New Slax will be released next week as a Debian Base.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

New Slax will be released next week as a Debian Base.

Post by Lucap »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lysander666

Re: New Slax will be released next week as a Debian Base.

Post by Lysander666 »

Debian or Slackware, both are excellent OSs. This is a good thing, especially when it comes to use of apt.

Two things though: some users will be up in arms about the migration to systemd, and it's a bit awkward to have a distro called Slax based on something other than Slackware. If most users are hobbyists, they'll just grit their teeth through the systemd migration.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Lots of complaints about the Developer vanishing and not supporting his projects.
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

Lucap wrote:Lots of complaints about the Developer vanishing and not supporting his projects.
This is one of my concerns about Solus.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

LOL yeah , i was impressed with Solus until i found out how restricted it was with just a couple of people running it like a dictatorship and you basically have to fill out a begging letter to add any files with ridiculous questions like how many Solus members will use it. :D

Slax has posted some more info in his Blog about SystemD shutdown and some desktop screenshots that looks like it does have a normal menu taskbar.

slax.org/en/blog.php
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Lucap wrote:Lots of complaints about the Developer vanishing and not supporting his projects.
Very common story in Linux.

When you're ttalking about a distro where it's developer, singular, not developers, well, IMO you'd have to be pretty ignorant to install it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Years ago I would install just about any kind of Linux. But after seeing developers abandon projects, and too little support for some projects, I stick to the bigger distros for the most part now. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, the only exception is MX Linux, but those guys have been around forever beginning with MEPIS.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Lysander666 wrote:This is one of my concerns about Solus.
The developer of Solus (who, incidentally, initially developed LMDE) is now working full time on it, so that should give some confidence that he's in it for the long run at least.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Another 6 hours and we get to try something that looks like it was from 1990's.

I already know i'm going to dislike the cartoon style desktop with all those colours.

/me pokes xenopeek with a pointy stick ---------------> I'm guessing Midnight Commander is something you would like. :P
bookman761

Re: New Slax 9.2.1

Post by bookman761 »

Hello,
I am new to Slax and and linux in general and find it intrigueing about having a persistent OS on a USB stick.
I have a older samsung laptop and booted up the new Slax 9.2.1. I was able to get a hard wired ethernet to connect on internet, but how do I get the packages for wifi and sound to get them working.
What are the apt-get commands for getting wifi and sound working?
I have Broadcom 43 wifi chip and AMD/ATI sound chip. Thank you.
Frank
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

https://www.slax.org/en/blog/24273-Prop ... l#comments

@ bookman761 »

Lots of people have wifi problems if you check the above link to the latest slax blog post.

I don't like the new Slax as it's now just a Web browsing Kiosk with crap nouveau drivers.

Return to “Chat about Linux”