktop version I could play in at times. My main complaint was all the "K" named programs, it sort of irritated me everything started with a capital "K". I never quite figured out why it had the desktop inside the desktop in version 4 and I think it was that way in 5 also.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
sphyrth

Re: ? Your first "Meeting" With Linux ? (Solved)

Post by sphyrth »

Do you remember your first "Meeting" with Linux [Distro] ?
When I was in college. It was in the University. A pre-Unity Ubuntu. In fact, it was still orange! I don't remember what year, but it's safe to say that it was 2009 or earlier.

I first became a FOSS fan. Switching software was quite the learning curve, but I just didn't care.

My fan-dom didn't bloom until the year of Microsoft's Abandon XP Project. I was already preparing myself with the live-installs of Mint. Learning how to NOT lose your files, nor break your system were the only requirements. By now, I can break my system whenever I want. It's fun!

Return to “Chat about Linux”