Linux From Scratch Help Please

Chat about Linux in general
endusermint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux From Scratch Help Please

Postby endusermint » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:28 pm

I am trying to use Linux from scratch to learn more about Linux. Main main box is Mint Mate 1.18.0.

One of the system requirements in the book is a symlink to bash. I believe for ubuntu reasons that mint uses dash.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/vie ... treqs.html

There is the suggestion in the book that things may work out fine using dash, but I would really prefer to be as "by the book" as possible.

What are the consequences of me changing dash to bash? Is this something I can change back and forth easily? I know dash is supposed to support faster boot times, but I'm more worried about breaking my some aspect of my main distro on a hobby project.

Any insight is appreciated.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux From Scratch Help Please

Postby xenopeek » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:34 pm

If you're not comfortable rescuing your system if this change would break something, I would suggest you use VirtualBox for your experimenting (install virtualbox-qt package from Software Manager to get it). That lets you to install another operating system in a virtual machine and run it in a window like a program. If you break the operating system installed in the virtual machine, no harm done to your main distro.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Honestly I would just find out exactly what distro they recommend and use it. The last thing you need is some issue where you don't know if you made a mistake or it's the tools.

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:44 am

xenopeek wrote:If you're not comfortable rescuing your system if this change would break something, I would suggest you use VirtualBox for your experimenting (install virtualbox-qt package from Software Manager to get it). That lets you to install another operating system in a virtual machine and run it in a window like a program. If you break the operating system installed in the virtual machine, no harm done to your main distro.

+1. If you're going to try building Linux completely from source with no experience in such things you are going to break sonething. Do it in a VM or a spare computer you don't need.

Or you could just try Gentoo ... looking at the linux from scratch docs I'd say that Gentoo support is a LOT better. But I'd try that in a VM too.

endusermint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby endusermint » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:22 pm

I have slackware installed on a vm with KDE (not my favorite DE; but will get me a usable UI) and networking setup, so I guess I'll do the virtual machine route.

This means I wont be able to make full use of my hardware though right?

Thanks for the input

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am

endusermint wrote:I have slackware installed on a vm with KDE (not my favorite DE; but will get me a usable UI) and networking setup, so I guess I'll do the virtual machine route.

This means I wont be able to make full use of my hardware though right? ...

Depends on what you mean by "full use". It'll be slower of course but everything should work.

gomerpile
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gomerpile » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:31 am

best is get a raspberry PI and use that to program your Linux distro. There are some really good tots for building your kernel using PI

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:22 am

endusermint wrote:What are the consequences of me changing dash to bash?

Try it. It's easy to set back.

FWIW, I've had this for quite a while; no problems:

Code: Select all

$ ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 29 13:28 /bin/sh -> bash
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Chat about Linux”