Adventures in Manjaro...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Adventures in Manjaro...

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Moving this to OT so the other thread can get back to general discussion.

I got a copy of the Manjaro Architect ISO and loaded Manjaro from that. Funny, it is strangely quite a lot like the Arch install Jim Someone came up with 2 years ago...

This time I went with KDE. I remember now why I didn't like KDE a whole lot, BUT it is working a lot better than the previous attempts at MATE. Something must be up with Arch's implementation of the current MATE desktop, because I had a LOT of issues with it.

I will attempt to make an ISO from this installation once I get over being suicidal from my last attempt(s)... :twisted:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Adventures in Arch...

Post by Fred Barclay »

This is for you...

:P

Good luck!
EDIT: changed title back to "Arch" since my post isn't relevant for Manjaro ;)
Last edited by Fred Barclay on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Adventures in Manjaro...

Post by Lucap »

https://www.linux-live.org
Linux Live Kit is a set of shell scripts which allows you to create your own Live Linux from an already installed Linux distribution , Debian is recommended but not required.
@ Arch_Enemy

Is the above anygood?
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

:lol: Got to hand it to you, you are one determined son of a gun.

It's like a love/hate relationship you have going on with Manjaro there.

Glad to see you drop mate though, I have a feeling that's what's been giving you all the headaches.
Why KDE though ?
If you have issues with KDE try xfce, I been using it since I installed manjaro and only had one hiccup so far that was easy to resolve.
Yup that installer looks a lot like jeff's old on for arch (the orginal one).
Use the stable version repos also so you don't get the borkiness happening
I just chose the normal xfce version and not the architect version so no idea what that one is like you got running, if it borks out on you just try the normal stable release, less headaches with it.
Since this is a workstation for me I have to get as close to stable as possible with arch based or I would just go back to pure arch again myself.

Good luck in this run, let me know how it goes and if you get an ISO running with for it, I woud mind doing one myself, I just back up everything constantly onto an external right now, would be nice to create an ISO just in case.

here found this for you, it might help building for kde: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... DE_Minimal
and also for xfce (might be able to use some bits for kde https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... h_buildiso

hope it helps

Sam
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Fred Barclay wrote:This is for you...

:P

Good luck!
LOL! It certainly has been 'fun'!

Installing Manjaro has always been an 'adventure', but usually once installed you can get it up and running with plenty of packages. This time sure has kicked my butt. Biggest issue is MATE seems to be a bit buggy...KDE has been working well.
It's like a magnet...it just keeps drawing me to it. But I'm sticking with Mint for stability.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Lucap wrote:https://www.linux-live.org
Linux Live Kit is a set of shell scripts which allows you to create your own Live Linux from an already installed Linux distribution , Debian is recommended but not required.
@ Arch_Enemy

Is the above anygood?
I'll certainly give it a shot. I've already pulled all my hair out, so I have nothing more to lose but my sanity...

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote::lol: Got to hand it to you, you are one determined son of a gun.

It's like a love/hate relationship you have going on with Manjaro there.

Sam
Thanks.

I was going to say that!

I've been using the Manjaro guide for the ISO but ran into a couple of bugs. I don't think it's been updated for a while, so I just run it, stop, modify a script, run it again, etc.

I have not been well for a couple months and not able to work my usual job (safe/ATM installer) so I wanted something to occupy my time. Man, I sure got it!

XFCE I haven't played with much. It's a bit too minimalistic for me. MATE I like because I liked the Win95/Gnome2 interface so it is familiar.

I DID get a couple ISO's, but no GUI. I ain't afraid of a command line, but I do visuals better.

I did find one Arch tutorial where you create a whole new system on your drive, CHROOT into it, install all the packages you want and then roll it up into an ISO (using dd, I think). When I first attempted this 4-5 years ago I decided that was too hard, but now I understand the process better I might try it.

One thing for sure...I may not be a Linux Guru, but I sure learned a lot using Arch! I can edit a pkgbuild in a hearbeat! :D

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

yup thats one thing arch does supply, learning linux.
I think everyone that has used it has learnt something, there is no real choice in the matter.
That's why I don't recommend it to much, if you don't want to dig in to much but want more I just draw them to manjaro instead for rolling releases or lmde (sort of a rolling release).

Arch taught me to build packages.

xfce is more like a win98 feel to it but can be themed to pretty look what ever you like.
Alot of folks like kde, just to many bells and whistle for my liking, plus I like messing my my desktop with drop and drag.
creating themes for kde is more work also.
not my choice but alot of folks like it.

Please let me know if you get a iso going on.
Sam
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:yup thats one thing arch does supply, learning linux.

