Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Retic1959

Re: Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Post by Retic1959 »

xdicey wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:44 am How does PCLOS KDE5 stack up? Anyone gave it a try?
The installation failed last time I tried , wont bother with it again .
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Another vote for Manjaro KDE. Though I wouldn't recommend it for complete novices, it's a well polished operating system, has a nice installer & the AUR is quite a treasure trove, even if there is undoubtedly some cruft in there. :mrgreen:

I'm going to try it on one of my other netbooks once I've finished doing the updates for Mint (17.3 Xfce) and claimed wanted data off a "spare" HDD, so I can compare the performance & memory footprint.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

BG405 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:41 am Another vote for Manjaro KDE. Though I wouldn't recommend it for complete novices, it's a well polished operating system, has a nice installer & the AUR is quite a treasure trove, even if there is undoubtedly some cruft in there. :mrgreen:

I'm going to try it on one of my other netbooks once I've finished doing the updates for Mint (17.3 Xfce) and claimed wanted data off a "spare" HDD, so I can compare the performance & memory footprint.
Dpkg is in the AUR , tried it for S&G , it works . Comes in handy for those pesky .deb files . :lol:
chitownWEB

Post by chitownWEB »

I was a happy camper for many years running Mint KDE on my laptop (main workhorse).

Since Mint dropped KDE, I made the switch to Kubuntu about a month ago.
Well, I am NOT happy with it as:

a) It takes about 2-3 times longer to startup than Mint KDE
b) It uses quite a bit more resources to run Digikam than what Mint KDE did
c) It crashed on me twice, which is two times more within a month than what Mint KDE did during several years of use

One of the reasons I switched from Ubuntu to Mint KDE back then was because of integrated file indexing (baloo) and the better file manager (Dolphin).
Well, meanwhile I found Krusader to be a pretty decent alternative to Dolphin which can be downloaded from the software center.
As far as file indexing/document management, there are a few options out there like DocFetcher or LogicalDoc which could probably provide an useful alternative.

With that being said, I'd appreciate any recommendation yall might have to help me find a new "home" for my laptop that'll do me years of good justice like Mint KDE did. Linux Mint distros seem to be rock solid and very stable, so maybe Cinnamon might be a good option...?!?!

Since I've been using Ubuntu based distros since my switch from MS to Linux, I'd probably tend to stick to that, but I'm open to solid non-Ubuntu suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort to help a fellow Linux-brotha out! ;-)
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

chitownWEB wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:57 pm I was a happy camper for many years running Mint KDE on my laptop (main workhorse).

Since Mint dropped KDE, I made the switch to Kubuntu about a month ago.
Well, I am NOT happy with it as:

a) It takes about 2-3 times longer to startup than Mint KDE
b) It uses quite a bit more resources to run Digikam than what Mint KDE did
c) It crashed on me twice, which is two times more within a month than what Mint KDE did during several years of use

One of the reasons I switched from Ubuntu to Mint KDE back then was because of integrated file indexing (baloo) and the better file manager (Dolphin).
Well, meanwhile I found Krusader to be a pretty decent alternative to Dolphin which can be downloaded from the software center.
As far as file indexing/document management, there are a few options out there like DocFetcher or LogicalDoc which could probably provide an useful alternative.

With that being said, I'd appreciate any recommendation yall might have to help me find a new "home" for my laptop that'll do me years of good justice like Mint KDE did. Linux Mint distros seem to be rock solid and very stable, so maybe Cinnamon might be a good option...?!?!

Since I've been using Ubuntu based distros since my switch from MS to Linux, I'd probably tend to stick to that, but I'm open to solid non-Ubuntu suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort to help a fellow Linux-brotha out! ;-)
I switched from Linux Mint KDE to Manjaro KDE and haven't looked back since . It's fast , solid and a pleasure to use . In some ways it's easier to use than a Ubuntu based distro . No ppa's to deal with and having access to the Arch User Repository is a big plus IMO . It's a rolling release , you never have to reinstall it and you get the latest and greatest soon after release . Give it a try and see if it's what you're looking for .
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

chitownWEB wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:57 pm ...I'm open to solid non-Ubuntu suggestions.
Writing as another ex-Mint KDE alumnus, IMO you'd be doing yourself a big favour by gulping a handful of Brave Pills & seriously exploring that "scary" non-buntu world. Really excellent Plasma5 experiences await you with any of: Manjaro [me, now], openSUSE Tumbleweed [me, before], KFedora [me, in VM], KaOS [me, in VM]... Those first two are Rolling [which back in my Mint days was a concept that terrified me, but now i wouldn't have it any other way]. KaOS is also Rolling, but for many people it might be a bit too far Out There, given its highly-principled but idiosyncratic narrow-Repo ethos. The other openSUSE is Leap, if you prefer the LTS rather than Rolling paradigm. Fyi, for me, as others have also written in this topic, Manjaro KDE is simply excellent. Each that i have mentioned here rate >> Kubuntu, IMO. Anyway, you really have nothing to lose by looking... download some ISOs, make a few VMs, & play away to see if you like them or not. Please make it a fair evaluation though; non-buntu distros are NON-buntu, so accept that you will have to do some new learning. If you can accept that proposition & act accordingly, you'll find much sparkling treasure over the other side of the mountain from buntuland.
Wonder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wonder »

