Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Replacement KDE distros... Feedback here!

Post by catweazel »

dth2 wrote:I have moved from mint kde to neon. I like the lack of applications automatically installed and the speed of plasma 5 updates.
The lack of applications in Neon was just too much. I was constantly installing simple cli tools that come standard in Mint. Anyway, I ended up settling on Manjaro.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

As I say, I have to prioritize my time! I hole up in the hotel TONIGHT!

Two days off with cellphones firmly turned off! Then, with exam season finished, I hope to delve deeper into Neon. Then I hope to attach both Synaptic and Aptik file listings that can be loaded in so people can grab and load in all the libraries, languages and tools needed to make Neon much more like Mint.

But later. Had enough 'emergencies' this year to fill out a life time.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Jedinovice wrote:Then I hope to attach both Synaptic and Aptik file listings that can be loaded in so people can grab and load in all the libraries, languages and tools needed to make Neon much more like Mint.
That would be very useful indeed! And much appreciated. :D
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Wonder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wonder »

dth2 wrote:
I just tried openSUSE tumbleweed, and while it installed and ran well, installing NVIDIA's proprietary driver was a total nightmare. I was getting compiler segfaults on a clean install. Anyway, based on your recommendation I'm downloading Neon now.
catweazel really surprised to read your comments here (given your fantastic knowledge seen in this forum). There is a nvidia repo for tumbleweed which works as well and as straightforward as installing the nvidia driver on mint.

I have moved from mint kde to neon. I like the lack of applications automatically installed and the speed of plasma 5 updates.
Yes, I confirm this.

In TW now, are a repo, but you need that, your graphic card are 400 or newer.

But manually, also, its easy, isn't total nightmare. I installed my nvidia driver in Leap and TW and its very very easy. With repo, its automatic ( I try 2 methods, by repo and manually).
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

BG405 wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:Then I hope to attach both Synaptic and Aptik file listings that can be loaded in so people can grab and load in all the libraries, languages and tools needed to make Neon much more like Mint.
That would be very useful indeed! And much appreciated. :D
Will do. But you have to give me some time!!!
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Jedinovice wrote: Will do. But you have to give me some time!!!
I'm sure your couple of days off will be sufficient :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, such info will be very valuable, when time and energy permits. There's no rush as we still have LM18.3 KDE to look forward to and gives some breathing space for Mint KDE addicts. In fact I have been thinking along similar lines but my knowledge, or lack thereof, might be a slight obstacle ...
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

BG405 wrote:
Jedinovice wrote: Will do. But you have to give me some time!!!
I'm sure your couple of days off will be sufficient :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, such info will be very valuable, when time and energy permits. There's no rush as we still have LM18.3 KDE to look forward to and gives some breathing space for Mint KDE addicts. In fact I have been thinking along similar lines but my knowledge, or lack thereof, might be a slight obstacle ...
I have managed to rustle something up other than dandruff and put it in a new thread so it does not get lost in all the noise here.

Now got to get to that hotel!!!
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

catweazel wrote:
rick gen wrote: I doubt there'll even be a LM 18.3 KDE.
The Mint blog says otherwise.
mr_raider wrote:They have committed to releasing 18.3.
That's nice consolation, but still doesn't change the fact that it will be dropped eventually.
I think it will have impact on the number of their userbase.
I myself don't use Cinnamon/Mate on a regular basis. I'd rather use Xfce.
They should also focus on making significant improvement on the native file manager.
I'll be happy to see them add options to make it a XP-like File Manager.
I always thought the OS'es most salient feature is the File manager itself, and when I think of XP, I think of its FM.
KDE's Dolphin is simply different and I prefer it over any other distro FM.
Give me a better Dolphin in Cinnamon and I'll forget about KDE. :D
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

catweazel wrote:
dth2 wrote:I have moved from mint kde to neon. I like the lack of applications automatically installed and the speed of plasma 5 updates.
The lack of applications in Neon was just too much. I was constantly installing simple cli tools that come standard in Mint. Anyway, I ended up settling on Manjaro.