Please let me know if you get a iso going on.
Sam
No ISO yet, but I did figure out why MATE is running so poorly...(yes, I AM determined! :D )

Seems there is an issue between WAYLAND (compositor) MATE and another thing I am stubborn about, nvidia 304xx. The latest nvidia driver is sluggish when scrolling, 304xx works just fine.
Except with MATE on Wayland. I relented and loaded the latest nvidia driver and the issues went away...

Now adding all the software I want in my ISO.

BTW, I reloaded Manjaro FIVE TIMES Friday. KDE was working, but I don't like it much. I do like a full featured desktop so MATE is my choice. Every time I reloaded, no matter what desktop I chose, there was some issue or another. Five reloads, five different issues. I have never had such a hard time installing Arch, except the time I did it "The Arch Way". Then I had a few issues, but only because I am not a command-line guru. ;D

Once I got it sorted out, it installed and ran fine...until the 5th update...:D

Next reload I'll try XFCE. You seem to like it. I tried it a few years ago, I think when it was new, and was nonplussed...

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

:lol: all that installing would drive me nuts

Well seems you figured out the root issue with mate, that's a start.
Mate is a community project over there also, sometimes they are great and alot of times they have one issue or another, depending on who is doing it.

Ya I am not a fan of kde myself but a lot of folks like it.
mate would be my first choice, I liked it when it I first came to linux before it became mate, but mate was to buggy for my liking so I chose xfce or cinnamon.
That might of improved over time I havn't tried it in awhile.
xfce always just seemed to work for me better then the rest so I just stick with it for anything arch based.
Plus I can theme it to pretty much anything I want if I want, xfwm isn't as good as metacity for framing but it all depends on what you want, you can get pretty close with it.
the rest is just gtk and icons

I hope you get one working the way you like it
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote::

I hope you get one working the way you like it
Oh, I have it just the way I like it!

Making the ISO is aging me prematurely. I have everything in place, it boots and says "device ' ' not in fstab. You must specify file system". This started after I made the changes to boot GUI instead of command line.

What I looked like when I started:

What I look like now...

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

:lol: isn't that animal from days gone by in wrestling the father of macho man's wife elizabeth?
sad I know that much about wrestling, I had a dad that loved watching it and went to live events when i was younger.

You know if it ever works for you should write a tutorial about it.
This might help you along a bit https://forum.manjaro.org/t/full-system-backup/2309

I started a project myself yesterday I have an old android tablet kicking around here, my wifes got bricked so I have to reinstall the firmware to get it running again, buttt I thought hey I'm doing nothing with mine lets try an experiment.
So for 2 days, I been reading like crazy, downloading like crazy, I reformat it, made it root, installed a computer looking keyboard, added a vnc and now trying to get linux to work on it through linux deploy apk.
I'm thinking debian lxde or arch lxde, haven't made up my mind yet which one, deban might be better.

I'm right at the stage of installing it, but not sure if this toy is to old to run it :shock:
Maybe I'll go arch just to keep with this topic a tad, but debian might easier for a stupid old tablet that might not be powerful to run it.

anyhow keep me updated with your experiment, I am interested if this is going to work for you.

Sam
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I see that Manjaro Linux is based on Arch.

- What does Manjaro Linux buy you that isn't in Arch Linux?
- Did you install systemd or openrc?
- Which display manager did you install (lightdm, sddm, ...)?

KDE 5 or Plasma & Framework & Applications, imho is different enough from KDE 4 and that is different enough from KDE 3 that they almost make them different desktops rather than different versions. The whole qt-qml environment is huge.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

lmuserx4849 wrote:I see that Manjaro Linux is based on Arch.

- What does Manjaro Linux buy you that isn't in Arch Linux?
- Did you install systemd or openrc?
- Which display manager did you install (lightdm, sddm, ...)?

KDE 5 or Plasma & Framework & Applications, imho is different enough from KDE 4 and that is different enough from KDE 3 that they almost make them different desktops rather than different versions. The whole qt-qml environment is huge.
What does Manjaro Linux buy you that isn't in Arch Linux?
More stability, arch is great but I need more stability for a workstation, manjaro is a bit more stable but uses arch as a base much like mint uses ubuntu as a base

Did you install systemd or openrc?
systemd

Which display manager did you install (lightdm, sddm, ...)?
lightdm

kde
don't use it I use xfce
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:
What does Manjaro Linux buy you that isn't in Arch Linux?
More stability, arch is great but I need more stability for a workstation, manjaro is a bit more stable but uses arch as a base much like mint uses ubuntu as a base

Did you install systemd or openrc?
systemd

Which display manager did you install (lightdm, sddm, ...)?
lightdm

kde
don't use it I use xfce
Bingo! Manjaro has the testing and unstable repositories (and you can always add them direct from Arch) but the main repository only adds stuff when it doesn't have a tendency to make your computer a 65LB paperweight.

I mix them up and throw in AUR stuff as well. I'm a glutton for punishment...

