Which light, secure, distro to run on USB?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Which light, secure, distro to run on USB?

Post by overkill22 »

I'd like to hear your opinion for a linux distro that is light (must be installed on a USB <8GB), and secure.
I'll need to save some files and install a couple of small programs, so it can't be a live cd.
I don't need to connect to internet while using this distro.
Reading I came accross to Discreete Linux, but the project and the twitter account seems inactive since dec 2016.

Edit: should be supported by an active community and developer for the security updates and etc

Do you have anything to suggest and why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Which light, secure, distro to run on USB?

Post by Pierre »

small & light :?: try anti-X
http://antix.mepis.org
lots of folks seem to like that one.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Pierre wrote:small & light :?: try anti-X
Why?
It reminds me of lubuntu when it first came out...
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

well - - I've had both anti-X & LM xfce on some older PCs
and the anti-X did seem to be the better system.
:mrgreen:
but, on those older PCs it was always the CPU that was the determining issue.
- you can do most things on them, not the YouTube thing, which was always what they wanted to so.
:(

at least, that's been my experience, so far.

BTW: the main reason that I've gotten involved, was because they complained that win-xp was too slow
:o
of course it was - - SP3 was the issue, and there was never an hardware upgrade to match the software upgrade.
& that 1Gb ram is great - - most of these PCs have 512Mb of ram or even 256mb ram :roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Faust

Post by Faust »

In terms of Poker ....
" I'll see that anti-x and raise you MX-16 " :D

It's hard to fault and it just flies along .
One of the best light distros I've seen for some time ( and Solus is also very impressive ! )

" Secure " .... Hmmm , secure against what ?
Does that mean privacy focused or nearly unhackable ?
Many folks confuse those issues , and if you are not connecting to the internet , what is your security concern ?

At one end you have TAILS and at the other there is qubes , or whonix ( and maybe subgraph in between ? )
But if "light" is an important factor for you , forget about qubes and whonix .... :)

FWIW - Richard Stallman likes Trisquel , and he does not like going online .
I've played with it in a VM but not tried it on a USB stick yet .....
Last edited by Faust on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Faust wrote:In terms of Poker ....
" I'll see that anti-x and raise you MX-16 " :D

It's hard to fault and it just flies along .
One of the best light distros I've seen for some time ( and Solus is also very impressive ! )

" Secure " .... Hmmm , secure against what ?
Does that mean privacy focused or nearly unhackable ?
Many folks confuse those issues , and if you are not connecting to the internet , what is your security concern ?

At one end you have TAILS and at the other there is qubes , or whonix ( and maybe subgraph in between ? )
But if "light" is an important factor for you , forget about qubes and whonix .... :)

for secure I mean unhacakble or with some cryptography tool in case of someone stealing the USB.
I'm not planning to connect it to the internet, but I'll need to install a couple of programs and so using other devices (USB stick) to interact with the OS. The "light" factor is only because I'd like to use a USB with 8GB or less capacity.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Many distros allow you to choose Full Disk Encryption as part of the install process ,
and then there are the options of Veracrypt and LUKS .... so lot's of possibilities for locking it up tight .
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Faust wrote:Many distros allow you to choose Full Disk Encryption as part of the install process ,
and then there are the options of Veracrypt and LUKS .... so lot's of possibilities for locking it up tight .
yes, true, I know about those. So in the end any distro could work just fine if not used online.
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

+1 for TAILS with persistence

It has very regular updates and is designed to have a simple persistence set up that allows you to store key information and/or install additional programs.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

kc1di wrote:this page may be of help also https://mashtips.com/best-portable-linux-distro/
super interesting! thank you! how can I know if one of these distros comes with the modules python-qt4 and python-pip preinstalled?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

overkill22 wrote:
kc1di wrote:how can I know if one of these distros comes with the modules python-qt4 and python-pip preinstalled?
Google.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Faust

Post by Faust »

You state that your system will always be air-gapped .
The main focus of an OS such as TAILS is to protect the privacy/anonymity of users while online.

Well if you never connect your system to the sprawl , then your potential "attack surface" is very small ;
it is limited to physical access to your devices ( eg . " Evil Maid " , or simply stealing your USB stick ! ).

BTW - I'm wary of the term "unhackable" , and I prefer " not yet hacked ".

Now the problem is simply reduced to good physical security practices :-
invest in high quality locks and doors , buy a safe , or keep the USB on your person at all times
...... use something like Yubikey for logins ? .... build a Faraday Cage ?

Only you can know the factors that you think may threaten your security .

But do let us know what route you take and how it works out for you ,
.... and if you are working on some priceless , patentable invention .... feel free to send me a PM :D
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

you can make your own distro easily !

the best lightweight and versatile distro have to be based on Ubuntu... because have more apps that can be installed iin.

my opinion:

download mint xfce
install cinnamon DE on it
install all apps you desire
and make your custom live system with some commands
you can search over duckduckgo.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Faust wrote:You state that your system will always be air-gapped .
The main focus of an OS such as TAILS is to protect the privacy/anonymity of users while online.

Well if you never connect your system to the sprawl , then your potential "attack surface" is very small ;
it is limited to physical access to your devices ( eg . " Evil Maid " , or simply stealing your USB stick ! ).

BTW - I'm wary of the term "unhackable" , and I prefer " not yet hacked ".

Now the problem is simply reduced to good physical security practices :-
invest in high quality locks and doors , buy a safe , or keep the USB on your person at all times
...... use something like Yubikey for logins ? .... build a Faraday Cage ?

Only you can know the factors that you think may threaten your security .

But do let us know what route you take and how it works out for you ,
.... and if you are working on some priceless , patentable invention .... feel free to send me a PM :D
Will adopt "not yet hacked" for the future! good one ;)

that's correct, it will be always offline, but a good base is better than a bad one.

At the moment I tried to install lubuntu 17.10 live with persistence (casper-rw), but it didn't work. I can't save my preferences, only files on the partition that I created during the installation with unetbootin. I have not clear if the distros based on ubuntu still support this function since I read somewhere that it could be supported only until 16.10 or something similar. I wasn't able to find specific information about that.
catweazel wrote:
overkill22 wrote:
kc1di wrote:how can I know if one of these distros comes with the modules python-qt4 and python-pip preinstalled?
Google.
I agree. I remember there was a website with all the libraries preinstalled in each distros, but I'm not able to find that site anymore... probably I'm not using the right keywords to find it. I'm trying with "list installed packages *distro name*" but I find only forum topics not relevant for my needs.
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

overkill22 wrote:
Pierre wrote:small & light :?: try anti-X
Why?
It reminds me of lubuntu when it first came out...
antiX has been around a lot longer than lubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux”