OSX theme on 2010 netbook

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lisabonne citadel

OSX theme on 2010 netbook

Post by lisabonne citadel »

Distro: feren OS 32bit
Computer: netbook acer aspire one happy from 2010

Resolution
WSVGA (1024 x 600)

Graphics Card
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (Intel® GMA 3150) with 64 MB of dedicated memory
Microsoft® DirectX® 9 support

Processor
Type : Intel® Atom™ processor N450
Speed : 1.66 GHz
Cache : 512KB L2

Chipset
Mobile Intel® NM10 Express Chipset

Memory
1 GB DDR2 memory

Storage
250GB

Audio
High-definition (HD) audio support

AFTER INSTALLATION
it was slow - i created swap file and it had better speed improvements
web browser qupzilla is needed for fast and comfortable navigation
ipv6 disabled in gai.conf
dns server on ipv4
second dns server on gresolver :)
duckduckgo web search
avahi-daemon service disabled
rsync deleted
systemback installed
apt cache cleaned with bleachbit

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: OSX theme on 2010 netbook

Post by Hoser Rob »

A couple of points ...

First, Feren OS isn't Mint. It isn't supported here. You're likely the only user posting here. If their support forum is so bad that you have to ask this sort of question here it's frankly a useless distro for beginners.

Second, the graphics in that netbook are barely capable of playing 720p video. Cinnamon is completely unsuited for it ... like Gnome 3 or Unity it's meant for newer and fairly powerful hardware. I use KDE now but I've had Mint Cinnamon installed. ANd I'd never install it again unless it was on a machine with a 1Gb (at least) nvidia card.

There are only 2 Linux distros I consider noob suitable. Ubuntu and Mint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Well, this is the 'chat about Linux' forum, so it's a valid post here. That said, you're unlikely to see any fellow Feren OS users here.

A distro using the MATE desktop will probably run a bit snappier on that hardware. You could still use the same icons, wallpaper and install a dock (Plank, Cairo Dock or other alternatives) so it would look damn near identical.
Penn

Post by Penn »

2 threads came up a few months ago in regards to Feren that may be of interest to you.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=248928
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=244755

I'm not going to read both threads again but if I recall the shortened version is-
Feren only has one "developer", a 14 year old kid. All he did was take Mint and add a LOT of PPAs. Possibly negative because PPAs can be considered a security risk unless you trust the PPA maintainer. He also doesn't do any real development work himself and doesn't give credit in most areas to those who do. Not a thing in Feren can't be done in Mint if you just add the PPAs you like.

I haven't looked any further into it than those threads but I don't find any interest in seeing what seems to be just a person creating an ISO of what he considers to be the ideal Mint setup.

But hey, I have heard people have issues with getting Wine to work correctly and he did do that?
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

i like the idea of someone pick up cinnamon DE and try to put a vision on it.
i really dont care if the developer have only 14 years old... all it matters is...that i can have multiple looks from windows and macintosh. And its easy to do it.
Let remind you all of criticism about this distro...
its based on mint team creativity
and if this guy only have 14 years old and did something for many people easy but at the same no one did on cinnamon based distros... its because already is perfect for me.
And yes, this netbook can not run 720p videos but can record radio in mp3 format, can watch 480p videos, can see iptv through kodi, can upload and download through mega sync, and so on...

PS: i have a desktop computer that is better than this one.

Return to “Chat about Linux”