New Dnsmasq exploits found by security engineers

Chat about Linux in general
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

New Dnsmasq exploits found by security engineers

Postby Lucap » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:31 am

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/02/dnsmasq_flaws/

Google security engineers have spotted not one, not two, but seven serious flaws in Dnsmasq, a fairly widely used DNS forwarder and DHCP server.

This open-source program is present in a lot of home routers and certain Internet of Things gadgets, and included in desktop Linux distributions such as Ubuntu and Debian. According to Shodan, there are right now 1,098,179 devices facing the public internet with Dnsmasq services running.

The worst bugs can be exploited over the network to execute malicious code on a vulnerable system and hijack it.

Is this a problem for Mint?

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Re: New Dnsmasq exploits found by security engineers

Postby Pjotr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:42 am

Security issues are being discovered, and fixed, almost on a daily basis. That's where all those security updates you keep getting are for.... So: *shrug* business as usual. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:26 am

Checked your updates? My dns-masq was updated yesterday.

As mentioned this is an ongoing process. It'll never end. There's no OS that will magically make you hack proof, but at least with open source ones they can't hide the bugs forever.

Brent Rasmussen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Brent Rasmussen » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 pm

The dnsmasq version I have installed is 2.75. The version with the patch that fixes this vulnerability is 2.78. How can I manually update dnsmasq to the patched version 2.78? Do I have to wait for the automatic update to occur via the Update Manager? Googling around I do not see a simple way to update dnsmasq from one version to the newest one. Am I missing something? Is this something I should even be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Pjotr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 pm

Brent Rasmussen wrote:The dnsmasq version I have installed is 2.75. The version with the patch that fixes this vulnerability is 2.78. How can I manually update dnsmasq to the patched version 2.78? Do I have to wait for the automatic update to occur via the Update Manager? Googling around I do not see a simple way to update dnsmasq from one version to the newest one. Am I missing something? Is this something I should even be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Note that it's open source, so sometimes the repo maintainers choose to apply only the security fixes to the leaky old version, instead of uploading an entirely new upstream version.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

rene
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rene » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:56 pm

You should not be concerned; assuming you installed the normal updates you are using a patched version already. The 2.78 refers to the upstream ("main") version only. As a matter of regression management distributions don't indiscriminately update to a fully new version automatically, but (when and as long as possible) backport isolated vulnerability fixes to their own version. In the case of Ubuntu 16.04 / Mint 18.x and dnsmasq, the latter is version 2.75, patched for the here referred to vulnerabilities as of version 2.75-1ubuntu0.16.04.3: https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3430-1/.

You're fine...

Brent Rasmussen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Brent Rasmussen » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Ok. Thanks for the info!

Return to “Chat about Linux”