Cheers.
Manjaro had Timeshift in their repos before Mint did , that eliminates the last roadblock for me in dealing with a rolling release . I'll wind up setting up a dual boot config alomgside LM KDE and migrating to Manjaro KDE as well .
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Linux Mint 18.3 KDE & Xfce are approved for beta release.
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso
I'm probably not going to seriously look for a Mint KDE replacement until 2021.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

rick gen wrote:Linux Mint 18.3 KDE & Xfce are approved for beta release.
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso
I'm probably not going to seriously look for a Mint KDE replacement until 2021.
2021? Don't even know if I'll be alive then.

I'll start shopping around July 2018. Ubuntu 18.04 will be at it's .1 release and Mint XFCE 19 should be out.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I'll certainly try the Beta release on my test machine. It will be interesting to see if it behaves better on that awful hardware than LM18.2 KDE. 18.2 (at least in a live session, haven't installed) works better on my old Acer, which currently runs 17.3 KDE very well indeed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Well, I've gone over to the dark side...

I had a lot of niggling issues with Manjaro such as video hiccups when moving the mouse from one window on one monitor to a video running full screen on the other monitor. I tried everything to fix it but no go so I've switched permanently to LM Cinnamon 18.3 - no video glitches.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

catweazel wrote:Well, I've gone over to the dark side...

I had a lot of niggling issues with Manjaro such as video hiccups when moving the mouse from one window on one monitor to a video running full screen on the other monitor. I tried everything to fix it but no go so I've switched permanently to LM Cinnamon 18.3 - no video glitches.
Oh dear, nooooo, not The Dark Side. ;-) I do feel sad about it for you though, coz a little while before the time i read that you had changed to Manjaro KDE, i had begun testing it in a VM in my oS TW KDE Tower, & was so impressed with it that i whacked it onto my Lappy instead of its hitherto oS TW KDE. In fact, only within the past 24-36 hrs as i was poking around in the Manjaro fora i saw your introductory post there, & thought "aha, i know where that user's come from". But now you've gone again. I only use one monitor per pc, so i suppose the problem that annoyed you can't happen to me. Good luck with your ongoing spiciness.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kdemeoz wrote:i was poking around in the Manjaro fora i saw your introductory post there, & thought "aha, i know where that user's come from". But now you've gone again. I only use one monitor per pc, so i suppose the problem that annoyed you can't happen to me. Good luck with your ongoing spiciness.
:mrgreen:

The final straw was installing the liquorix kernel to get the benefit of its fine-tuned pre-emption. I figured if anything would fix it, that ought to. So, I installed it and got it running but the nvidia-lqx script expected a lower version of the kernel. Being the good citizen, I promptly reported it as a bug. The *-lqx maintainer 'fixed it' by deleting nvidia support for the kernel :lol:

Well, if that's how they fix things in Manjaro land, I was having no part of it.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

catweazel wrote:Well, I've gone over to the dark side...

I must say I have tried Cinnamon as well considering the KDE issue. I had the beta running until full release of 18.3 and have quite enjoyed it also.

I have had 18.2 KDE issues with video glitches as well as intermittent issues coming out of suspend with a blank black screen with no way to get to my desktop other than a hard reset. I have had none of those issues with Cinnamon. I am still trying it out, but so far I am quite impressed. Kudos to clem and the team!
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
kenj66
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kenj66 »

Hello Jedinovice! I think I may have come to the party a little late since it seems you have made your decision. I have been running Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon for three years and just like you, I have been wanting to run Kdenlive. Well, the current version available for Mint 17.3 is 0.9.10 which is three years old and unstable. When I try to update from a PPA it complains about "Trusty." But recently I found that Kdenlive is available as an AppImage. I am running the very latest version of Kdenlive 17.12.0 right now and it is stable - Wonderful!

