Linux 2017 – The Road to Hell

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux 2017 – The Road to Hell

Post by mike acker »

this should be a good place for this one.....
VM2B0881.JPG
¡Viva la Resistencia!
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

this guys a joke
ya I had an issue with my realtek card also, kept dropping, so I replaced with an intel one and the problem went away, no big issue, not a linux issue, it's a realtek issue and not supporting linux well enough, kernel 4.11 is suppose to finally fix the realtek issues, we'll see.
If things continue the way there are, Linux will just become irrelevant. No one needs a Microsoft-alternative operating system if it can’t do half the things that a typical Windows system can. We’re not talking about miracles. Basic expectations. Connectivity. Consistency.
:lol:
he should stick with windows, some folks just aren't meant to have linux

ahh buy a computer that's compatible, read a bit, do some research.

I got an asus laptop, no issues except realtek wireless card, changed it presto no more hardware issues, and eufi was a breeze, no 10 steps, just log into bios, turn off secure boot, done, install.

the only major issue I had beside realtek cards was an hp with dynamic partition, and I just brought it back cause I was to lazy to reformat it to basic and I didn't want to support a company that throws a dynamic partition my way.
now I check before buying if the hard drive is dynamic or basic, throws the store workers in a frenzy when I go into the partition section to check it out :lol:

I got my wife on linux, no issues
I got my 80 year old mother on linux, no issues (she even did her own grub upgrade/update years ago, made me proud.
If she can do it what's his problem besides not reading first before buying.

Think about it, your buying a computer made for windows and your changing the os to linux, would you NOT DO SOME HOMEWORK FIRST just to see if it's compatable or not?
Shheeessshh
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

IMHO:

seems like every forum has some paid hacks, tee hee, yer buddy probably works for Ed Bott

it's the Gaterbox that's in trouble: it's NOT SECURE (Read: UNACCEPTABLE) and IMHO it does not appear it can be fixed without swapping out the defective API

as soon as devs can offer a better way to run their apps they will drop the Gaterbox faster than a Hollywood divorce. basically it means reworking the app to use the POSIX api
¡Viva la Resistencia!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

samriggs wrote:I got an asus laptop, no issues except realtek wireless card, changed it presto no more hardware issues.
This. People complain about the hell that is Windows, only to dismiss Linux when they find it's incompatible with some old printer on its last legs that they bought 5 years ago for 50 quid... and back to Windows they trot.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

samriggs wrote:this guys a joke
ya I had an issue with my realtek card also, kept dropping, so I replaced with an intel one and the problem went away, no big issue, not a linux issue, it's a realtek issue and not supporting linux well enough, kernel 4.11 is suppose to finally fix the realtek issues, we'll see.
If things continue the way there are, Linux will just become irrelevant. No one needs a Microsoft-alternative operating system if it can’t do half the things that a typical Windows system can. We’re not talking about miracles. Basic expectations. Connectivity. Consistency.
:lol:
he should stick with windows, some folks just aren't meant to have linux
ahh buy a computer that's compatible, read a bit, do some research.
I got an asus laptop, no issues except realtek wireless card, changed it presto no more hardware issues, and eufi was a breeze, no 10 steps, just log into bios, turn off secure boot, done, install.
I once had issues with my realtek USB wifi. It was working but was very slow. I never thought of blaming Linux. I thought of replacing the "slow" device. Then I came across a thread with issues similar to mine, visited the suggested link, follow the steps, and it all went fine since.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /reserve-7

USB wifi adapters cost around $15 each. And they're just as fast as built-in cards.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

What is the OS you can still install entirely on one partition if you prefer? Hint - It's NOT Windows. People complain that UEFI motherboards were done to freeze other OS out in favor of Windows, but truth is, it became a necessary change for the continuation of Windows. The very concept of Secure Boot testifies the OS itself is deficient to protect itself, even with a Defender working for it in the background. It's like some old "historic" building that's about to fall over, but they build buttresses on each side to keep it standing a few more years.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Isn't this how Charlie Brown puts it? Good Grief

Six quick facts to know about today's global ransomware attack

This is what you need to know — right now.
Zack Whittaker

By Zack Whittaker for Zero Day | June 27, 2017 -- 20:03 GMT (13:03 PDT) | Topic: Security
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

