What you'll do when Firefox drops support for XUL addons?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: What you'll do when Firefox drops support for XUL addons?

Post by karlchen »

Question: What you'll do when Firefox drops support for XUL addons?
Answer:
My current plan is switching to Pale Moon. It started as a Firefox fork. By now it still looks very much like a pre-Australis Firefox, but the web engine has already moved away from Firefox. For die-hard Firefox users, Pale Moon is the logical replacement.
Anyone is free to disagree, but this is my current plan.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
name12345

Post by name12345 »

If moz is going to break people's browser so bad, they could at least have left it until the version after an Extended Support Release version.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

The developer of the important privacy protection add-on BetterPrivacy-signed emailed me back about LSOs and new Firefox:
Hello James,
Do you plan to bring BetterPrivacy-signed to the latest Firefox environment?
No, not necessary.
With FF 57 BetterPrivacy becomes obsolete.

Adobe announced the end of lifetime for Flash and LSO-cookies.
Firefox 57 will no longer support hidden Flash and therefore most LSO's will vanish. Moreover almost all web-sites removed their Flash content already, they replaced it by HTML-media which looks almost the same as Flash. Prove it by right-click.
Thus, shortly, the chance to encounter a LSO is minimal, and I suggest to uninstall the BP add-on.

Regards,
IKRG
So it looks like I'm chillin' to those god-awful cookies die a natural death.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've checked recently which add-ons that I have will work with FF57. Most of my "must have" add-ons already use web extensions (in current or beta version) or have shared a plan and are working on it. From my "nice to have" add-ons several appear to not be actively maintained and those might stop working. Meh :) I'll figure out which I need to replace after FF57.

My add-ons that already use web extensions (in current or beta version) or have shared to be working on it:
  • Cookie AutoDelete
  • GNOME Shell Integration
  • Google search link fix
  • HTTPS Everywhere (from developer's comment)
  • I don't care about cookies (from developer's comment)
  • Privacy Badger
  • Reddit Enhancement Suite
  • uBlock Origin (beta)
Not yet working:
  • Advanced Locationbar — I don't know of any alternatives that work on FF57
  • Youtube HD Plus — there are a couple of alternatives that work on FF57, like Enhanced for Youtube
Perhaps you all have many more extensions or specific needs, but for me personally it looks like FF57 will be fine.
Faust

Post by Faust »

xenopeek wrote:I've checked recently which add-ons that I have will work with FF57. Most of my "must have" add-ons already use web extensions (in current or beta version) or have shared a plan and are working on it. From my "nice to have" add-ons several appear to not be actively maintained and those might stop working. Meh :) I'll figure out which I need to replace after FF57.

Perhaps you all have many more extensions or specific needs, but for me personally it looks like FF57 will be fine.
Very useful and good to know .... thanks !
Likewise , I have used uBlock Origin , Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere for a long time ( currently with FF 55 )

Does anyone know how things stand with NoScript ? ( recently the subject of a heated discussion hereabouts :) )

As for alternatives to Firefox , I've been testing Slimjet in Mint 17.3 ( and liking it , a lot ) , and Cyberfox on my one remaining Windows machine ( W7 )
but for all my criticisms of Mozilla and some of their decisions , I still keep coming back to Firefox to get things done , the way I want .
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Faust wrote:Does anyone know how things stand with NoScript ? ( recently the subject of a heated discussion hereabouts :) )
Update from early this month looked like you have nothing to worry about: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/08 ... ions-apis/
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

I don't have the knowledge or the experience even to begin understanding what XUL and web-extensions and all that actually mean. But I do want to stay reasonably safe while browsing.

I used NoScript in Firefox in the days before Linux (when I was still a Windows user). But I had tired of the constant need to allow/deny/adjust its various settings to cope with all the content on websites. When I moved over to Mint, I tried UBlock Origin on Firefox, and found it much less tedious.

However.... and this is what has brought me to this thread ..... following my latest Firefox update (to 55.0.2), UBlock Origin has disappeared. Or at least its icon has. Firefox still seems to suggest that it is installed. I have no idea whether UBlock Origin is still there or if it is working. I even reinstalled it, but it disappeared again on the next bootup.

