Another Distro with a Linux Mint base

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisuk

Another Distro with a Linux Mint base

Post by chrisuk »

BeeFree OS

Review

I've not tested it out (and doubt that I will), so I can't comment on it, but... if it's like other LM spinoffs, nobody here will be jumping ship any time soon ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Another Distro with a Linux Mint base

Post by Hoser Rob »

It doesn't even have the poor support typical of those sort of distros ... I cannot find ANY support on their site ... you'd have to be pretty ignorant to install it.

Imagine how much better Linux would be without all those silly useless distros.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Sounds like a pretty lazy job... if they couldn't even be bothered to remove all the references to Mint. :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Read the review, won't even bother to try in VirtualBox.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
CaseyMarie

Post by CaseyMarie »

A question I've been wondering, is forking Mint a net loss for the project because it's developers who could be working on Mint instead but are now working on something else or are these developers who wouldn't want to work for Mint for whatever reason? I ask because I'm aware that Mint is a fork of a fork of a fork and it seems that it hasn't harmed it at all! I'm guessing it's because of the nature of open source we're all constantly giving back to the Gnu/Linux project as a whole. There must be instances of duplication of effort though maintaining all these hundreds and hundreds of distros, but I guess it's growing all the time so new developers make up for it. I guess after a while you just get used to the seemingly infinite choice and forking but I do wonder how many people are doing exactly the same thing right now
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ CaseyMarie, .......
CaseyMarie wrote: I ask because I'm aware that Mint is a fork of a fork of a fork and it seems that it hasn't harmed it at all! .
LM is a fork of Ubuntu and Ubuntu is a fork of Debian.

Debian is a Unix-like computer operating system that is composed entirely of free software, most of which is under the GNU General Public License and packaged by a group of individuals participating in the Debian Project. The Debian Project was first announced in 1993 by Ian Murdock, Debian 0.01 was released on September 15, 1993, and the first stable release was made in 1996.(from Wikipedia)

Debian was first developed by pure tech-geeks for other tech-geeks = not at all user-friendly, esp for computer dummies and newbies/noobs, eg lots of Terminal command-line tools required = like a terminal disease for dummies. So, in 2004 along came UK's Canonical Inc to modify the Debian distro into a slightly more user-friendly Linux distro = Ubuntu. And in 2006, along came Clément Lefèbvre to modify Ubuntu into an even more user-friendly and Windows XP-like OS, especially for computer dummies, newbies and ex-Windows users.

Similarly, Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google, based on the Linux kernel and designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. Android's user interface is mainly based on direct manipulation, using touch gestures that loosely correspond to real-world actions, such as swiping, tapping and pinching, to manipulate on-screen objects, along with a virtual keyboard for text input. (from Wikipedia)
... Android was also developed for user-friendliness, esp for computer dummies and newbies.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

CaseyMarie wrote:A question I've been wondering, is forking Mint a net loss for the project because it's developers who could be working on Mint instead but are now working on something else or are these developers who wouldn't want to work for Mint for whatever reason?
I think it's most likely the latter. They could have offered to work on Mint, but apparently preferred to spend their time and energy elsewhere; they probably felt that Mint was best used as a base for a different project. I do not think that Mint suffers from that in any way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”