GNOME 3.28

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

GNOME 3.28

Post by stavpup »

GNOME 3.28 Removes Option to Put Icons on the Desktop

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/gnom ... moved-3-28
This feature will be added back when they implement a gnome shell extension.

This does not affect Mint as it uses Nemo and Cinnamon.

"In a detailed rationale arguing for the removal for the desktop feature GNOME developer Ernestas Kulik argues:“[The] desktop is blocking us and giving deep issues to further go forward with no direct benefit. Users have expectations for it to work decently and it’s not the case.”

“We provide this as a optional experience, but we didn’t really fix much in the last years since it’s not part of the default experience, giving users false expectations. Also, nobody really likes to hack on that code, so nobody shown up to fix the big issues behind,” Kulik adds."

If that is the case, that code that Nemo uses as well is old and has issues.

I see similar problems in XCFE when I delete a file from the Desktop, sometimes it takes a minute to delete the file and the desktop freezes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: GNOME 3.28

Post by xenopeek »

Nemo was forked from Nautilus 5½ years ago and has been actively developed since (almost 1.5 million lines of code have been removed and 0.5 million added). The desktop is managed by nemo-desktop process.

Your post doesn't affect anything or anybody on Linux Mint, now or in the next 2½ years. Upcoming Linux Mint 19 will use Gnome 3.26. Moving this to Chat about Linux instead because of that.

While some people manage a workflow with icons on the Gnome Shell desktop, I'd suggest Cinnamon is much better suited for that particular workflow.

Having used Gnome Shell since early 2014, I really don't get the use for icons on the desktop :)
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

xenopeek wrote:... Upcoming Linux Mint 19 will use Gnome 3.26. ...
But isn't Ubuntu 18.04 slated to use gtk 3.22? See http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/cu ... 4.manifest.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Gtk ≠ Gnome
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Your post doesn't affect anything or anybody on Linux Mint, now or in the next 2½ years. Upcoming Linux Mint 19 will use Gnome 3.26. Moving this to Chat about Linux instead because of that.
This really doesn't have any effect on Linux Mint but I'd imagine Ubuntu 18.04 will be using Gnome 3.28.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I thought I had read they would use Gnome 3.26. Full freeze ahead of 3.28 release is early March. That sounds a little late for inclusion in 18.04.
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stavpup »

xenopeek wrote:Nemo was forked from Nautilus 5½ years ago and has been actively developed since (almost 1.5 million lines of code have been removed and 0.5 million added). The desktop is managed by nemo-desktop process.

While some people manage a workflow with icons on the Gnome Shell desktop, I'd suggest Cinnamon is much better suited for that particular workflow.

Having used Gnome Shell since early 2014, I really don't get the use for icons on the desktop :)
Interesting stats, how many millions of code does nemo have?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can access the code here if you want to count it in detail https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo. I don't know. The stats I gave were the cumulative over that 5½ year period, taken from the commit logs (I excluded the initial commit of forking Nautilus). Code gets removed and added with every release. You remove the bits that don't work well and add other bits that work better.
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stavpup »

xenopeek wrote:You can access the code here if you want to count it in detail https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo. I don't know. The stats I gave were the cumulative over that 5½ year period, taken from the commit logs (I excluded the initial commit of forking Nautilus). Code gets removed and added with every release. You remove the bits that don't work well and add other bits that work better.
I used this site to count the lines of code in linuxmint/nemo

https://codetabs.com/count-loc/count-loc-online.html

It counts 125.000 lines of code, no way near the 0.5 million mark
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

xenopeek wrote:I thought I had read they would use Gnome 3.26. Full freeze ahead of 3.28 release is early March. That sounds a little late for inclusion in 18.04.
That's possible but they put 3.26 in 17.10 on the same short timeline. My assumption was since they were a gnome shell distro now they would ship the latest version. Could certainly be wrong on that though.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Chat about Linux”