The Mozilla FAQ info seems to suggest that UBlock Origin is now a "Legacy" addon and won't work (now, or under FF57 in a month or two's time) - and that it's down to the developer to rewrite the code to suit the reconfiguration of Firefox.

Which is all fine. I just have a simple need: for a popup blocker or script blocker that works now, that is unobtrusive, and that helps ensure my browsing is safe. I'm reluctant to revert to NoScript (if indeed that isn't also a Legacy add-on now!). Any suggestions for another Firefox addon that works? Or do I just have to wait in hope that the developer of UBlock Origin will redesign his add-on to fit the latest and future Firefox versions?
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

uMatrix is the spiritual successor to NoScript with regards to functionality. It's just way more efficient and offers better control than NoScript ever could. It, too, is tedious at first, but it allows for lasting configurations that you can blanket across all websites to find the right combination of script-blocking to site-breaking :)

uBlock origin is the successor to AdBlock Plus, only with greater transparency and efficiency.

But uBlock doesn't block scripts, it blocks domains. That's why folks concerned with security and privacy prefer a combination of the two plug-ins.

I hope this helps.

You might need to go nuclear and delete the .mozilla hidden /home/ directory to fix your ublock installation issue. If this doesn't help, your installation might be corrupted or something, and maybe just reinstall your OS
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

jameskga wrote:and maybe just reinstall your OS
Come on, don't suggest stuff like that... There's nothing in the OS that would cause an extension's icon to disappear from the Firefox toolbar. That is something between Firefox and the extensions somewhere. As for deleting the .mozilla, let's be careful and warn to backup bookmarks and passwords and such?
br1anstorm wrote:The Mozilla FAQ info seems to suggest that UBlock Origin is now a "Legacy" addon and won't work (now, or under FF57 in a month or two's time) - and that it's down to the developer to rewrite the code to suit the reconfiguration of Firefox.
uBlock Origin works just fine on FF55. It will also work fine on FF57. As I pointed out the beta version is already using web extensions so is FF57 ready. If uBlock Origin doesn't work for you I suggest opening a new topic in the support section of the forum to ask for help with that. Some trivial tips:
- Have you looked in the Firefox menu? Is the uBlock Origin icon there perhaps?
- Otherwise try the Customize option in the menu and see if the icon is under Additional Tools and Features
- If neither of that works you can try refreshing your web browser. This will remove any customizations like extensions and themes so make a list of the extensions you have right now as you will have to reinstall them. To refresh Firefox type about:support in the address bar and press enter to go there. Use the refresh button in top right of the page. Then reinstall your extensions.
- Perhaps some other extension is interfering with uBlock Origin?
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

Yeah, sorry, suggesting a full OS reinstall was a bit extreme lol
I am out there
NietGiftig

Post by NietGiftig »

br1anstorm wrote: However.... and this is what has brought me to this thread ..... following my latest Firefox update (to 55.0.2), UBlock Origin has disappeared. Or at least its icon has. Firefox still seems to suggest that it is installed. I have no idea whether UBlock Origin is still there or if it is working. I even reinstalled it, but it disappeared again on the next bootup.
I had the same, removed U-block Origin, and then reinstalled the same.
Magicly it works again also after reboots, I presume until october.
Then I will intall Firefox ESR, and after that is killed, I move on to another browser.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

