Crowdfunding attempt for a GNU/Linux smartphone

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Crowdfunding attempt for a GNU/Linux smartphone

Post by greerd »

Looks like Purism has meet its 1.5 million dollar goal with 13 days to spare, see puri.sm. This doesn't mean that it's a sure thing but I hope they succeed!
Last edited by greerd on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Oh, interesting! I too hope they succeed, if only because it's good to have more options on the market.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

The Librem 5 phone will be the world's first ever IP-native mobile handset, using end-to-end encrypted decentralized communication.
...and...
Our phone will not wholesale gather your data for profit. It will not lock you into an ecosystem that controls you. It will not require you to enter banking details to simply get an app from an app store.
Those are GREAT concepts. Just remember, to break through the market you must be better than Android and iOS. Yes, you can tell everyone how evil Google and Apple really are (and they are), but people tend to say, "Yeah, whatever. My Samsung/iPhone works for me right now. Why change?" It has long been understood that people don't care too much about privacy if losing some privacy means convenience. "Sure, I'll put my debit card number in your app store because if I want to download an app that costs money, I don't want to have to reach into my wallet and type the number every time." That type of complacency is tough to overcome. And don't forget, some people LIKE the advertisements being forced to their computers and phones because they might see something they want to buy.

However, I would love to have a phone like the Librem 5. Take away the power of the invasion of privacy and watch them squirm.

Return to “Chat about Linux”