Manjaro set to phase out 32 bit support

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Manjaro set to phase out 32 bit support

Post by Schultz »

Manjaro set to phase out 32 bit support: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/25/manja ... t-support/

Does anyone know when Ubuntu, and hence Mint, will also phase it out? I seem to recall this was discussed here on the forums but don't remember the details.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
samriggs

Re: Manjaro set to phase out 32 bit support

Post by samriggs »

Hi Schultz
Manjaro uses arch so that would be arch doing that, but as far as ubuntu it sounds like in vs 18 it will happen by the sounds of it or 2023 by some notes in 2016
here is some older reads about it
https://www.neowin.net/news/ubuntu-1804 ... ed-by-2023
https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-32-bit-support-drop/

but looks like ubuntu mate might continue on with some restrictions
Sam
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Ubuntu, and therefore Mint as well, will discontinue 32-bit support *after* Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19.x. Good old 32-bit is going the way of the dodo bird, the floppy disk and the dinosaurs. Now where's that exciting 128-bit development? :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Notwithstanding Debian's support for a wide range of hardware¹, or something similar, 32 bit (especially on the desktop) is pretty much dead at this point, so... not really all that surprised.

Did this take you by surprise, Schultz?

¹ Debian no longer supports 32 bit PPC CPUs. This support ended with 8.x. 9.x only support 64 bit versions.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

No, it didn't. Just was passing on some info and used it as a lead in to the question of when will Mint drop 32 bit support. It really doesn't matter to me as my current main system is 64. I'm just the curious type.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'm a little bit bugged by the looming end of 32 bit Linux because my 1Gb netbook runs significantly faster in that rather than 64 bit.

However, when Google announced that they were dropping 32 bit Chrome, I installed 64 bit Mint Xfce on that machine pretty quickly. The writing was on the wall.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

ghacks article, Ubuntu to drop 32bit Desktop ISO images from 17.10 release (but you can do an in-place upgrade to keep 32 bit).

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/29/ubunt ... 0-release/
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

The 32 bit is amusing. I have resurrected 2 each 32 bit machines lately. A Toshiba L35 and a MSi U100 netbook. The former was a surprise and runs extremely well on LM18.2 cinnamon 32. it does have 2GB ram and a 80gb HDD that I had on the shelf because on LM 64 bit loads the boot sector was bad and lost its mind after 2 or 3 boots.
for some reason it has been running flawlessly for 2 months. The MSi U100 netbook runs fine after I put in the LM 18.2 Cinnamon 32 from a flash drive. installs from a USB DVD drive were very poor in either Cinnamon or Mate. it does not run much slower with the N270 single core atom processor than my Asus Eee PC1001 with 18.2 Cinnamon 64 using an N470single core Atom.
I am going to look at my grandson's new computer this weekend. it is using a pair of the Nvidia terrebit processors. He is making the switch to Linux with it for gaming.
Aleron Ives
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aleron Ives »

I had to resurrect a 32-bit system recently, as well. A Thinkpad T60 requires a 32-bit OS, so I downloaded and installed Mint 18.2 Cinnamon x86, and it worked great. I'm grateful that 32-bit support has been maintained for such a long time.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Some more background information about this new development:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/ubun ... ds-dropped

Key quote:
No changes are being made to other builds of Ubuntu 17.10, such as minimal install ISOs or the net install option. And this news does not mean Ubuntu won’t run on 32-bit, simply that you won’t be able to download a pre-made desktop ISO image for it.

So, don’t panic: you can still install the Ubuntu desktop on 32-bit machines; you’ll just need to use a different ISO to do it.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Tomgin5 wrote:... I am going to look at my grandson's new computer this weekend. it is using a pair of the Nvidia terrebit processors. He is making the switch to Linux with it for gaming.
PLEASE tell me you aren't going to completely switch his machine to Linux for gaming. Gaming on Linux is a joke.

I don't have any Windows anymore but if I was a serious gamer I certainly would still have at least one Windows partition.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Hoser Rob wrote:PLEASE tell me you aren't going to completely switch his machine to Linux for gaming. Gaming on Linux is a joke.
Not so for Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/linux

Return to “Chat about Linux”