Static IP on Android Devices

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lisabonne citadel

Static IP on Android Devices

Post by lisabonne citadel »

YOU NEED ROOT ACCESS
1 - install terminal emulator for android

2 - in terminal type su

3- disable ipv6, writing the following (this may be different on your device- you can see with your root file manager)
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6

4 - disable root on ssh with your root file manager
on /etc/ssh/ssh_config add this entry
PermitRootLogin no

5 - check your MAC address in terminal
su
ip link show wlan0
copy with some pencil

6 - enable static ip with your root file manager
on /system/etc/dhcpcd and add this entry on dhcpcd.conf - replace xx with your mac

config host
option ip '(some ip just like 192.168.1.6)'
option mac 'XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff'
option name 'myandroid'
save it and disable your wifi and enable it again
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Static IP on Android Devices

Post by catweazel »

Alternatively, set a fixed IP on the router for the device MAC.

I think your post is irresponsible. People can brick their devices doing what you propose.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lisabonne citadel

Now i have linux mint with root access typing this and I think its SECURE. :lol:

Setting your router, could be... but if is android its almost IMPOSSIBLE doing that in another place than your home and work :cry:

This measure is to surfing anonymous without worrying about ip interceptions just like DHCP connections. :wink:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote:Alternatively, set a fixed IP on the router for the device MAC.

I think your post is irresponsible. People can brick their devices doing what you propose.
Agree 100%. There's a lot of tings like that here.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
lisabonne citadel

Hoser Rob wrote:
catweazel wrote:Alternatively, set a fixed IP on the router for the device MAC.

Agree 100%. There's a lot of tings like that here.
Can you really specify what is WRONG?

because everyone can learn how to disable ipv6 for hiding all hardware information...
because is revertable changing 1 by zero

because disabling ssh root access no one can entered remotely... yes that is correct... no one since android doesnt have RPC. you can either revert deleting the adding entry.

Let me see, what is really WRONG?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Every time you restart an Android phone, it changes its reported MAC ID. I'm not sure exactly when they implemented this behavior, but I remember it being there on my Nexus 4.

I used to have a static IP address set up for my phone, along with everything else in my home, but that completely went out the window because I no longer had a static MAC addy for the thing.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "lisabonne citadel",

FYI: You do not need to install a "terminal emulator" to do this.
Static IP Address on Android
https://it.uoregon.edu/node/3559

Go to settings, tap and hold on the network you wish to adjust, click modify network.

Mark the show advanced options check box.
Under IP Settings, change it from DCHP to Static.
When using static IP addresses on home and other private networks, they should be chosen from within the standard private IP address ranges listed:

10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255
Now enter the IP address. This step is specific to each network. Ex: 192.168.1.128
Then enter the gateway, which is the base ip address of your network. (based on previous example): 192.168.1.1

Tap save and let the network reconnect.
Generic search results on "Static IP on Android Devices"
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lisabonne citadel

Portreve wrote:Every time you restart an Android phone, it changes its reported MAC ID. I'm not sure exactly when they implemented this behavior, but I remember it being there on my Nexus 4.

I used to have a static IP address set up for my phone, along with everything else in my home, but that completely went out the window because I no longer had a static MAC addy for the thing.
I tested with some device this and works as great.
lisabonne citadel

phd21 wrote:Hi "lisabonne citadel",

FYI: You do not need to install a "terminal emulator" to do this.
Static IP Address on Android
https://it.uoregon.edu/node/3559

Go to settings, tap and hold on the network you wish to adjust, click modify network.

Mark the show advanced options check box.
Under IP Settings, change it from DCHP to Static.
When using static IP addresses on home and other private networks, they should be chosen from within the standard private IP address ranges listed:

10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255
Now enter the IP address. This step is specific to each network. Ex: 192.168.1.128
Then enter the gateway, which is the base ip address of your network. (based on previous example): 192.168.1.1

Tap save and let the network reconnect.
Generic search results on "Static IP on Android Devices"
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Hope this helps ...

Thank you for your help... I tested first the way you presented but is not working.

The reason why i post this is because now-a-days is extremely hard to have good information to apply static ip or disable DHCP. I dont need to say is completely ILLEGAL THE EXTRACTION of private data such hardware id, IMEI or Private media and documents. AND NOW we all living into this. Local authorities may have some guilty because dont even cares. I referring europe legislation upon USA interests of control all Bandwith DATA.

Return to “Chat about Linux”