The direction I dream for Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: The direction I dream for Linux

Post by catweazel »

Portreve wrote:It's become my view that, if it requires proprietary software to do, then it isn't worth doing.
That's completely one-eyed. If it hadn't been for proprietary software there'd have been no drive for Linux whatsoever. What's more, many of us, and I include myself here, have had very rewarding lives and careers using our intellectual skills in developing, maintaining and using proprietary software over 45-50 year long careers. The better way to look at proprietary software versus open source is, I believe, 'horses for courses'.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I use both proprietary software and open software.
I have no issues paying for software if it can do what I need it to do and there is no open versions available to do the same job.
As far as graphic programs go I have always liked and chosen open over proprietary just cause I like the fact I can add to it if I want to or make changes if I want to to get it to do what I need to do.
In photoshop and illustrator I use to have to write plugins in C in the old days to get what I needed, in gimp there are hundreds floating around out there I don't need to write anything but if I did I can use scritp-fu or python which is easier then using C for me.
But as far as paying for a closed software, it is no big deal for me to support the developer through payment if it does a good job.
I even had one developer want to give me a free version for helping out on linux version, I still gave the money just to support it because I wanted to see it continue going on, it made my life a lot easier to use it in my development.
If I wind up developing software for linux it will be open (unless it games but that depends on what I do, some might be open), 90% of what I use is open, but just by choice because I like it better.
If I decided to start 3d gaming, I would probably pay for leadwerks just because it does what I want it to do.
If there was bigger market for game companies to port over to linux, then linux would grow a lot, although I don't like that idea myself but that's just a matter of personal preference.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

What I understand is that most coders and the people that work to make FOSS products have to also work for a living and many, maybe most, code for jobs. Everybody has to eat and everybody deserves comfort and happiness.

That said, I don't agree with the tactics a certain Washington State company use, and despite the fact that I, myself, need work right now, I wouldn't go work for them. But I would go work for most software companies if I were qualified. I've read about the founder and his attitude and "values" and it's one of the things that made me consider, for years, moving to another operating system.

Nothing wrong with selling hard work, even not so hard work, for that matter! But there ARE things that aren't cool. I won't go there because it's borderline political but I will say this much, when I'm in my home town, I eat at local outfits/mom and pop/small chains if I can at all help it.

Also, I think that prices that are according to the right criteria and value can make paying for them actually appealing. 300 dollars for an OS that keeps coughing up license issues over time. No, not so much.

BTW, I am hoping that this coming week I may get a job and I WILL be donating to the Mint and other FOSS projects, heck, if I could afford it, I'd take people out for Pepe's Pizza in New Haven! (the best pizza place in America and yes, them's fighting words said by a nutmegger!) ;)
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

sidetracked by pizza :shock:
loveeee pizza even more since the doc wants me to cut down on it.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Oh yeah, they are a distraction, the clam pie is famous. My fave is sausage and pepper. Coal ovens.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.

Return to “Chat about Linux”