Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Chat about Linux in general
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Postby rdonnelly » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 am

I tried the Neon on a USB stick, I like it, it looks just like Mint KDE, it does not come with all the same preinstalled apps, but that is not a big deal. For now I will stick with Mint KDE until it is out of date. Too bad Mint is dropping KDE.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Postby tdockery97 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:23 am

I also plan to stay with Mint KDE through the lifetime of 18.3. Four more years is plenty of time to continue enjoying what I consider to be the best KDE distro.
Linux Mint 18.2 KDE

srq2625
Level 3
Level 3

Postby srq2625 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 am

Reading through the entire thread, saw some really good suggestions. What I'm surprised I didn't see is SolydXK. Yes, I know, it's not Ubuntu based but then there were a number of suggestions made here that are not. It's Debian (Stretch, now at 9.1.X IIRC). I've been using it since shortly after its inception, some three or four years ago. Since they moved to Debian stable as a base, this thing has been both very quick and very stable. And, surprisingly, quite a small footprint in terms of both CPU and memory.

aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Postby aes2011 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 am

There's Chakra as well!

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jedinovice » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:14 am

srq2625 wrote:Reading through the entire thread, saw some really good suggestions. What I'm surprised I didn't see is SolydXK. Yes, I know, it's not Ubuntu based but then there were a number of suggestions made here that are not. It's Debian (Stretch, now at 9.1.X IIRC). I've been using it since shortly after its inception, some three or four years ago. Since they moved to Debian stable as a base, this thing has been both very quick and very stable. And, surprisingly, quite a small footprint in terms of both CPU and memory.

But not so good for those of us who need up to date software.
Nothing against Solydk itself - I like the idea - but it's for those that place stability as their number 1 priority. As such, apps are frozen in time for a long time.
I kinda need the latest Kdenlive! I don't need to update Libreoffice often but I will when Microsoft significantly change their file format AGAIN.

Just sayin' Solydk is for stability hence 'stable.'
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

srq2625
Level 3
Level 3

Postby srq2625 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Jedinovice wrote:But not so good for those of us who need up to date software.

I can understand that. For SOME users, the need for newer software can be satisfied by backports - some, but not all.

There is also, maybe for some individuals, the ability to compile from source.

Finally, you're not one of these (I've read enough of your posts to know otherwise), but I've seen many cases where the stated need for the latest version is more a case of "it's there, therefore I need it" rather than "there's functionality I need that's only available in the most recent version."

For me, for most software, I can get by with the stable version. But there are a couple programs where I've had to either use backports (hplip for a very new printer) or compile the source (darktable, for example).

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Hmmm...WPS office won't run under KDE neon. Runs fine in Mint KDE 18. I'm guessing it's a missing dependency.

Anyone try it on kubuntu?

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 pm

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kdemeoz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 pm

MadmanRB wrote:Personally I say dont use PClinux as its severely limited by its package selection and installing third party packages is impossible without a lot of hard work for the end user and it takes forever for a package to be approved by its packagers.
For me the most logical distro to go to for Mint KDE users to go to is Maui linux, its based on Ubuntu like Mint is and offers PPA support and a very refined build of KDE neon and it has a lot of linux mints tools baked in:

https://mauilinux.org/

I would say Kubuntu is a good option but Maui is much better and offers its own benefits that outclass Kubuntu

IMO Kubuntu is sub-optimal; a comparatively poor implementation of KDE Plasma5. As per my earlier post in this thread, Maui was my OS after i upgraded to Plasma5 from Mint 17.3 KDE4, & for the most part i liked Maui very much, until 17.06 which disappointed me. I went from Maui to openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE, & am revelling in it; a really wonderful P5 deployment indeed. Anyone who desires a fine P5 experience really ought to give oS TW KDE a serious try.

Given all the love being expressed in this thread for KDE Neon, i launched my Neon VM to look it over once again, upgraded it from P5.11.0 to 5.11.2, & then remembered all over again why i went to Maui not Neon once i moved on from Mint 17.3. In a head to head contest of Neon vs Maui, Maui wins easily, for me. However, having grown accustomed to having current applications in my TW P5, yesterday rediscovering the comparative "oldness" of many apps in Neon & its repos [ditto Maui] was jarring [c/o their Ubuntu 16.04 LTS base, i assume]. Additionally, aesthetics not only functionality are important to me in my OS+DE. Neon has never let me set my desired GTK2 & GTK3 Themes; it reverts to the noxious Breeze 100% of the time. thus said apps tend to look more like Gnome than KDE ones for me in Neon. Maui did not have that problem; like Tumbleweed it also respected my choices.

If soon-to-be ex-MintKDE users are determined to remain in the *buntu-derivative universe for their next P5 OS, Maui is a fine choice. If said ex-users are willing to be a bit braver & leave the *buntu-derivatives, openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE provides a stunning P5 experience**, with a robust code-base beneath, current application versions, rolling-release tempered by the impressive automated openQA process, & the really nice system Rollbacks capability provided care of BtrFS + Snapper. I'd not known of any of that before i discovered oS, but now it just fits me like a glove.

**I am a heavy user of P5 aesthetics, multiple VDs, Activities, & KWin Desktop Effects [multiple]. Tumbleweed was the first P5 deployment, of the many i tested, which has never broken under my intensive usage of these features & functions. KaOS also subsequently proved solid wrt these tests. Sadly, in all *buntu-based P5 distros i tested, KWin couldn't keep up, & frequent KWin crashes or otherwise partial loss of function resulted, necessitating a plasmadesktop restart but sometimes an actual reboot. All that is in the past for me, since TW. If other P5 fans are light users of KWin & Desktop Effects, then you'll possibly experience few or none of the problems to which i alluded, in your chosen *buntu-based P5. FYI.
openSUSE Tumbleweed Plasma 5.11.3, & Manjaro KDE 5.11.4 [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jedinovice » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:40 am

srq2625 wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:But not so good for those of us who need up to date software.

