Annoyed with FF yet?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Annoyed with FF yet?

Post by BG405 »

otacon14112 wrote:Pale Moon and Basilisk are derived from FF, and they use the same plug-ins FF did.
This is important for me and Pale Moon looks to be the best option, but I need to find & fix whatever is causing stability issues in PM. Sometimes it loads and runs fine, others it loads but terminates as soon as you click on a UI element.

Also:
the Basilisk team wrote:Basilisk is development software. This means that it should be considered more or less "beta" at all times; it may have some bugs and is provided as-is, with potential defects. Like any other Free Software community project, it comes without any warranty or promise of fitness for any particular purpose. That being said: of course we will do our best to provide an as stable and secure browser as possible with every official release of Basilisk.
This may make it unsuitable for my needs unfortunately.

There's another option I'm looking in to, Waterfox but I need to change my netbook over to a 64-bit OS first.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

I was a little annoyed with Firefox 57 at first heck I was trying to install Firefox ESR, but after upgrading its starting to grow on me. :)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Only version 57 and later will be patched against Spectre according to mozilla.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Spearmint2 wrote:Only version 57 and later will be patched against Spectre according to mozilla.
That's significant! current ESR and clone/derivative users won't benefit.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

aes2011 wrote:current ESR and clone/derivative users won't benefit.
Well, of course Mozilla will not be updating forks. They don't make those browsers after all. But I would not assume that they won't be updated by the people who make them and are expected to keep them updated.
Waterfox for example gets a lot of security patches from Firefox 57: https://www.waterfoxproject.org/blog/wa ... e-download
So since Firefox 57 will get patched, I expect the same for Waterfox.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

At the moment I am using Firefox Nightly (59.0.a1) and I find it rather stable and it works quite fine.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

aes2011 wrote:That's significant! current ESR and clone/derivative users won't benefit.
This sounds, as if FF ESR would be more vulnerable than FF 57 after the latest patch, but this is not true.
Technically in FF 57.0.4 the SharedArrayBuffer has been deactivated. Actually SharedArrayBuffer is in ESR not supported, so that the current patch for FF 57 is not applicable.

Note also, that the hole problem is still under investigation at Mozilla. This means, that the current patch is only a quick ad-hoc solution, more things will come. Another change, which is included in the patch, reducing the resolution of performance.now, will be included in ESR 52.6, coming this month.

Regarding Waterfox & Co: I cannot say, if SharedArrayBuffer is implemented there at all. As long as you do not investigate into this question, you cannot say, that they do not benefit from a patch. Assumed it is like in ESR not implemented, how should something get patched, what does technically not exist?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Marziano wrote:At the moment I am using Firefox Nightly (59.0.a1) and I find it rather stable and it works quite fine.
If your version is dated at 2018-01-04 or later, than the said patched is implemented there also; otherwise you should update.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Cosmo. wrote:
Marziano wrote:At the moment I am using Firefox Nightly (59.0.a1) and I find it rather stable and it works quite fine.
If your version is dated at 2018-01-04 or later, than the said patched is implemented there also; otherwise you should update.
Yes, it has the patches implemented.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Firefox to show ‘occasional sponsored story’ in ads test.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/29 ... _ads_test/

Privacy preserved, promise, because Mozilla wants to re-invent web ads.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Occasional sponsored story? Not targeted? No collection usage data? Great!
I forgot... is Pocket source code already opened?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lucap wrote:Firefox to show ‘occasional sponsored story’ in ads test.
Well, that's going to fly like a lead balloon...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

BigEasy wrote:Occasional sponsored story? Not targeted? No collection usage data? Great!
I forgot... is Pocket source code already opened?
I was wondering if disabling pocket would stop it.
Moem wrote:Well, that's going to fly like a lead balloon...
They certainly seem to be on a mission to **** people off lately.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

If I read the story correctly this only effects Pocket, not Firefox itself. Pocket can be disabled and even if it is not disabled, if you don't use it you won't see sponsored content.
I am fine with an occasional, non-intrusive ad, generally speaking. The issue has always been about creepy tracking and spying for me.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”