AppImages https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/

However, and this is the sticky point - the Waveform Monitor and indeed all the video 'scopes have crazy indications and are unusable. Mind you, it doesn't affect the editing or export but I find these tools highly useful and make Kdenlive more attractive as an editor. So, I went to the KDE forums to seek help. Crickets - for four days! Makes me want to stay with the Mint community because of the lively discussions like this one!

I continued troubleshooting on my own and tried a Mint 18.3 KDE live dvd. Kdenlive worded flawlessly! Since it works properly on KDE and the Knoppix 8.1 distro i tried with LXDE I think the problem is with Cinnamon. Maybe they should name it KDEnlive. After looking at the alternative distros with KDE I have decided that if I am going to go through the pain of upgrading from Mint 17.3 anyway I might as well stay with Mint and postpone the alternative distro question for another three years. .02

-=Ken=-
KDE Neon 5.12 AMD Ryzen 3 1200 ASRock MB 16 GB RAM
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Hi Ken,

Hey – everyone is welcome to the party! And we are all here to provide feedback and data.

[Er, long post as I cover a number of points. I do this on occasion!]

Re: Kdenlive

I'm a little confused, or you're confused! It's one of us! :D

Kdenlive does mean KDEnlive! The editor was written specifically for QT and KDE and it is now formally part of the official KDE Plasma software package. That is why I now get Kdenlive updated with all the other KDE components and software like clockwork in Neon. It's rather nice. If Kdenlive is a priority then Neon is a good distro to run with. The speed with which Kdenlive is developing now – aided now by being part of the official KDE software collection – is also a factor in Neon's favor in that it pumps out KDE updates with great speed. I'm liking the new functionality and new effects in Kdenlive.

I have no idea about Knoppix but I can understand the silence on the Kdenlive forums as it's really about running Kdenlive and not about support under a particular distro. It's more a "Linux Questions" kind of question as it's a distro/install issue that video editors are not going to be able to answer!

As you note, for Mint 17/Plasma 4 the latest version of Kdenlive that can be run is actual 0.9.10 as you note but I begged the Mint team not to update the repositories because 0.9.10 has a load of nasty bugs. By the time 0.9.10 was being developed the Kdenlive team's focus was clearly Plasma 5 and formally joining up with KDE and they got sloppy on the last Plasma 4 release.

I think what you are saying is that you have managed to 'crowbar' a Plasma 5 rendering of Kdenlive which seems an odd thing to do when you can upgrade to any >"Trusty" distro with the Plasma 5 run times. I mean, it's free. You can also test with a VM. of course, it depends on your use case, mind...

NEON:

Regarding Neon – I was under so much work pressure that I just had to grab a distro I could install on new laptops and know would have full support NOW! So my hand was forced. As it stand, for me, Neon is proving a winner. Yes, installing the build libraries and the like are a little bit of a pain but Ubuntu itself is a minimal distro where you have to do the same thing so it's not a biggee. Once everything is installed Neon runs effectively the same as Mint KDE for me … and my wife … and the local orphans I managed to get a collection to donate two laptops and an HP printer/scanner which I had to set up with… well, it had to be Neon. I was hanged if I was going to install Mint KDE and then it dropped as a supported DE. Yes, it can be argued it does not mean a lot and KDE can be installed alongside Xfce – in fact I have done just that in the past – but it is screaming for user confusion later.

I will explain my case in some detail for posters to see why I have made the call I have and what considerations can impact choice of DE.

WORDS ABOUT MY USE CASE (Re: KDE vs Cinnamon et al.)

Now, I think my use case is different to most people's here. A lot of Linux users are power users with massive tower block desktops running multiple monitors and all "mod cons." For both cost and practical reasons I just use an aging Atom n2840 netbook/laptop. The sad thing is that I something of a 'power user' in terms of functionality: I do far more than browse the internet and watch online movies. But the hardware I have to use has to be 'entry level.'

