WPS For Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

WPS For Linux

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Just playing around with some tech. I am not a big mobile, online, service person. The cons outweight the pros for me. I'm from the days of build your own machine, diy, shareware, use old parts and use them up, keep it local, spend wisely, etc. I did, however, buy a tablet running android. :-) I looked hard at my linux options for notebooks, tablets and phones. Europe actually seems more people empowerment centric and linux friendly.

While looking at the app store, I came across an office suite that runs on android and linux. WPS for linux. It says, "Compatible with Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix and more". It is not opensource. Anyone have any experience with it?

libreoffice appears to only have a viewer at this time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: WPS For Linux

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have not tried WPS for Linux, but back in my WinXP days I tried Kingsoft Office, the original name for the office suite. It was not bad, but it was not good enough to get me to switch from OpenOffice (and later LibreOffice). Plus I was turned off by the subscription plan they had at the time.

One thing I did like about it was the tabbed interface, where each document opens in the same window.

Have you looked at SoftMaker FreeOffice? Versions are available for Linux, Android and Windows. http://www.freeoffice.com
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I recently installed WPS on my computer, just out of curiosity. I haven't played with it a lot, but when I installed it, it set itself as the default office suite, so every time I double click a file that it can open, it opens it. It looks OK, but as I said I haven't played with it much. Install it and see what you think.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I used WPS for about a year a couple years Ago my wife still uses it on her Android tablet and likes it ok.
i didn't see that it gave me much more than Libre Office so haven't used it much lately. Only advantage I found was It did open most any file format I needed.
but that wasn't enough to keep me using it on a regular basis.

I did notice it's become the default office software on a few Linux distros though I don't remember which ones.
It's a good office suite but is not open source.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

BenTrabetere wrote:...
Have you looked at SoftMaker FreeOffice? Versions are available for Linux, Android and Windows. http://www.freeoffice.com
I'll take a look. It's interesting that they don't explicitly say android in their system requirements (unless it's included in the PC-based Linux category), but under the Discover menu link it is listed as Android.
System requirements: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP or any PC-based Linux (32 or 64 bits)
There is a beta for libreoffice, but it doesn't look like it has been updated in awhile.

Return to “Chat about Linux”