I love the philosophy of Mint...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chronigan

I love the philosophy of Mint...

Post by Chronigan »

The way they are trying to put together a stable, integrated and complete OS. The only thing is I really need to use more up to date packages than those that are available for Mint. Does anyone have a suggestion for another distro of linux that has the same philosophy but that is more up to date in repositories and package compatibility?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I love the philosophy of Mint...

Post by BigEasy »

It is incompatible things - modern packages and LTS. LTS contains packages of stable major versions. Stable at the moment of LTS release.
Then updated only minor versions + security fixes. Exceptions is internet browsers - they updated always. No other Linux LTS have different philosophy.

Another philosophy is called "rolling release". In that case the update is constantly. Every day. No release numbers, no release aliases, release has no end of life... Every day you have the most modern system under the same name. For example, such system is PCLinuxOS. Using rolling relese be ready for the situation when yesterday everything was worked, but today everything does not work.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Chronigan wrote:The only thing is I really need to use more up to date packages than those that are available for Mint.
For some packages there are PPAs. I usually just Google search for '<package_name> ppa.' Mint 18.3 will also handle flatpaks.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, honestly, I've really come to like Solus a lot. Budgie is noticeably less resource-hogging than Cinnamon.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I use a rolling release as my daily driver, openSUSE Tumbleweed. It has treated me very well with zero downtime.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Mint 18.3 has Flatpak.....
https://flatpak.org/#features
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Chronigan wrote:The way they are trying to put together a stable, integrated and complete OS. The only thing is I really need to use more up to date packages than those that are available for Mint. Does anyone have a suggestion for another distro of linux that has the same philosophy but that is more up to date in repositories and package compatibility?

Did you get a chance to try out some of the suggestions? Like I said, try a rolling release, you just might like it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”