I can understand that. For SOME users, the need for newer software can be satisfied by backports - some, but not all.

There is also, maybe for some individuals, the ability to compile from source.

Finally, you're not one of these (I've read enough of your posts to know otherwise), but I've seen many cases where the stated need for the latest version is more a case of "it's there, therefore I need it" rather than "there's functionality I need that's only available in the most recent version."

Yeah. I know. But there are distros for that. Fedora comes to mind.

I like(d) Mint because it was stable and the software at the level of functionality I needed. But having PPA's does give you the option of the latest version should you need it. I've generally found the software in Mint to be excellent and only needed updates for Kdenlive and Libreoffice - and then then Libreoffice is very occasional.

What I am liking about Neon, though, is that it's 'obsession' with KDE :D means it seems to update the KDE software suite often and that means the latest Kdenlive without PPA! Ohhhh, nice! AMVs require lots of wipse, speed controls, overlays, effects... added functionality there is used!

Now, if Solydk does allow for a stable software base with the occasional update as per Mint, it's definitely a contender. Besides, this is Linux. The more choice the better! And, if Mint is (sorta) throwing us KDE users out into the cold (yes, I know, you can install KDE on top of XFCE but...) then the more KDE options the better!

At the moment Neon is working out very well. The wife cannot tell the difference between Neon and Mint apart from the default color scheme for the task bar - but I have to do battle with the BIOS busted Acer and I am neck deep in exams and University submissions. I have to time my attack carefully...
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jedinovice » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:45 am

kdemeoz wrote:If soon-to-be ex-MintKDE users are determined to remain in the *buntu-derivative universe for their next P5 OS, Maui is a fine choice.

Like I have said - the more choice the better.

But I have to ask; why the name "Maul?'

I presume as in 'Darth...?'

For me as a Jedi this might prove... troublesome.

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:49 am

Jedinovice wrote:But I have to ask; why the name "Maul?'

It's Maui, not Maul.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Retic1959
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Retic1959 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:55 am

Popped on to the SolydK forum , discovered they have community editions based on Debian testing for those that want more up to date apps . https://solydxk.com/downloads/community-editions/

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jedinovice » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:01 am

catweazel wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:But I have to ask; why the name "Maul?'

It's Maui, not Maul.

Oooohh! :shock:

Lords of Kobol, my eyesight is not what it was!!! I had perfect eyesight until four years ago and then it's just gone downhill and not time to see an optician! I just buy cheap glasses that help me see the books and laptop and get on with the work! Taking a trip to the local Mall is a major trip out for me with the workload.

Man, i want to get past exam season and end the first year of business when I can take some real leave and catch up with my life....

Good news, I have just received the call from Immigrasi that my business visa has been renewed and I have been allocated 5 years! That's gonna help reduce the workload in the future a lot!

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:21 am

Jedinovice wrote:Taking a trip to the local Maii

You mean Mall, yes?
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jedinovice » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:34 am

catweazel wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:Taking a trip to the local Maii

You mean Mall, yes?

I need stronger glasses.

And two weeks holiday.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:49 pm

Yeah I'll look into it. Maybe it's time I ditch wps since it has virtually no development or support.

Trying out onlyoffice now, buy it messes up some MS office PowerPoint slides.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:11 pm

mr_raider wrote:Yeah I'll look into it. Maybe it's time I ditch wps since it has virtually no development or support.

Trying out onlyoffice now, buy it messes up some MS office PowerPoint slides.
The only way to be completely compatible is to run MS office. I run it in a VM. I think my Win10 and Office licence keys combined cost about £10 sterling on Ebay.

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Jedinovice wrote:
srq2625 wrote:Reading through the entire thread, saw some really good suggestions. What I'm surprised I didn't see is SolydXK. Yes, I know, it's not Ubuntu based but then there were a number of suggestions made here that are not. It's Debian (Stretch, now at 9.1.X IIRC). I've been using it since shortly after its inception, some three or four years ago. Since they moved to Debian stable as a base, this thing has been both very quick and very stable. And, surprisingly, quite a small footprint in terms of both CPU and memory.

But not so good for those of us who need up to date software.
Nothing against Solydk itself - I like the idea - but it's for those that place stability as their number 1 priority. As such, apps are frozen in time for a long time.
I kinda need the latest Kdenlive! I don't need to update Libreoffice often but I will when Microsoft significantly change their file format AGAIN.

Just sayin' Solydk is for stability hence 'stable.'

If you need up to date solftware why in the flying frak are you using Mint? You continually amaze me. How many GOOD forums have you been flamed off???

BG405
Level 5
Level 5

Postby BG405 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:07 pm

There are some good suggestions here. Maui looks interesting but I will need to find a way of viewing their forums in PC-friendly format before trying that out. OT for this thread though.

I'm going to stick with Mint KDE for the life of the 18.x series and will continue to use Mint for my Xfce machines and Cinnamon on another machine for familiarity once I've reinstalled this one with Mint 18.2 KDE. I'll probably clone this installation to that machine so I can carry on where I'll have left off with Cinnamon. It's such an excellent DE even if it doesn't really suit my needs and workflow 100%. It's close, though & I love experimenting.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - LM17.3 Xfce 32--------------------K7S5A Athlon 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 -----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Return to “Chat about Linux”