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I'm not quite up to doing a happy dance just yet, but I did get a working copy on DVD where I can log in as root and get MATE running.

I copied all my configs over to my home directory (in the ISO build files) but it just won't start MATE. I get a black screen and a cursor. Must be something in my mix that didn't get installed when it built the base system.

Somone in the Distro Hopping thread posted a link to midfingr's Arch instructions, and I followed those. I tried this 3-4 years ago with no luck. I guess his he made his 4-year-old video easier to understand in the meantime ;)

I'm tempted to blow the whole thing away, start over and do it with xfce instead. Might be MATE's current wonkiness causing the issues. Whenever I build the ISO the panel quits, even though it is still visible. Never had this happen in the many versions of Mint 17x I made for myself and friends. I did have some issues with 18, but it still made the ISO and MATE worked. But with Mint I can get EVERYTHING I have installed up and running and working fine, because you are copying your actual system to the ISO, not reinstalling all over into a CHROOT.

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

ya I add some things from aur myself, I like that repository to much, always have.
it's like being a kid in a candy store.

Remember mate is a community project over there also and since it's basically run by mint (so I take it) it should run better on mint.
I do think it might be mate issue with arch base or there missing simethings to make it run properly, check out the forum about it, it's only been been out since march so there is bound to be bugs.

It seems to be a lot harder to make an iso with arch based distros.

I reformatted my tablet a total of 3 times so far trying to get linux to run on it :lol:

Got close with gnuroot debian but it installled on the main memory instead of the sdcard so it ran out of memory
linux deploy installs on the sdcard but having issues with partition fails, once it corrupted the sdcard so had to wipe it out again and vnc issues, I might just give this tablet to the wife soon if it keeps failing, I have no need for a tablet if I can't get linux to run on it.

you should give it a go with xfce since it's one of there main systems and more stable you might have better luck, there is more support for it also.
Just watch out for the network manager, it cuts out the odd time.
I have mine pinned at 1.4.6 for the adapter since 1.8 had issues for me.
if it cuts out you can do this

systemctl enable NetworkManager.service
systemctl restart NetworkManager.service
reboot

to get it going again, I also put nm-applet in the start up applications to help it out.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I tried Manjaro Cinnamon for a second time after hearing the latest release fixes the screen tearing on Intel/Nvidia GPUs. Not so smooth as last time; got it installed okay and sure enough no tearing, however the first set of updates after installing threw conflicts and I found a bunch of conversations about how to fix it but nothing conclusive. Some people said certain advice worked, others said it didn't and it was all long-winded and complicated.

Decided I didn't have the motivation to struggle on with the problem and promptly returned to Mint to find the tearing was fixed in 18.2.

Home sweet home. Honestly I think I'm done hopping for the foreseeable.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

yup it's not for everyone, rolling releases are more work and arch base is even more work.
Mint is stable and works, which is why I have family on it.
Cinnamon is also a community project on manjaro, any time I use a rolling release I make sure I choose a flag ship de instead just because it seems to be better supported which means less headaches for the most part.
Manjaro has 3 for the main edition, xfce (my choice), kde and gnome all the rest are community projects.

Mintbean did you use the open source drivers for intel/nvidia or the ones provided by nvidia?
I use bumblebee and the open source ones, less headaches and I don't play games that require a lot of gpu stuff and never had issues yet
I did have some tearing on mint cinnamon also using nvidias drivers glad to see that is resolved.

I would never recommend any rolling release for anyone that doesn't know linux that well or doesn't want to dig in and fix issues when they pop up, because they will.
One reason my wife doesn't use pure arch anymore, although she loved the speed

a note from charles (cbowman use to be with mint years ago) on my google plus for arch for anyone intertested
Well, if you're still using i686 hardware and Archlinux you may want to start thinking of an upgrade, or start shopping for a new distro. From the look of it Arch will no longer support it 9 months from now.

What hits closer to home for me is that ABS may be on the chopping block as well. Though that's more of a convenience issue than anything else. The PKGBUILD and associated files will still be available so they can be compiled with makepkg I assume, but I've become spoiled, so I hope the developers derail that idea.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

samriggs wrote:Mintbean did you use the open source drivers for intel/nvidia or the ones provided by nvidia?
I use bumblebee and the open source ones, less headaches and I don't play games that require a lot of gpu stuff and never had issues yet
I did have some tearing on mint cinnamon also using nvidias drivers glad to see that is resolved.
If you're talking about Manjaro, open source I guess- whatever it installs with. With Mint I use the proprietary Nvidia as I do play the odd game. Don't you use Mint any more?

Good point regarding staying away from community editions. IIRC the conflict was something related to the desktop manager stack. As for Arch dropping i686 I think it's a smart move. Manpower resources are limited and honestly there must be precious few machines that are not x86_64 which still have the grunt to run a modern system.

Return to “Chat about Linux”