I'm another ex-Mint KDE...
In this last months or years I try some distros, not try Manjaro (kdemeoz, I have yet to try this distro and I think a mp yours :) ).
Try the last year neon, not good for me, in this moment, try kubuntu, for me works fine, but I think this is trial and error.
What I can do well, another user does not, your computer is different and that makes many variables.
I think the best thing is to go testing the different distros and select the one that works best for you.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Hi Wonder, lovely to see you again.

For the others' info, both Wonder & i, after Mint KDE, found a happy home for a while at Maui. Very sadly though, its Devs abruptly abandoned it, necessitating another exodus. Though i was unhappy at the time, in hindsight it paradoxically helped me, in that otherwise i might never have learned about openSUSE, Manjaro, KaOS, KFedora etc. Sometimes unexpected upheavals can eventually result in good things... & i suppose that sentiment also applies to the event which stimulated this & similar threads... Mint choosing to also abandon their KDE spin.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have Mint 18.3 KDE installed in a VM,

and I just cannot imagine trying to use that Distro....
for me, it is no loss to see it go away.

the 18.3 Cinnamon distro IMO, is the single best distro to be released.
easy to get used to,
does every thing that Linux can

and easy on the eyes and nerves.

I have mentioned elsewhere before, that every time I install a distro in a VM, to make it "easy to use",
I tend to keep putting shortcuts and Panel addons to make it work like Cinnamon....

the VM installs allow me to try them all out, and I keep coming back home to 18.3 Cinnamon as my Daily Driver.

I have hard metal installs of 18.3 Xcfe, LM19 Tara, on an Acer 5253 laptop

LMDE3-Cindy on a partition alongside my 18.3 Cinnamon, so can compare those to my Daily Driver with ease.

LM19 is one that I will never try to use daily, too many problems that I have observed from others with it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

No Cinnamon in my cup of tea please . :D
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Retic1959 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:22 pm Dpkg is in the AUR , tried it for S&G , it works . Comes in handy for those pesky .deb files . :lol:
I'm sure I saw Yaourt pulling in .deb packages as well. Perhaps I didn't imagine it :lol: BTW I've since put Manjaro KDE on an old (but little used) 120GB hard disk in my Toshiba NB305 (1GB RAM, single core Atom @ 1.66GHz) & it's good enough for its main intended purpose .. for my mate to browse the web & use the email program. I'll grab another 2GB stick for that at some point which will speed things up somewhat.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Still using Mint 18.2 KDE. Will use it until they pry my cold dead hands from the keyboard, or until updates stop. Whichever comes first. :?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
cogsncogs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cogsncogs »

I've been taking Kubuntu 18.04.2 for a test drive for the past 3 days and it's been smooth sailing. Boot-up and shutdown times are very good. I've found 1 bug in Dolphin though. When I click in the left sidebar under "Drives" to mount a partition, I get a BIG red scary box informing me there was an error and that the drive is already mounted, which it isn't. I have to "X" it out and click again to mount it. Other than that, everything is fine.

It actually uses about 100MB less RAM than LM Xfce 19.1 at boot-up. Around 360MB which climbs to 640MB (no running apps) after approx 12hrs of heavy use, which is about the same as LM Cinnamon 18.3 at boot-up, at least on my hardware... :mrgreen: I will use either Kubuntu or LM Xfce as my main distro on this box. A hard decision to make. I don't understand the dislike for KDE. Not hard to use at all and I'm what some would call a "Linux Noob". Maybe it's that some find it hard to get the look and feel that they want, as KDE separates theme settings for Qt and GTK. I find that the default applications in KDE are by far, superior.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Still using Manjaro KDE. Still loving it. My Mint KDE 17 days feel a very loooooong time ago. Indeed my fixed-release distro days feel a very loooooong time ago. Mint KDE 17 was wonderful, coming from Win7. Manjaro KDE is a superb replacement, for me.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Recently installed Debian 10 KDE Buster. It's pretty sweet. Buster is in freeze and will become the New Debian Stable in a few months.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Well after 12 years of mint, I moved to Kubuntu. Gotta have my KDE Plasma. Been a fun ride, if Mint decides to do Plasma, I will take another look.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Return to “Chat about Linux”