I love the philosophy of Mint...

Chat about Linux in general
Chronigan
Level 1
Level 1

I love the philosophy of Mint...

Postby Chronigan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 pm

The way they are trying to put together a stable, integrated and complete OS. The only thing is I really need to use more up to date packages than those that are available for Mint. Does anyone have a suggestion for another distro of linux that has the same philosophy but that is more up to date in repositories and package compatibility?

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I love the philosophy of Mint...

Postby BigEasy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:32 am

It is incompatible things - modern packages and LTS. LTS contains packages of stable major versions. Stable at the moment of LTS release.
Then updated only minor versions + security fixes. Exceptions is internet browsers - they updated always. No other Linux LTS have different philosophy.

Another philosophy is called "rolling release". In that case the update is constantly. Every day. No release numbers, no release aliases, release has no end of life... Every day you have the most modern system under the same name. For example, such system is PCLinuxOS. Using rolling relese be ready for the situation when yesterday everything was worked, but today everything does not work.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Postby jimallyn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:07 am

Chronigan wrote:The only thing is I really need to use more up to date packages than those that are available for Mint.

For some packages there are PPAs. I usually just Google search for '<package_name> ppa.' Mint 18.3 will also handle flatpaks.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Well, honestly, I've really come to like Solus a lot. Budgie is noticeably less resource-hogging than Cinnamon.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Rocky Bennett
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Rocky Bennett » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:45 pm

I use a rolling release as my daily driver, openSUSE Tumbleweed. It has treated me very well with zero downtime.

Pjotr
Level 19
Level 19

Postby Pjotr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Mint 18.3 has Flatpak.....
https://flatpak.org/#features
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Rocky Bennett
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Rocky Bennett » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:58 am

Chronigan wrote:The way they are trying to put together a stable, integrated and complete OS. The only thing is I really need to use more up to date packages than those that are available for Mint. Does anyone have a suggestion for another distro of linux that has the same philosophy but that is more up to date in repositories and package compatibility?

Did you get a chance to try out some of the suggestions? Like I said, try a rolling release, you just might like it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”