What exactly was the point in uploading javascript into my computer?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

What exactly was the point in uploading javascript into my computer?

Post by flatiron »

I mean, confused? Why would you include this garbage in an update? Why would I need javascript? This is a security risk. What is the point in having this crud on a MINT system? And why don't you make it more noticeable when you do insane things like load javascript, needlessly onto a MINT machine?! Why exactly would I need this crud? And why is it not easy to undo this kinda crud?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What exactly was the point in uploading javascript into my computer?

Post by aes2011 »

flatiron wrote:I mean, confused? Why would you include this garbage in an update? Why would I need javascript? This is a security risk. What is the point in having this crud on a MINT system? And why don't you make it more noticeable when you do insane things like load javascript, needlessly onto a MINT machine?! Why exactly would I need this crud? And why is it not easy to undo this kinda crud?
Which update?
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Now I get to reload this stupid OS again. Just to get rid of something that should be in the appstore and not in a fricken update. confused?!?!?!
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

and

libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

flatiron wrote:gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

and

libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18
If you had done a simple search you would have found that they are core modules for browsers that use the webkit engine. In addition, many apps are written in javascript these days. Removing those core files will also remove at least these packages:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt remove --dry-run *javascriptcoregtk*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
[...]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 gir1.2-webkit-3.0 gufw libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18
  libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 libyelp0 metacity mint-artwork-common mint-artwork-kde mint-info-kde mint-meta-core
  mint-meta-kde mint-user-guide-kde mintreport mintsystem mintwelcome python-webkit ubuntu-system-adjustments yelp zenity
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 24 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Remv gufw [16.04.1-0ubuntu1.1]
Remv mintreport [1.0.5]
Remv gir1.2-webkit-3.0 [2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1]
Remv gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 [2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1]
Remv python-webkit [1.1.8-3.1]
Remv libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 [2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1]
Remv libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 [2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1]
Remv mint-meta-core [2017.09.19]
Remv mintwelcome [2.2.6]
Remv mint-info-kde [2017.10.27] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv mint-user-guide-kde [18] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv yelp [3.10.2.3] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv libyelp0 [3.10.2.3] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 [2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 [2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv metacity [1:3.18.7-0ubuntu0.3] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv mint-artwork-kde [2.0.31] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv mint-artwork-common [2.1.8] [mintsystem:amd64 ]
Remv mintsystem [8.3.4] [ubuntu-system-adjustments:amd64 ]
Remv zenity [3.18.1.1-1ubuntu2] [ubuntu-system-adjustments:amd64 ]
Remv libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 [2.18.4-0ubuntu0.16.04.1] [ubuntu-system-adjustments:amd64 ]
Remv libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 [2.18.4-0ubuntu0.16.04.1] [ubuntu-system-adjustments:amd64 ]
Remv ubuntu-system-adjustments [2017.05.21]
Last edited by catweazel on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Yeah, cus like, I should have to do a search to keep garbage from being loaded in to my computer during an update.

Why is this in an update instead of in the appstore?

I have already spent HOURS screwing with this crud. I just wanted to do some typing and gaming, but no!!!! EVEN THAT HAS TO BE HARD!!! FOR NO REASON!!!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

flatiron wrote:Yeah, cus like, I should have to do a search to keep garbage from being loaded in to my computer during an update.

I have already spent HOURS screwing with this crud. I just wanted to do some typing and gaming, but no!!!! EVEN THAT HAS TO BE HARD!!! FOR NO REASON!!!
I think you need to calm down. One more outburst and someone might call the mods.

The reason it's an update is because it's a core file in Linux Mint. Without those files, Mint wouldn't be Mint.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

These files are found even in non-Debian distributions.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

flatiron wrote:Yeah, cus like, I should have to do a search to keep garbage from being loaded in to my computer during an update.

You're really looking like a belligerent [redacted] here.
Last edited by Moem on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Be nice. Or if you can't be nice, be civil.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

1) I realize now that javascript was already on the system and this was just a security update

2) I would have know this sooner if when I went to the history I could see the descriptions and change logs still. I looked it up on a website and the very limited description I saw made it sound like javascript was actually being loaded into my system. I prefer to not have javascript when possible. But I guess that cannot be avoided here. And on this I will be making a new recommendation.

3) I was already pissed after putting up with this Ubuntu crap (I wanted my Unity games to run smoothly but Ubuntu is just awful)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

flatiron wrote:1) I realize now that javascript was already on the system and this was just a security update

2) I would have know this sooner if when I went to the history I could see the descriptions and change logs still. I looked it up on a website and the very limited description I saw made it sound like javascript was actually being loaded into my system. I prefer to not have javascript when possible. But I guess that cannot be avoided here. And on this I will be making a new recommendation.

3) I was already pissed after putting up with this Ubuntu crap (I wanted my Unity games to run smoothly but Ubuntu is just awful)
I wonder if anyone cares now.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

May I suggest some research in cases like this?
Moving this to chat, since it turns out to be about Ubuntu; not sure why the rant about Mint...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Because I am infuriated and close to my bed time, wherein I normally get quite delirious and this should have all been finished many hours before it was............................................................... :oops:
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Just because something has "Unity" in it doesn't mean it has to do with Ubuntu.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_games and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(game_engine)

From the second link:
Unity is a cross-platform game engine developed by Unity Technologies,[2] which is primarily used to develop both three-dimensional and two-dimensional video games and simulations for computers, consoles, and mobile devices. First announced only for OS X at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in 2005, it has since been extended to target 27 platforms.[3][4] Six major versions of Unity have been released. For a list of games made with Unity, visit List of Unity games.
Hope this enlightens flatiron.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Holy histrionics, Batman. When you're attention seeking in Linux forums it's a safe bet you could do with a break from the computer.

Return to “Chat about Linux”