GNOME 3.28 Removes Option to Put Icons on the Desktop

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: GNOME 3.28 Removes Option to Put Icons on the Desktop

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote:Whilst I agree with your sentiments and would also be very happy to see a switch to Qt I think this is unlikely, considering that the Mint team are moving away from this platform as of Mint 19.x.
I don't disagree with you; indeed, I'm certain you're right.

The reference I was making was to Solus. Ikey has no love for either KDE nor Gnome, and he and his team have been using GTK as their building blocks for Budgie. However, the next major release of the Budgie Desktop is to be Qt-based, but not in any way KDE. My thought is that perhaps Clem could do the same basic kind of thing, and even maybe he and his team may be forced in the same direction, depending on how much effort they have to make just to keep things compatible.

I don't know, and will be the first to admit I could be completely talking out of my bum-hole.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

GNOME Is Removing the Ability to Launch Binary Apps from Nautilus

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/nau ... aries-apps
Last year Nautilus lost the ability to show desktop icons — now GNOME developers plan to drop another familiar feature. According to a code commit on Gitlab the famous file manager is set to lose the ability to run binaries and launch apps directly.

Or, to put it another way, you won’t be able to double-click on programs, scripts or apps to launch them using Nautilus.

This change could affect:

Binary .bin and .run files
App Images (.appimage)
Program shortcuts (.desktop)
Scripts (e.g., .sh)

It’s a bit of a head-scratcher; why is GNOME doing this?

There are easier ways to get apps

GNOME developer Carlos Soriano made the commit referenced above.In it he reasons that without a desktop on which to place app shortcuts, binaries and the like the need to launch apps using Nautilus is ‘not as useful’ as it once was. After all, the GNOME Shell desktop comes with a full-screen app launcher by default, and a slate of third-party app menu extensions are available.
Just gets worse.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Now, I understand that they're stripping it down for convinience's sake (because some distro devs can opt to put features back in anyway), but this is just getting silly.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Now over 500 user comments at the bottom the link. :)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:45 pm However, the next major release of the Budgie Desktop is to be Qt-based, but not in any way KDE. My thought is that perhaps Clem could do the same basic kind of thing, and even maybe he and his team may be forced in the same direction, depending on how much effort they have to make just to keep things compatible.
This might well become the case, although I don't know how much current Nautilus code is integrated into Nemo, if any:
Lucap wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:47 am GNOME Is Removing the Ability to Launch Binary Apps from Nautilus

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/nau ... aries-apps
.. so hopefully it won't add extra workload for the Mint team, or introduce compatibility problems. Will need to research this. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Gnome's become an absolute joke. How something with so little (and rapidly decreasing) functionality can remain the most CPU and memory greedy of the mainstream desktops amazes me.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

At this rate we'll just be left with a mouse arrow to move about.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Lucap wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:46 am At this rate we'll just be left with a mouse arrow to move about.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cg ... 2017-14604

See the description by Andrej Nemec. Surprisingly, they left archive decompression and the terminal in place. Surely, to fix this problem properly requires at least removal of the terminal :mrgreen:
GNOME Devs seem to have a weekly conference of what they can remove from Nautilus. Come Ubuntu 18.10, it'll just be a blank box... Then they'll remove that!
User: Casey https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/nau ... aries-apps
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I'm guessing Gnome 4.0 will just boot straight into a web browser. :P

*edit*
MintBean wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:15 pm Gnome's become an absolute joke. How something with so little (and rapidly decreasing) functionality can remain the most CPU and memory greedy of the mainstream desktops amazes me.
It's been playing quit nicely since he finally patched the 10 year old memory leak.

Return to “Chat about Linux”