Linux 4.14

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Linux 4.14

Post by mike acker »

as I understand it 4.14 will be the new LTS kernel

here's an article I found this morning

First Linux 4.14 release adds "very core" features, arrives in time for kernel's 26th birthday

Excerpt
Linus Torvalds has announced the first release candidate (rc) for Linux 4.14, the next long term stable release of the Linux kernel.

This release introduces several new core memory management features, a host of device driver updates, and changes to documentation, architecture, filesystems, networking and tooling.

It's the first of a likely seven release candidates before the new kernel reaches stable release around November.

Torvalds announced the Linux 4.14rc on Saturday, exactly one day before Linux-0.01 -- the very first kernel then coded largely by Torvalds himself -- was released 26 years ago. Today, there are some 4,300 developers working on the kernel, adding around 10,000 lines of code per day.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux 4.14

Post by Pjotr »

Stable release expected in November: that means that it's in time for Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19! Good news. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Pjotr wrote:Stable release expected in November: that means that it's in time for Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19! Good news. :)
one of the things I'd like to experiment with is to see if Oracle/VirtualBox will run properly on a straight Debian Dist. I have a straight Debian system on the Research box -- it's raining today so maybe I'll try loading it. the MSFT/Win8 client doesn't like being moved from one machine to another though -- it requires re-authentication. just another :( re proprietary software

I'm thinking of rebuilding No.4 -- which is an early LMDE/2 Dist. I have 2 other machines both loaded with the later release of the LMDE/2 .iso and both seem to run better

another thing I'd like to get to -- and that is the new file system for the 4 TB drives

I'm going to "get with the program" though -- and install a graphics card this time. Right now I'm thinking either a 6 core 1500 or maybe the 8-core Rizen 1700 series with the B350 board ...

I also want to re-visit the idea of running (/) and (/swap) on a SSD and then putting (/home) on a 4TB drive. That seems like it would be a good layout and should allow me to use the new disc format on the (/home) drive

got to build it to learn the gig though -- but that's fun!
¡Viva la Resistencia!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I look forward to experimenting with this. Wonder if it'll fix the non-functional trackpad on my Acer "testing" netbook? :mrgreen: (Which BTW worked in basic mode with the kernel provided with LM18.1 KDE. Subject for another thread, when I get around to it). Also interested to know if this series can potentially be used in earlier LM releases.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux”