Brave Browser ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Brave Browser ?

Post by Lucap »

I'm seeing it mentioned a lot recently since some people have taken a dislike to Firefox Quantum , apparently an ex mozillia developer is running the project.

Has anyone tried it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Brave Browser ?

Post by jimallyn »

I installed it on my computer and have played with it a couple of times, but not enough to have any strong opinions one way or another.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Just reading up on it and it's Chromium based which is surprising , i'm guessing he didn't want the issues of forking Mozilla.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I use it on mobile, and like it just fine there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Just tried the windows version and it seems very fast with a nice Font but all the slide toggles for preferences are somewhat annoying and the tabs below the menu bar feel odd.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lucap wrote:the tabs below the menu bar feel odd.
For some of us, that is where tabs belong, everything else feels odd. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

It's OK. "Brave" is a terrible name, not unique at all (not "findable").

One thing I missed was a sidebar (for bookmarks, at least), so I checked:

"The issue seems to have been fixed for 0.20. Would you please wait until 0.20 will be released and confirm that the issue was fixed? Thanks!" (From "community.brave.com", which apparently isn't linked-to on their main website)

Unfortunately they DO NOT label the version of the "brave" software you download, either by link or by filename, and you can't tell the version until you install it. This lack of basic information and disregard for users was rather off-putting.

It also installs to the wrong place (it was /lib/brave or /usr/lib/brave); I moved it to /opt/brave.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

I've used Brave in Linux and Android. Nothing really wrong with it in Linux - basically another Chromium based browser, which IMO is not a bad thing - the blink engine works.

Of all the browsers I use (I test changes to my websites on many browsers in Linux and Windows to make sure it works as expected), Vivaldi is the one I use myself on Linux and Windows, and Brave is the one I like best on Android. However, on Android, it opens a YouTube vid with the YouTube app, which means you can't get rid of the *&$#*@# ads. At least Firefox in Android opens YouTube vids internally with the ad blocker doing its job.

I can't figure out why people don't like the new Firefox in Linux though - It seems really fast and flawless so far for me.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

felemur wrote:I can't figure out why people don't like the new Firefox in Linux though - It seems really fast and flawless so far for me.
No legacy addons is the main problem. Lots of easy customization within the browser is no longer possible. As an example. I used to remove Pocket in Firefox and sent it to the Customize window. Now Pocket is baked into the Navigation/Address bar where you can't get rid of it.

To me, linux FF 57 Quantum looks like a wannabe Microsoft Edge browser just like FF 29 (Australis) looked like a wannabe Google Chrome browser. And I hate the look and feel of Microsoft's Edge browser. In all of my linux hard drives, Firefox 57 Quantum has been removed, updates from the Update Manager for Firefox are now ignored and Firefox 52.5 ESR has taken it's place where my legacy addons still work and will work until June (or there abouts) of 2018.

Bottom line. Speed for me wasn't the deciding factor. The final choice came down to legacy addons, easy customization within the browser versus speed, the legacy addons and easy customization within the browser were the deciding factors and this is why I kicked Firefox 57 to the curb.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

OK, that makes sense to me now.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Night Wing wrote:Now Pocket is baked into the Navigation/Address bar where you can't get rid of it.
Seek and you shall find:

Code: Select all

about:config
Seek "pocket" and find this:

extensions.pocket.enabled
Set it to...take a guess!...false.

No "pocket" in the address bar.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

Flemur wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Now Pocket is baked into the Navigation/Address bar where you can't get rid of it.
Seek and you shall find:

about:config
Seek "pocket" and find this:

extensions.pocket.enabled
Set it to...take a guess!...false.

No "pocket" in the address bar.
One item change and it is a small change for the removal of Pocket, is a starting point. But the starting point begins and ends right there at the starting point because there is nothing in "about:config" which will bring back the use of Legacy addons in Firefox 57 or change the look of Firefox 57. When FF 29 came out with the Australis UI, that was when I quit using regular Firefox.

In linux Mint:

1) Pale Moon (Default browser)
2) SeaMonkey (Backup browser)
3) Firefox 52 ESR versions until June of 2018 (Emergency browser in case some sites only want to support Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari)

BTW, both Pale Moon and SeaMonkey also have "about:config" so for those sites that don't want to support Pale Moon or SeaMonkey, with a user agent fix in "about:config", I can trick those sites into thinking I'm using the Firefox browser. And if the user agent fix doesn't work, then I'll quit going to those sites.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I used the Linux version for a couple of hours last night and i also don't have any strong feelings towards it other that it seems to be work in progress and has that Beta feeling about it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Night Wing wrote: I used to remove Pocket in Firefox and sent it to the Customize window. Now Pocket is baked into the Navigation/Address bar where you can't get rid of it.
You actually can. I rightclicked on it and told it to take a hike. Easy as can be.

Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

As much as it pains me to say it Google's Chrome seems to work very well under Linux , i'm surprised their optimisations of the code hasn't made it's way back too chromium but maybe that's to do with non free licenses and codecs?
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

Moem wrote:
Night Wing wrote: I used to remove Pocket in Firefox and sent it to the Customize window. Now Pocket is baked into the Navigation/Address bar where you can't get rid of it.
You actually can. I rightclicked on it and told it to take a hike. Easy as can be.
You're missing the big picture with Firefox 57. I don't like that I can no longer use Legacy addons in FF 57 and the other automatic deal breaker for me is I do not like the way Firefox 57 looks. In order to get the look I want in 57, I would have to do some special coding since the Customize window is pretty useless in 57 now. I'm not going to go with what Mozilla wants and likes concerning Quantum. I'm going to use what I like, want and need and that is not Firefox 57.

Below is a link and once on the page, scroll on down the comments and you'll see two attachments from me where I changed both the stock linux Firefox 57 and stock linux Pale Moon (at that time) 27.6.1 using only the Customize window and my comment where you can find these two attachments is number 15 on that page so keep scrolling past my first comment which is number 3 on that page. The first bluish colored attachment is Firefox 57 (Quantum) and the second caramel colored attachment is Pale Moon. You'll have to left click on each attachment to make them larger to be easily seen.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17342
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Night Wing wrote:You're missing the big picture with Firefox 57.
No, I'm not. There are many aspects to it, some that I like, some that I dislike. But for a moment, I focused on your statement that you can't remove Pocket from the address bar, which is untrue. I was not talking about the big picture, I was just zooming in for a second.

Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Night Wing wrote:I don't like that I can no longer use Legacy addons in FF 57 and the other automatic deal breaker for me is I do not like the way Firefox 57 looks. In order to get the look I want in 57, I would have to do some special coding since the Customize window is pretty useless in 57 now.
I don't understand why people think it's the end of addons when it just needs some time for the developers to re-write their codes for the new quantum API commands , the developer of downthemall got all upset over FF 57 months ago and threatened to boycott Firefox and said he would never develop again ( as they have apparently ruined everything ) yet he is now currently working on re-writing downthemall for FF 57.

I don't think people realise what a big security risk the old addons were and how thing will improve.

The customisation of windows is also being worked on such as moving tabs to the top of the screen but it missed the FF 57 release so thing are not as bad as people think , just give it time :wink:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/fire ... oming-soon
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Been using Firefox ever since I can remember.
You'd think the open source version of Chrome is as secure as people think it is, but I don't think it is.
Try visiting a busy sports site, for instance, http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2
on both browsers.
You'll see ads that are sometimes specific to you and your location if you visit often enough.
Now try typing the same url in Firefox's New Private Window.
Then do the same with Chromium's New Incognito Window.
Tell me the difference.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

rick gen,

Out of curiosity of this thread, and your suggestion, I tried going to your linked website. Here's what I saw:

Chromium Incognito: Web page loads, has some ads (one car ad is semi-local, as in 50 miles away based on IP I presume), clicking on a thread to read makes the page randomly unreadable--side banner car ads bleed over the text on both sides.

Firefox Private window: same results as Chromium.

Chrome Incognito: same as the others.

Now Chromium, without an Incognito window, I use AdBlocker Plus, TrafficLight, and WebRTC Network Limiter, and I can browse that site, all pages, they look normal and have zero ads appearing.

I also tried going to Yahoo on all three in private modes, and on Chromium without private mode, the only semi local thing on all of them was the weather for a city about 70 miles away.

Just throwing it out there, since you asked. :wink:
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Chat about Linux”