I want to so bad switch to Linux but I feel like I can't right now. I hope I'm wrong.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jim Hauser

Re: I want to so bad switch to Linux but I feel like I can't right now. I hope I'm wrong.

Post by Jim Hauser »

I used to be a big XP user. When I switched to Mint I first used dual booting to have both. I now use Virtual Box to run XP. Except for a few old games, some fractal programs and some antiquated office programs I rarely even use XP.

I only have one program that uses Wine, Mandelbulb 3D (actually three different versions.)

I only have one program that uses Java, J-Wildfire (fractal program.)

I do not think Java is used anywhere else on this system.

I do not miss virus or malware trouble and paying big bucks for the right to use Windows bloatware with all of the accompanying software required.

The money saved by dumping Microsoft enabled the purchase of my bucket list computer (Water cooled 8-core (4 gigahertz per core,) 16 gigabytes RAM, dual monitors, 6 terabytes HDD storage on four drives and the list goes on...)
This system runs 24/7 and never overheats or crashes.

I did not have to go school for any of this. This forum makes a great library of information and has given me many new friends.

At this point in time, my future is Linux Mint. I hope you can say the same thing one day!

Best of luck!

P.S. While writing this note my computer is 12 hours into a 3 day fractal render and my small torrent farm is seeding 61 Mint ISO files on demand.
jc0481
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I want to so bad switch to Linux but I feel like I can't right now. I hope I'm wrong.

Post by jc0481 »

ArtGirl wrote:
xenopeek wrote:OP hasn't been back here in 2 months (since making the topic). Just a heads up.
Good point. :lol: Maybe someone posted/deleted recently, to bring it up in to the front page? Will notice dates better!
LOL. I'm back! I have some important life issues happen recently and a bunch of people at work quit so working extra long hours at work while they hire new people. I'm still researching to see if I could switch to Linux.
jc0481
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jc0481 »

Jim Hauser wrote:I used to be a big XP user. When I switched to Mint I first used dual booting to have both. I now use Virtual Box to run XP. Except for a few old games, some fractal programs and some antiquated office programs I rarely even use XP.

I only have one program that uses Wine, Mandelbulb 3D (actually three different versions.)

I only have one program that uses Java, J-Wildfire (fractal program.)

I do not think Java is used anywhere else on this system.

I do not miss virus or malware trouble and paying big bucks for the right to use Windows bloatware with all of the accompanying software required.

The money saved by dumping Microsoft enabled the purchase of my bucket list computer (Water cooled 8-core (4 gigahertz per core,) 16 gigabytes RAM, dual monitors, 6 terabytes HDD storage on four drives and the list goes on...)
This system runs 24/7 and never overheats or crashes.

I did not have to go school for any of this. This forum makes a great library of information and has given me many new friends.

At this point in time, my future is Linux Mint. I hope you can say the same thing one day!

Best of luck!

P.S. While writing this note my computer is 12 hours into a 3 day fractal render and my small torrent farm is seeding 61 Mint ISO files on demand.
Hi Jim. Thanks for your feedback. Have you ever tried Windows 7 in Virtualbox? I think my only option is to run my programs in Virtualbox. I worry about the performance. I'll be running on an HP Pavilion laptop. i3 CPU with 8 gigs of DDR4 RAM (soon to be 16 gigs) and a 850 EVO 500 GB solid state drive. I have a backlit keyboard and not sure if it's supported in Linux Mint. I will have to try it out. One day I will get my bucket list computer just like you did. That computer sounds awesome by the way.

I hope I can say that one day too.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jc0481 wrote: Hi Jim. Thanks for your feedback. Have you ever tried Windows 7 in Virtualbox? I think my only option is to run my programs in Virtualbox. I worry about the performance. I'll be running on an HP Pavilion laptop. i3 CPU with 8 gigs of DDR4 RAM (soon to be 16 gigs) and a 850 EVO 500 GB solid state drive.
That should run Windwoes 7 quite well as long as you turn off all the Windwoes eye-candy.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I do not have and probably will not have any Windows past an original XP. As Catweazel said, Win 7 should work fine in Virtualbox with a few precautions. I am using a backlit keyboard (Corsair K55) with Mint KDE 18.3. It recognizes the keyboard as a generic 101 key. I can not control the back-lighting via Mint yet but the back-lighting still works and can be changed via keyboard commands (I am already looking for answers in another thread.)

If you can get Win 7 to work for you in Virtualbox it will still be there if you need it.

Best of luck to you!

Years ago a single core Athlon 64 @ 2.2 gigahertz was on my bucket list! But I didn't know I was going to live this long... :-)

Return to “Chat about Linux”