GNOME 3.28 Removes Option to Put Icons on the Desktop

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/gnom ... moved-3-28
‘The desktop in GNOME is provided by Nautilus, the GNOME file manager. But the code is old and unmaintained’
‘GNOME’s recommended alternative for users who want desktop icons is to install and use Nemo, a Nautilus fork’
As we can't swear it's best if i don't post an opinion. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Re: GNOME 3.28 Removes Option to Put Icons on the Desktop

Post by aes2011 »

GNOME devs never fail to do what's expected of them :)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Seems, most Linux/Gnome developers do not develop for their users but for their own tech-ego.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

It was my gripe that the Gnome devs have been stripping down on features. You gotta hand it to them, though. My Mint Setup eerily looks like Gnome:
1. I stripped down Nemo's UI and it looks like Nautilus
2. I don't like Desktop Icons, so I turn it off

But here's the main difference: It was MY CHOICE to make it look and feel like Nautilus. Having options around actually give me a sense of control over my computer.

Gnome devs shoves their choice in your face and you have no say in the matter.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Lucap wrote:http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/gnom ... moved-3-28

As we can't swear it's best if i don't post an opinion. :D
[Closed] WONTFIX.

:D :lol:
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Anyways, unless one is using Arch or Fedora or some other rolling release, we are far away from 3.28 :)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The interesting thing about Gnome for me is that if you get Fedora you get the same Gnome 3 you usually get, but is you get Red Hat, you get Gnome Fallback. Or Flashback? I think they changed the name.

So RHEL, which also basically runs Fedora, doesn't think that the Gnome 3 you usually see is good enough for they PAYING customers.

The worst thing about it is, Gnome 3 has the best support of ANY Linux DE, which is why so many distros are switching to it.

Another thing I have to wonder ... Mint's recent success is based on hatred of Unity. That's not why I use Mint but I hate Unity too. WHat happens when there's no Unity to hate?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

It wasn't just a hatred of Unity but, more importantly, the love of the features of a traditional desktop (including icons!)
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

This is what 4K monitors created for.
P.S.
BTW and for this too (it is not preschool child drawing, it is result of work Mozilla's 10 designers and 7 engineers).
Untitled.jpg
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The Great Gnome Split occurred for two reasons:

1. The Gnome 3 direction was not what many (even maybe most at that time?) wanted;
2. Gnome Devs basically said "Our way or the highway, so FU", and the community said "LOL... GTFO, bye-bye!"

Honestly, I don't know at this point if it's a "bad blood" situation in the GNU+Linux community so much as most of us just don't like Gnome 3.x. Yes, it's true that the present iteration of Gnome 3 is far better than 3.0, but that said, it's trying to solve a problem that just doesn't exist for most of us in a way that causes the rest of us problems of one sort or another.

I know that the Ikey over at the Solus OS project is planning to migrate the Budgie Desktop from GTK to Qt. His basic reasoning is two-fold: as the Gnome Project keeps updating and fooling around with GTK, it keeps breaking stuff if you're merely GTK-based and not really truly just running Gnome Desktop, and secondly, there's other capabilities he wants to add, other refinements, etc., and so Qt seems better-suited. What I'd be curious to know is, would Clem and Co. ever consider switching Cinnamon, MATE, etc., to Qt? Would this be a benefit to more than just Budgie?

Right now, LM is one of the most widely-used distros. It's certainly one of the more respected ones. It makes me wonder if LM moving to Qt (hypothetically) would start any kind of further trend, ultimately resulting in most other DEs also switching to Qt, and thereby essentially leaving only the Gnome Project using GTK?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

thx-1138 wrote:
[Closed] WONTFIX.

:D :lol:
LOL , yeah

It's not a bug, it's a feature.[Closed] WONTFIX.

Pretty much sums up the devs bugs list.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Honestly I think Gnome has become a joke. Even many former proponents of Gnome are becoming disgruntled.

Since GTK essentially serves the whims of Gnome and dumps functionality no longer required by the latter it is in my opinion a poor choice for third party desktops to be built on in the long term. I wouldn't be surprised if GTK either has to be patched or forked at some stage, or Cinnamon moves to something like QT. Shame as it will create a lot of work.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MintBean wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if GTK either has to be patched or forked at some stage, or Cinnamon moves to something like QT. Shame as it will create a lot of work.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm wishing for in my up-thread post.

*sigh*
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Solaris 11.4 To Move From GNOME 2 Desktop To GNOME Shell

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... NOME-Shell

No sure if Solaris is still a big player but they seem happy to support Gnome along with Ubuntu and Fedora so i'm sure they still feel like they have a big enough audience to not care about annoying people or making life difficult?
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/ubun ... n-nautilus

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will use an older version of Nautilus so that users can put icons on the desktop.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:... or Cinnamon moves to something like QT. Shame as it will create a lot of work.
For some of us, that's a bonus. I'd be putting my hand up as a Mint dev.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I can't think of a good QT example but some things in the past have looked really rough but i dare say that's down to the developers and older revisions of QT as KDE plasma looks OK.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Lucap wrote:I can't think of a good QT example but some things in the past have looked really rough but i dare say that's down to the developers and older revisions of QT as KDE plasma looks OK.
More than likely sub-standard devs.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
shnplr

Post by shnplr »

Lucap wrote:http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/ubun ... n-nautilus

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will use an older version of Nautilus so that users can put icons on the desktop.

I really hope they complete the desktop extension in time to use the latest Gnome+Nautilus in 18.04 release. In the meantime I would gladly forsake desktop icons for desktop stability. Gnome "freezes" up quite often and I suspect Desktop/Nautilus is often to blame. This is a great decision to improve file manager performance and separate out "desktop icons folder" into an extension. Ubuntu 18.04 users are not going to happy when their desktop freezes up.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Portreve wrote:Right now, LM is one of the most widely-used distros. It's certainly one of the more respected ones. It makes me wonder if LM moving to Qt (hypothetically) would start any kind of further trend, ultimately resulting in most other DEs also switching to Qt, and thereby essentially leaving only the Gnome Project using GTK?
MintBean wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if GTK either has to be patched or forked at some stage, or Cinnamon moves to something like QT.
Whilst I agree with your sentiments and would also be very happy to see a switch to Qt I think this is unlikely, considering that the Mint team are moving away from this platform as of Mint 19.x.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux”