Linux is secure…right?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Linux is secure…right?

Post by linuxviolin »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux is secure…right?

Post by Pjotr »

Right. Linux is much more secure than Windows, although it's not 100 % secure. Nothing is, on our imperfect planet earth.

Surely you didn't expect we get all of those security updates in Linux Mint (almost on a daily basis) just for fun, right? :mrgreen:

Just a reminder: watch out for spreading FUD about Linux. And don't assume that issues that are only important for servers, also have much (if any) practical relevance for desktop Linux. You are aware that Linux Mint is a desktop distro?

See this article that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

And . . . all those links are to trendmicro, which is a company selling stuff. So that needs to be taken for what it's worth (i.e., the more they scare people, the more they sell).
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Schultz wrote:And . . . all those links are to trendmicro, which is a company selling stuff. So that needs to be taken for what it's worth (i.e., the more they scare people, the more they sell).
Well put. It's like a toilet cleaner manufacturer claiming that we need to use more toilet cleaner, or lack of hygiene will kill us all. :lol:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Would be curious to know--does anyone here know anyone who ever got a virus with Linux? 6 years now and have never had a problem. I had viruses with Windows, father in law had a ton of Windows viruses. Everyone knows someone with Windows who had viruses--usually more than one (person and more than one virus).
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

did anyone take note that trendmicro is talking about LINUX SERVERS here?...linux servers in major corporations and their web servers DO use some forms of anti-malware security mostly because though they may be MOSTLY immune to infection problems themselves, they serve up info to non-linux systems that CAN catch something that the linux system is already hardened against...to my knowledge, linux home desktops and laptops netbooks etc do not have these kind of concerns...DAMIEN
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:did anyone take note that trendmicro is talking about LINUX SERVERS here?
Looking at the first reply: yes, I think someone did. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Boy you love Trend Micro!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

KBD47 wrote:Would be curious to know--does anyone here know anyone who ever got a virus with Linux?
I don't know of anyone. I have been using Linux for 15 years. During that time, none of my Linux computers have ever been infected with any virus or malware. Nor has the computer of any Linux user I know of. That would take in a lot of computers, since the entire 15 years that I have been using Linux, I have been quite active on Linux forums, much of that time as a Moderator or Administrator. If somebody had posted "My Linux computer is infected with a virus" on one of the forums, I almost certainly would have seen it. But I have seen nothing like that. I won't say that it can't happen, just that I have never seen it happen.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

jimallyn wrote: I don't know of anyone. I have been using Linux for 15 years. During that time, none of my Linux computers have ever been infected with any virus or malware. Nor has the computer of any Linux user I know of. That would take in a lot of computers, since the entire 15 years that I have been using Linux, I have been quite active on Linux forums, much of that time as a Moderator or Administrator. If somebody had posted "My Linux computer is infected with a virus" on one of the forums, I almost certainly would have seen it. But I have seen nothing like that. I won't say that it can't happen, just that I have never seen it happen.
That is what I figured. Yet these "Linux gets viruses too!" scares keep popping up with little substantial evidence of the fact :(
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I'll stick with what I've got and chance it, but thanks for the advanced warning . . . . . . . . . . . . . ;)
revian

Post by revian »

KBD47 wrote:Would be curious to know--does anyone here know anyone who ever got a virus with Linux? 6 years now and have never had a problem. I had viruses with Windows, father in law had a ton of Windows viruses. Everyone knows someone with Windows who had viruses--usually more than one (person and more than one virus).
There aren't any Linux viruses in the wild - given the way Linux is designed, it's a waste of time to devote resources to developing them.
revian

Post by revian »

I've been using Linux since 2001 and I've never seen a computer virus. Over the years I have sat in IRC channels and support forums for various distros and have never heard from anyone who has actually seen a computer virus. I'm beginning to think that computer viruses are a myth that are used by antivirus distributors to scare people into spending money unnecessarily.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have used a few Linux distros since 2003 and no issues.

If I get bored, I Google Linux security.
Once in a while a clueless user might "think" they found a virus and posting some FUD.

L
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

linuxviolin wrote:Just a reminder to those who think Linux is immune and Windows just crap:
What are you talking about? Linux isn't immune. It's loaded with Malware.
As for Windows - it's not crap. It's very VERY secure. Quite immune to threats, in fact.
revian

Post by revian »

I just read the articles at those three links in the OP. Did you notice what was at the bottom of the second article? That's right, an advertisement for Trend Micro's Deep Security computer software. Yet another company spreading fear in an effort to justify the existence of their products.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think the OP is a good rejoinder to those who think that just because they don't get viruses in Linux think they aren't going to get hacked.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Anything connected to the internet is unsecure, the only question is how much it is unsecured.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Citizen229 wrote:Anything connected to the internet is unsecure, the only question is how much it is unsecured.
That's overstating it a bit, I think....

My motto: nothing is entirely secure, so strive for as much nothing as reasonably possible. :mrgreen:
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Pjotr wrote:
Schultz wrote:And . . . all those links are to trendmicro, which is a company selling stuff. So that needs to be taken for what it's worth (i.e., the more they scare people, the more they sell).
Well put. It's like a toilet cleaner manufacturer claiming that we need to use more toilet cleaner, or lack of hygiene will kill us all. :lol:
Thanks after the day I've had I needed a laugh :lol: :lol: It seems to me that all those supporting the so called security issues are linking to security software companies - even through my lappy I can smell the bull shite - lets all hand our money over to those who really don't need and let's be honest with all the so called security software Windows still gets hacked each month - there are about as much use as a paper bag for carrying water IMHO

Return to “Chat about Linux”