I did buy a newer Acer ES1-132 but my wife discovered that she did need portability and battery life after all and took it off me!!! She did give me her N3060 15" job but it's big and heavy and not suitable for my daily use outside of student doing research or watching anime. So it's back to the (t)rusty ASUS X200M

Re Screen glitches and the like:

Soooo… others seem to be having troubles with multiple monitor support of desktop effects in Neon and other KDE distros but I do not use these things so I have no idea whether these glitches are distro or Plasma 5 issues.

I did have a problem with menu flickering in Neon (and not Mint, mind) but it turned out to be compositing which I just switched off. I have been so busy this year setting up my business that I have not had the time or the will or do any diagnostics. I haven't got Mintstick to work under Neon yet but I have found alternatives and I am still spending around 18 hours a day asleep from sheer exhaustion. It's been relentless this year… When I have some real time and my brain is in less of a fog I will go flicking switches and seeing what happens in Neon and then give proper feedback. Right now, it works well enough. For now, just staying awake six hours a day is enough. No hyperbole there. This year has been back breaking.

WHY KDE:

For me KDE is a must because:

1) The general workflow suits me. That is important. I feel that both Mac and Windows have gone insane when it comes to UI. Though I always switch to Kickstart 'Application Menu' mode.

2) KDE is essentially the only DE where you can change the workflow. This is essential because, after many years of battling pirate Windows here in Indonesia, I finally have converts. But the trouble with converts is that they are always restless and want things to work exactly as they expect or… it's back to Windows! So I always get…

"Can Linux do…?"
"Can I…?"
"Will it…?"
"Can I set it so…?"

With KDE the answer is always "YES!" With any other DE it's training time and trying to prevent the rush back to Windows as people resist learning or changing old habits. With KDE I can flick a couple of switches and the convert is surprised and happy. I actually believe that, contrary to popular opinion, KDE is the best DE for a Linux newbie because the learning curve can be minimized. It also helps when I show that KDE can do more than Windows! It makes the (often FORCED) change more palatable. No way was I giving the orphans Windows. They had one old laptop that was running Windows 7 that was unusable due to the viruses and pirate software that is a staple here in Indonesia.

3) KDE's keyboard shortcut support is second to none and essential for my needs. I literally use my laptop on planes, trains and automobiles and am moving the aging machine around the house all the time. A desktop is useless to me. As such, user defined keyboard shortcuts are a lifesaver for me! I barely touch the kickstart menu.

[This is also a huge boon when it comes to introducing people to Linux. Instead of explaining a process to start an app or run a script I can just say; "Press this." User writes the keyboard shortcut down and I have no calls asking; "How do I… again?" You can imagine how KDE's import and export of keyboard shortcuts is an essential for me.]

I think this is different to most other people's use case scenarios where the mouse figures a great deal. Switching to Cinnamon or Mate would be hard on me as they are still mouse centric UI's. Nothing wrong with that and they do come with user defined keyboard shortcuts but the support does not fit my very specific needs. I have something like 50 keyboard shortcuts to access apps and data on the move. I need to be as mouse/touchpad free as I realistically can.

4) Yeah, although Kdenlive is used by me more for entertainment than serious use, it's still a critical piece of software for me. Given it was written for KDE it rather makes sense to use the software under it's native DE. But also, I find the KDE apps are excellent! I like the KDE approach of "Simple by default. Powerful when needed." KDE does not assume the user is dumb and provides powerful software by default and design but with basic functions on display only by default and the the advanced user can add to the toolbar, menu or switch in "Advanced" mode as required. The only KDE software I have found I have not taken to has been Calligra Office. I find for other DE's take more minimal approach with their apps. I understand why but it's not for me. I will willingly sacrifice speed for functionality. I note a LOT of users here put a major premium on speed... such that you have users with sigs stating that they are using 6 core i7's with 16GB of RAM and running XFCE!

5) I think Dolphin is a lovely file manager. I do not like the defaults but with a couple of switches Dolphin is THE file manager for me! Nemo comes close but lacks that user definability that I find a huge boon. Given the file manager is the DE to a large degree this counts for a lot.