xenopeek wrote: uBlock Origin works just fine on FF55. It will also work fine on FF57. As I pointed out the beta version is already using web extensions so is FF57 ready. If uBlock Origin doesn't work for you I suggest opening a new topic in the support section of the forum to ask for help with that. Some trivial tips:
- Have you looked in the Firefox menu? Is the uBlock Origin icon there perhaps?
- Otherwise try the Customize option in the menu and see if the icon is under Additional Tools and Features
- If neither of that works you can try refreshing your web browser. This will remove any customizations like extensions and themes so make a list of the extensions you have right now as you will have to reinstall them. To refresh Firefox type about:support in the address bar and press enter to go there. Use the refresh button in top right of the page. Then reinstall your extensions.
- Perhaps some other extension is interfering with uBlock Origin?
Thanks to all, especially xenopeek for the advice. Just for the record....
- the uBlock Origin icon is indeed still there under the "Add-ons" heading in my Firefox menu. It offers option buttons to Disable or Remove, which implies that it is still there and working. But no icon on my toolbar, so no way to click to see what it has blocked or to turn it off for any particular website or page (as I used to be able to do);
- I noticed in the Mozilla Addons FAQ/forum pages that the problem (of the disappearing uBlock Origin icon) is quite common and seems to be related to compatibility with the latest redesign of Firefox. I haven't tried installing the latest beta version, which I presume plays more nicely with the latest configurations of Firefox. I usually steer clear of betas of all kinds!
- I have very few other extensions in Firefox and none are new or updated recently, so I don't think interference is the issue. It does seem that uBlock Origin is now in need of some tweaking to get it working seamlessly - and visibly - with the latest versions of Firefox.

That's why I'm not convinced a refresh of the browser is the solution. I think I might just wait a while to see whether an update of uBlock Origin (or rather a full issue of the current beta) emerges.

PS reinstall the OS???? No way! A Linux reinstall may be easier than a Windows one (though I have never tried it...) . But I have no desire to resort to that particular nuclear option.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I'm jumping ship. Just installed Pale Moon on this machine and am going to give it a test run later.

My two most important add-ons, Classic Theme Restorer and Tab Groups, will cease to function after FFv56, which for me renders the browser unuseable. I don't see why we should be forced to adapt to the stupid, illogical Australis with its tabs above the browser-specific tools and meaningless symbols (with no tooltips) for toolbar buttons. Not my idea of freedom & choice.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Faust

Post by Faust »

This thread seems to be covering some of the same ground as another active one on here :-
" Ublock Origin corrupted "
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=252952

There are good posts on both , but it makes it harder to follow .
Houchou

Post by Houchou »

I'm using waterfox now.
https://www.waterfoxproject.org/downloads

It seams a better short term solution then firefox-esr
it seams a better solution medium term too.

we'll see about the long term....
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I might have to go the ESR route for now as I still have a lot open on this one I've yet to go through and am more certain that its replacement fits my needs. Had a few crashes with PaleMoon so far (loads up then dies as soon as you click something) but seems to be OK apart from that - and it doesn't lose the session.

Will otherwise pin the current FF version and stop using it for new content when 57 is released.

Only 315 tabs left .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Houchou

Post by Houchou »

BG405 wrote:I might have to go the ESR route for now as I still have a lot open on this one I've yet to go through and am more certain that its replacement fits my needs. Had a few crashes with PaleMoon so far (loads up then dies as soon as you click something) but seems to be OK apart from that - and it doesn't lose the session.

Will otherwise pin the current FF version and stop using it for new content when 57 is released.

Only 315 tabs left .. :mrgreen:
close firefox
install waterfox
don't launch waterfox and firefox at the same time!!!!
copy the firefox profile in to ".waterfox"
the giberish named folder and the ini file

waterfox should definitely last longer then the esr
also, waterfox will fork firefox at version 56, meaning now
so the move is seamless.
I run waterfox now and don't see much difference....
it may last in the long term, we'll see.....
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Houchou wrote:install waterfox
I'd overlooked that one, thanks! Pity I won't be able to run it on my netbook until I re-install it (with 64-bit this time) as I need the same browser(s) on each machine.
Houchou wrote:copy the firefox profile in to ".waterfox"
Excellent to know that will work. So much easier than porting everything manually.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Please say Waterfox supports profiles and add-ons like Morning Coffee... I'll even put a fresh install of Mint 18.2 KDE on my laptop to accommodate it.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
Houchou

Post by Houchou »

Dngrsone wrote:Please say Waterfox supports profiles and add-ons like Morning Coffee... I'll even put a fresh install of Mint 18.2 KDE on my laptop to accommodate it.
right now, it seams to be almost exactly like Firefox.
For example pocket is not included.... XD
I superficially tested your addon, it seams to work. I'm not using it regularly though.

It will actually begin the fork with version 56

Return to “Chat about Linux”