One of these days, one of these attacks is going to so big and so broad that governments destabilize. Controlling zombies without a digital screen is difficult. We will see how far this one goes, it seems to be spreading fairly decently.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Dan Gooden / Ars Technica -- essay on PetyaWrap

evidently "Peta" refers to the earlier "WannaCry" while the new attack is "PetrWrap"

Joe Osborne / Tech Radar

Krebs has an article up on this also

+

you cannot build a castle upon a foundation of sand yet that is exactly what the Gaterbox has done. It's a tragedy, really. The best road to recovery will be to start by making sure all Gaterboxes are running only on isolated intranets. this may involve the development of some pretty heavy-duty authentication filters.

one might think VPN networks. but a VPN is only as good as the remote it connects to. The heavy duty filter will need to reduce traffic to NON EXECUTABLE DOCUMENTS. No macros. No scripts. No Bull. PGP/GPG signatures: REQUIRED.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
hobbledehoy899

Post by hobbledehoy899 »

samriggs wrote:ya I had an issue with my realtek card also, kept dropping, so I replaced with an intel one and the problem went away, no big issue, not a linux issue, it's a realtek issue and not supporting linux well enough, kernel 4.11 is suppose to finally fix the realtek issues, we'll see.
You should have just installed the 4.11.7 kernel with Ukuu instead of buying a whole other Wi-Fi card...
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Moem wrote:In another few years you may find out that it comes bundled with life.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a WINNER!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:
Think about it, your buying a computer made for windows and your changing the os to linux, would you NOT DO SOME HOMEWORK FIRST just to see if it's compatable or not?
Shheeessshh
Why the heck would anyone want to do THAT?!?! Takes all the fun out of figuring out what the heck is going on.
Ah, the good old days. Become familiar with INSMOD, because you're going to be using it A LOT every time you buy something new. Compile a kernel and eat supper in the meantime (you could cook it AND eat it back then!)
And for a real lesson in dependency heck, just go out and buy a scanner, and THEN go to SANE's website to see if it's supported! ;)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

lexon wrote:For some years I thought, Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
The past few years I have noticed it comes bundled with Linux. Take a few minutes to look though the different forums, not only Mint forums, for all the issues, some never solved.
Yes, many are trying to improve but their are issues.

http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/07/13/linux- ... d-to-hell/
L
I think you just described life :-) --- sometimes good, sometime bad, sometime you get lucky, sometimes things break.... The only things that don't have issues are lying in the scrapheap (or graveyard).

Well, linux is huge in embedded systems and servers.

He should blame the manufacturers of his hardware for not supplying drivers or opening up the specs so developers could create drivers, or MS for controlling hardware vendors. Unless you build your own computer, it very likely came with Windows installed, unless you buy Apple. If folks want everything wrapped tightly together, why not just buy Apple.

I love Linux and the open source tech community. I'd like to see more people volunteer or contribute to maintain the environment and philosophy. The author is correct in some ways. The spirit of empowering the user to do their own thing has gone somewhat to the wayside. The power that MS and RH have can and probably will change the environment. Linux, just like minix and bsd, will not become irrelevant because there are super geeky dedicated people and the people that want to support them because we love independence and tech. HHHHmmmm, "Basic expectations. Connectivity. Consistency" I don't exactly associate those words with Windows. Every time I do an update it takes 24 hours... and the registry :-O

There are at least two huge changes going on right now and people have taken notice. systemd, a system management tool, is fundamentally changing the game, encompassing more components which in the long term will impact creativity, competition, and alternatives, the lifeblood of any linux user. kde5 developed with qt5 and qml is majorly different from kde4, and that from kde3. And kde5 requires systemd, as does gnome3. I wouldn't use either in a production environment. Interesting the author didn't mention xfce or lxde.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I liked the Kubuntu 12.04 version and the one after, but then KDE started going weird on me, ended up on Mint instead.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The last time I genuinely needed proprietary software, it was 2013-2014 or thereabouts to liberate my own data from some proprietary file format into libre formats directly, or into a more commonly-supported format which I could then open up in a libre program and save into a libre format.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”