All this does mean that KDE is not the nippiest DE on a minimal laptop and, I have to say that while Plasma 4 actually positively flew on this old machine, Plasma 5 lags a little. (Running on the more up to date N3060 or even the N3350 has been fine though – with all desktop effects turned off mind!)

Sooo….

I mention this to explain my use case scenario which I suspect is VERY different to most other users here
. Very few would bother trying video editing on what amounts to a dual core atom. Also, I suspect most users here work with power machines that sit in one place rather than being lifted from room to room dropped into a backpack or run on a train. I have sat on the floor of a local airport and done some video editing while waiting for flights. Battery life and portability outweigh speed for me!

Soooo… for those weighing whether to jump to another distro or DE it depends on use case. I figure if one's day to day operation is mouse centric and working on a fixed location laptop or desktop then switching to another DE should not be much of a problem and I figure a lot of Mint KDE users can switch to Cinnamon without much hassle especially if people are having glitches with KDE. As I say, I think my use case is the utter inverse of most users here and so I am not hitting these troubles.

I would argue, though, that ironically enough, KDE is best for minimal spec netbook where portability and use without a mouse is most important! Neon is also worth considering if one uses the KDE app base a lot – which I do. So you can rather see that, in my case, the DE comes before the distro.

Some thoughts for you (all.)
As I say, when my brain is clearer and I can delve into Neon a bit more I will give a full review of Neon. Not there yet.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Jedinovice wrote:Kdenlive does mean KDEnlive! The editor was written specifically for QT and KDE and it is now formally part of the official KDE Plasma software package.
Indeed. I believe it stands for "KDE non-linear video editor". :wink:

Had theme issues when I tried it on LM17.3 Cinnamon (some UI elements unreadable) whereas it looks & works great on my netbook running LM17.3 KDE; wondering about compatibility of the latest versions with Plasma 4 as I'm currently running VirtualBox 5.2 which states it's for Plasma 5 and that runs fine on P4?
kenj66
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kenj66 »

@Jedinovice
THIS is the kind of discussion I'm talkin' 'bout :D It is unfortunate that the KDE forums are so ......., um, dead, relatively speaking. Despite your hectic scheduled you have replied above and beyond my asking. Thank you!

Perhaps you missed checking out the AppImage release of Kdenlive. It is a newer packaging method which is self-contained and able to run despite 'some' of the dependencies I have run into. The reason why I call your attention again to the AppImages is, not only are they so easy to install, but there are growing numbers of applications which are being released now including one I recommend specifically to you - Shotcut, as being ideal for light-weight hardware such as the notebooks and netbooks. Shotcut could be called the baby brother of Kdenlive since they are built upon the same melt and ffmpeg foundations as Kdenlive. Shotcut is missing a few advanced things, most notably keyframes (promised by the end of the year) and of course the video scopes but does all the basics very well and has a delightful support community. I highly recommend you check them out.

Your growing experience and glowing reviews of Neon are compelling. In further checking I found that just loading Kdenlive and watching the System Monitor cpu graphs that normal cpu activity with a freshly booted system is less than 10 percent but jumps to about 60 percent no matter what configuration I use. Is this normal? When I load Shotcut the cpu activity stays less than 20 percent after it finishes loading.

@BG405
Ah-ha! You have fully explained the name. KDE Non LInear Video Editor. It seems to be a better acronym than many Linux apps!

On Cinnamon only the Breeze Theme is available. On some versions it was a light color and on others dark. Whim of the dev at the time, I guess. I started out on Linux with Cinnamon three years ago because it was the closest to M$ Windows 7. It has served me well but I'm going to have to upgrade sometime and it might as well be the "native" DE that Kdenlive likes.

Again, I will ask - do you get 60 percent cpu utilization after just loading Kdenlive? Is that normal - or should I be looking for some other problems?

Thanks - best,

-=Ken=-
KDE Neon 5.12 AMD Ryzen 3 1200 ASRock MB 16 GB RAM

Return to “Chat about Linux”