App/tool download scripts/lists for Neon!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

App/tool download scripts/lists for Neon!

Post by Jedinovice »

OK,this is a sorta 'Quick and dirty' attempt to make Neon usable that bit faster with useful software download listings.

Note that I have had to compress all files for the forum to accept them. Dunno why, it just is!

Because Neon is a totally bare bones install on a par with Windows on total absence of anything useful (though Neon is at least free of compulsory trialware and general malware) it can be a pain installing several hundred libraries to do anything... ever. There are no compilers in the distros, no build tools (not even GCC!) or apps! This was not a major problem for me since I installed Synaptic, selected a load of stuff and got everything I wanted pretty fast. But I hit real trouble with the HP Universal Printer driver. So I have supplied what I hope will be a faintly useful list file for fast installation of essentials and useful apps to ease peoples move to Neon.

So, I have attached said download list files plus a KDE hotkeys file to be imported all as I promised in the 'KDE replacement' thread. I just opened a new topic so this help did not get buried in the mass of posts and it's a bit off topic anyway since it is help for a distro and need feedback.
Long post but lotsa meaty goodness!

BUT!!! MAJOR DISCLAIMERS APPLY!

Also note that I am NOT advocating Neon here. I am not saying it is THE "go to" KDE distro. Horses for courses! I am also very interested in feedback in regards to other distros.
I'm just trying to help those who want to go in/try out the Neon direction.

ALL THIS IS USE AT YOUR OWN RISK – though the risk is likely to be minimal.

Note the following therefore carefully before grabbing(uncompressing) and using:

Because I am at the point of near collapse – my doctor is begging me to take leave which is why I am escaping to a hotel tonight for two days sleep – I am not taking time out to refine any of this!
[You will not believe the interruptions and grief I had this morning as I tried to type this! It just does not stop!!]

WHAT YOU GET:

All I am supplying are the following:

The download scripts for Aptik and Synaptic (you choose, though I think Aptik is likely to be safer) from the packages I have installed and updated on my office laptop. It's the most minimal of my laptop set ups and has no firmware installs (unlike my other machines.) But the listing will contain some personal oddities such as Kdenlive (naturally) and Mcomix. But you can unselect anything you do not like or uninstall after.

The scripts will load in a heap of libraries and compilers, Libreoffice, GIMP, partition managers and most useful stuff.
But these are all my choices! It's just a starter and I have not edited any listing for general consumers at all! No time!

I plan to delve deeper into Neon and give further feedback and more refined files. This is just a 'quickie help' before I go and crash!

Note that the scripts include all the libraries to successfully install the universal HP printer/scanner driver. That took a bit of work to get the required libraries so these scripts and files WILL help a LOT with HP printers. And if you are not using an HP printer with Linux then, and I speak from personal and expensive experience, you are cruising for a bruising.
Er, note however, that even though I was able to get the printer/scanner drivers to work perfectly, the utilities do not appear in the GUI and have to be run by typing in the command from the terminal. But that's once in a green moon issue anyway. Something for me to sort out when I have less madness in my life.

I take no flack for any errors that might come from running these scripts (though Synaptic and Aptik SHOULD take care of any conflicts) not comments about my strange choice of software packages – such as the analog synth emulator I have in the list that I never get time to play with.

I also attach a KDE 'hotkeys' file which can be imported which gives a small number of REALLY useful keyboard shortcuts which I find generally speeds work up! If you use KDE and not using user defined keyboard shortcuts then you are seriously missing out on the raw power of the OS that leaves Mac and Windows fanboys standing in the dust! Hehehehehehehe...

BUT!! Where there is a conflict with a KDE system shortcut the trigger is not put in place. So you will need to check any apps or actions in the imported 'Master' list to add your own. I do not use a lot of the super clever "Show desktop" or "tile apps" stuff and so I often override KDE system shortcuts. So that's a warning to yer that a number of actions in the listing will have no keyboard trigger.

Everything here is a start and you must alter to taste. And it's a rush job, just grabbing from a laptop already running software that is essential to me and my business! Period!

There should not be any problems and, if you are going to be using these files, odds are you have a fresh install, so if it does go wrong you can just re-install anyway. I would not use these scripts on a long standing Neon set up.

So… again...

Use as your own risk!
I also STRONGLY recommend you run the script file for Aptik from Aptik. I have not tested with synaptic at all!

Info on Aptik is here:

http://www.teejeetech.in/2014/01/introducing-aptik.html

and the PPA & Install is:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptik

Using Aptik is child's play. Clue: Open the backup folder where the list file is and then just 'restore installed software.' Er, and wait a bit with a decent internet connection.

Obviously, if anyone wants to refine, make these files more generic or whatever, I'm fine with that.

Also, a couple of notes on Neon:

I have found it very stable and it has delivered under a LOT of strain with end of semester exams.
I have just had my first result back from one of my students and it is an 'A'! So Neon has really has delivered!

Irritants are (so far:)

1) 'Discovery' is an absolute steaming pile of nitrogen rich fertiliser which can just barely install updates before crashing. Yeah, it crashes after installing updates but the updated process is completed. Using synaptic is a MUST! Or Muon but I went with what I knew and Muon seems tied to Discovery so I dunno how Muon will play with Neon yet.
2) I do get some strange flickering on menus. Seems to be with GTK apps but I can't be certain. Annoying but when I move the mouse over the menu items they appear clearly so it's far from terminal. Maybe a simple fix somewhere. Haven't had chance to go looking. I am still in "If it holds together don't try and fix it!" mode. When I have had more sleep and hired more staff…
3) Neon is so minimal it does not even include any desktop wallpapers! So you have to download your own. But that's hardly difficult.

That's it. Producing this has been a nightmare in between the never ending chaos so I am not even adding anime pics! Now got to get to a hotel and get away from crazies!!!
packages-installed.list.tar.gz
packages.list.tar.gz
master.khotkeys.tar.gz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Re: App/tool download scripts/lists for Neon!

Post by Jedinovice »

And this is the compressed synaptic generated shell script which can be loaded into synaptic itself or run as a script.

But I reckon Aptik is the better way...
synapticNEONsh.bash.tar.gz
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I noticed neon doesn't do tab autocompletion in terminal. Did you fix that?
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

mr_raider wrote:I noticed neon doesn't do tab autocompletion in terminal. Did you fix that?
I like said, I used Neon just because it worked and worked at the time i needed it. I have had ZERO tie to delve into Neon. That's why Mintstick does not work on my laptop yet. I use use the terminal very little.

I am typing from the hotel I have escaped to having just woken up. Others will have to find out fixes for now.

Having said all of that, I have no problem with Konsole which behaves the same as in Mint.
So I guess it is something to with your Konsole set up. I have my profile set to start '/bin/bash.'

I suggest you take a look at "current profile" and see where it might differ from Mint.

But the plan is to sleep as much as possible and then see a consultant about how i can hire the right staff to take on some of the never ending work...
till the right kind of problem to have on a new business start up.

But, for now, Neon just works for me and that is enough. Delving deeper into the OS is low on the priority stack now.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

mr_raider wrote:I noticed neon doesn't do tab autocompletion in terminal. Did you fix that?
This is now ancient history but I did confirm that it is to do with the profile being set to nothing and is fixed by simply inputting '/bin/bash' in the 'command' setting.

Just in case anyone else gets worried.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Thanks for posting that, I use tab auto-completion a lot and would be much more time-consuming without it!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux”