Interest trend in desktops over year

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

Interest trend in desktops over year

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Interest trend in desktops over the year.

First place is mate, then gnome, xfce, cinnamon, then plasma kde. I limited it to the computers & electronics category.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... ,mate,xfce

Distros:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... t,opensuse
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Interest trend in desktops over year

Post by jimallyn »

What do you suppose that means, if anything? If a particular desktop environment gets googled a lot, does that mean that it's very popular? Or does it mean that all those people googling it are having problems with it and are trying to figure out how to fix it?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Also, mate and cinnamon may just happen to be more common words than kde, xfce, or gnome and hence searched for more frequently! I'm not sure that the search criterion specifies linux desktop flavors.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Out of curiosity, I've changed the search term by adding desktop...

It's still very inconclusive in my view in order to come up with any safe-bet conclusions...
Except maybe with the somewhat obvious exception of Gnome's 'peak' in early-mid April: v3.20 was just released in late March, plus Canonical's announcement in regards to abandoning Unity / going Gnome was made in early April...
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

For the most part, overhead desktops are not usually needing to deal with overhead, so MATE and Cinnamon would be the more popular. Just a logic thing! :shock:

Return to “Chat about Linux”