Ubuntu 17.10 Vs Mint

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Ubuntu 17.10 Vs Mint

Mint
75%
Ubuntu 17.10
4%
Unsure
8%
Don't care
13%

Total votes: 48

MintBean

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 Vs Mint

Post by MintBean »

Penn wrote:
MintBean wrote:Ubuntu is vastly superior, which is why I hang out on the Mint site.
What makes Ubuntu superior?

That is an honest question. Unless you just gotta have PPAs I don't see how it is superior.
I was joking. If the question is asked on a Mint forum, it should be pretty obvious what the majority answer will be.

You know Ubuntu PPAs are compatible with Mint, right?
Penn

Post by Penn »

MintBean wrote:
Penn wrote:
MintBean wrote:Ubuntu is vastly superior, which is why I hang out on the Mint site.
What makes Ubuntu superior?

That is an honest question. Unless you just gotta have PPAs I don't see how it is superior.
I was joking. If the question is asked on a Mint forum, it should be pretty obvious what the majority answer will be.

You know Ubuntu PPAs are compatible with Mint, right?
Should have been more clear since a person might read that with out looking at what I said just before your "vastly superior" statement. I was speaking from the point of view of a Debian/LMDE user who doesn't use Ubuntu/Mint standard so, no, I do not have PPAs. I see how they'd be helpful but that alone isn't a selling point to me.

So more to the point, why would Ubuntu or an Ubuntu base be better than <insert distro>. I do seriously want to hear that, not just from you but anybody willing to chime in.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

A few reasons for me:
1) PPAs, as mentioned. This will become less of an issue as Flatpak gains popularity.
2) Ubiquity. There's more help out there for Ubuntu. That may just be a perception, but it's the perception I currently hold.
3) Familiarity. Most of my experience is with Ubuntu. I've distro hopped a bit, but all things being equal I will stick with what I know.
4) Mint. Mint is my favourite distro so that narrows the choice to a Debian or Ubuntu base.
5) Ease of use. I borked my LMDE install trying to install Nvidia drivers. I could have persevered, but why should I when the main edition makes it easier?
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

MintBean wrote:A few reasons for me:
1) PPAs, as mentioned. This will become less of an issue as Flatpak gains popularity.
Whether we're talking Flatpaks or Snaps, isn't it correct that currently neither of them are as customizable as the equivalent ppa? By that I mean snaps don't accept the user's theme. There's a GTK theme in the snap and that's all the user can use: https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/use-the-sy ... heme/496/2

I don't know if Flatpaks are different.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

aes2011 wrote:
MintBean wrote:A few reasons for me:
Whether we're talking Flatpaks or Snaps, isn't it correct that currently neither of them are as customizable as the equivalent ppa? By that I mean snaps don't accept the user's theme. There's a GTK theme in the snap and that's all the user can use: https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/use-the-sy ... heme/496/2

I don't know if Flatpaks are different.
Snaps are irrelevant, and the issue generally no longer applies to flatpaks. See this link. Like everything else, flatpaks will evolve.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Snaps are irrelevant,
I'm fairly certain you can't back this statement up. I don't see how snaps are any less relevant than flatpaks. Currently, outside of the gnome applications, there are a lot more applications available as snaps than flatpaks. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. In the end it would really be nice to see just one take clearly win out.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JosephM wrote:
Snaps are irrelevant,
I'm fairly certain you can't back this statement up.
I'm 100% certain I can. They are irrelevant in relation to the discussion that was in progress about Mint and flatpaks.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

There's a lot of garbage in the snap repos at the moment-probably approaching 100 'hello world' applications.
As to which will win, it seems Snap has been set up to fail by being tied to Ubuntu servers (at least without considerable further development work.)
Royal-Mint

Post by Royal-Mint »

Gnome vs Cinnamon flagship DE distros, seriously??? :lol:
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Choice between the two, Mint all the way, though it'd quick enough be highly customized compared to out-of-box condition and uber tweaked to be lighter-faster, more stable. For one thing converted to fully use systemd and all things sysV removed. Bunch of other stuff changed to my preferences in gnu/Linux. Default applications to anything/everything else I like to use.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I started using Mint shortly after Mint 6 came out. Ubuntu forums were brutal at the time and Mint was much better.

L
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

lexon wrote:I started using Mint shortly after Mint 6 came out. Ubuntu forums were brutal at the time and Mint was much better.

L
That's the main reason I avoid Ubuntu. Fortunately kubuntu has its own forums that are far more civilized.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

In a sudden twist of events more people prefer to be "Unsure" than "Ubuntu"
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

JeremyB wrote:Lucap, there is any easy fix, try

Code: Select all

touch ~/Templates/Text\ File.txt
It worked perfectly . you're a Genius. :D

Don't know if there is a simple fix for some other oddities?

1) Mouse is slower than Mint even at full settings?
2) Can't find any option to un-group running applications?
3) Nautilus has a copy function on right click but no paste function after you have copied a file?
4) The occasional hang at shutdown with it stuck on Ubuntu dots for a few minutes before it finally powers off?
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I agree with Pjotr. The October releases of the different Ubuntu versions are test beds for the April releases. In this case, the April 2018 releases will have long term support and will contain some interesting Ubuntus.

Ubuntu Budgie will have a lot of new improvements and Lubuntu will be using LXQt. Might be worth giving them a try then if you like to play around with different distributions, like I do. Of course, I usually go with Mint as my main distro for stability and good looks.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

kenetics wrote:I agree with Pjotr. The October releases of the different Ubuntu versions are test beds for the April releases. In this case, the April 2018 releases will have long term support and will contain some interesting Ubuntus.

Ubuntu Budgie will have a lot of new improvements and Lubuntu will be using LXQt. Might be worth giving them a try then if you like to play around with different distributions, like I do. Of course, I usually go with Mint as my main distro for stability and good looks.
It is more than just the October releases as the April release in odd numbered years is also a short term release as Ubuntu 17.04 will be unsupported sometime in January. It does give the Ubuntu developers the opportunity to get used to newer packages upstream to them. Even Unity used a lot of Gnome applications
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I just noticed that in Gnome you have a copy to function on right click but you have to then click a select button on the menu of the folder to copy file over.

How messed up and crazy is that to remove a right click paste function and put it up on the window menu. :D
jeschur

Post by jeschur »

+1 on the forums mentioned earlier. Definitely impressed with how helpful Mint forums are. I'll have to admit though coming from a system admin background as with many others I've not had to be very active when it comes to requesting help. Having said this just from testing in virtualbox Ubuntu 17.10 while it looks sleek doesn't respond that well after a period of inactivity vs Mint 18.2 which is just as snappy when you come back to it after awhile (no lag vs ubuntu 17.10 which has a huge initial lag in response once it's been idle). Obviously I can't really speak from use on hardware directly with Ubuntu 17.10 at this point. However I did recently throw Mint 18.2 on a t510 HP thin client (souped up with 4GB ram and a 120GB SSD and it runs smooth as butter for web etc use (typing this post on that system right now in fact). I run it headless with xRDP/VNC and mate desktop. I've gotta say this much when it comes down to performance mate and xfce are definitely the gui choices I would go with - Cinnamon is nice but mate tends to be a bit quicker.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I've been making the mistake of trying LMDE on VirtualBox and it just doesn't do it any justice.

Trying it on real Hardware has been such a revelation that its now going to be my daily driver. :D
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I use openSuse Tumbleweed, but that's just me.

Return to “Chat about Linux”