Who no longer uses Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Who no longer uses Windows?

Post by whm1974 »

Back in late 2014 I finally ditched and completely quit using Windows due to Steam, Chrome/ and developers hard efforts to improve Linux. For me the Year of The Linux Desktop begin then. I can watch my movies and shows, and play my games without having to boot Windows. My games on my other SSD replacing Windows.

I don't miss Windows at all. I even removed it from the Thinkpad T430 notebook I brought last year. So who else doesn't use Windows anymore?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Who no longer uses Windows?

Post by Moem »

Me. I made the switch more than two years ago, keeping Win7 as a dual boot option; then after two years had passed, I found that I had not booted Windows at all after the first two weeks. So I ditched it completely when I upgraded from 17.3 to 18.2. And all was well with the world.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I took a linux course in 2010 at the local community college and was introduced to SuSe but kept Windows 7 on my PC and dual booted with SuSE but I didn't really like the inconvenience. An IT guy friend of the family told me about Ubuntu and free version VM so I went that route with Windows on a VM - I still didn't like it. And I wasn't a fan of Win 7 either (well I hated it to be honest). When a network security guy I met at a wedding reception ~2012/13 told me about Mint I made the decision to go 100% linux and after I did wondered why I didn't do it when I first started with linux. I won't touch Windows now for fear I might catch something.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Me at home. At work it is not possible - all software only for Windows 7.
Last edited by BigEasy on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

majpooper wrote:I took a linux course in 2010 at the local community college and was introduced to SuSe but kept Windows 7 on my PC and dual booted with SuSE but I didn't really like the inconvenience. An IT guy friend of the family told me about Ubuntu and free version VM so I went that route with Windows on a VM - I still didn't like it. And I wasn't a fan of Win 7 either (well I hated it to be honest). When a network security guy I met at a wedding reception ~2012/13 told me about Mint I made the decision to go 100% linux and after I did wondered why I didn't do it when I first started with linux. I won't touch Windows now for fear I might catch something.
While in my case I needed Windows to watch Netflix before Chrome made it possible do so on Linux without hassle. As far as Games go, I will only buy Games that run on Linux, or older titles using Wine.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

BigEasy wrote:Me at home. At work it is not possible - all software only for Windows.
Same here. :( I do keep a bunch of Linux virtual machines at work though.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi, im DAMIEN and i am a recovering windows user...lol...ok trust me im fully recovered...all it took was a win 10 cumulative update (along with previous ones) that either required 2 hours to download (internet connection speed of 63 mps) 1.5 hours to install with constant reboots during)...removing and deleting previously removed/deleted "features and add ons...think "candy crush" as well as others...add another couple of hours to reconfigure the OS to the way i use it verses microsoft insistence of they thinking they own my computer and not me and having to re-do such things as re-enabling things i had purposely disabled like telemetry etc. with the added "bonus" and "privilege" of having to repeat this each and every month and "viola"...in a fit of rage on Oct.5th 2016, i did a DBAN of microcrap windbloes 10 and then, by installing at that time LM 18.0 cinnamon i was now a newly converted, cold turkey, linux convert, never looking back or wondering what could have been, because i had seen the future (of using win 10) and it indeed reminded me of "The Day After" movie of many years ago of a post nuclear apocalyptic world...i have now entered the earthly "paradise" world of linux freedom and true ownership of my OS and how it works without all of the regular maintenance like ccleaner and defragging, and constant system monitoring against viruses and malware having to use anti-virus/anti-malware software...i can now just use my computers, now the master, no longer the slave of the machine...DAMIEN
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Me, me, ME! The last computer I had with Windows on it came with Win98SE. I set it up to dual boot with Xandros. I don't remember the last time I used Windows. None of the computers I currently use have any Windows on them. The one that had Win98 on it I installed antiX on it a while ago, wiping both Win and Xandros. I have another computer that has Xandros on it. It might have Win98 in Win4LIn, I don't remember for sure. One of these days I will probably put antiX or something else light weight on it. Or,maybe I'll just recycle it . Anyway, I no longer use Windows, and I don't miss it a bit. I go to the computer club at the local Senior Center to listen to them grumble about Windows, and encourage them to go to Linux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I'm doing it in stages, when I switched to mint about two years ago I was dual booting with win7, replaced my laptop spring 2017 and went for mint with win7 running as a VM in Virtualbox. Like others stuck with win7 for some things because of work.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Using Windows for work is using Windows. If I were using Windows for work, I would not have posted in this topic because I would have felt that I should not be counted as someone who doesn't use Windows. :P
After all, the questions was not posted as 'Who only uses Windows for work?'

Hmm, maybe I should post a poll! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Since 2006, I only use Windows for updating my TomTom navigation device. In recent years, in a virtual machine. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I'm considering going back to school part time, and I'm afraid I'll be forced to use Windows depending on which classes I take.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Have to use it at work but I don't mind that. It's up to someone else to keep the system operational and if MS is spying, that's my employer's problem.
Artim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Artim »

Windows free for about 4 years now I think. At school they insist on school assignments in "Microsoft format," but that is easily done in LibreOffice! A few times I needed to "borrow" a Windows machine to do silly things like format a thumb drive, until I found MintStick and I was like, "HA! Why doesn't every distro have a simple practical tool like this instead of some complicated scary thing like GParted just for formatting a USB stick?!" Other wonderful Minty things like the Updater that has helped me avoid some harmful updates that come from "up stream," including some Beta software! Who puts Beta stuff in a distro intended for novices anyway? Yikes!

I don't expect to ever go back to Windows. Not at home anyway.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

well, used to be Windows Free, but do maintain Windows machines,, for other folk

but, now have two PCs that have Windows on them:
- one is my "new" machine that is 64bit, that dual_ boots with Ultimate Edition,, & after years of using only 32bit PCs.
- one is my "new" Notebook, with win-10 on it, & mainly to enable me to be familiar with that version.
this Laptop is a Tri-boot, Linux Only Machine, & it's my main machine.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I keep XP in Virtual Box but rarely use it anymore. Give me another year and I will probably wipe it out completely... :-)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

In early 2016, M$'s forced GWX KB3035583 updates, forced monthly Patch Rollups(started in April 2016) and forced Telemetry & Data collection(eg KB2952664 updates) forced me to move from Win 7 to Linux Mint 17. I still keep Win 7 as a backup OS, eg to burn Live LM DVD/USB.
... Linux is not perfect but is a good alternative for average computer users.

Because of Windows decades-old market monopoly(= since the 1990s), many companies, professionals and gamers are stuck in the constricting Windows.
... Win 7 is the last good Windows from M$.

M$-Win 10's forced auto-updates, upgrades and Telemetry & Data collection will force me to perpetually stay away from Windows.

In comparison, Apple's high gouging prices kept me away from MacOS.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

I too view being MS-free as paradise. It's incredible to have pressure sensitivity for art and that the Krita appimage runs so well, plus I love mdm's display/resize images and folders etc. Extras, such as Playonlinux, inc some larger games, and to find GOG too, were things I had no idea of on May 19th last year, and I feel very lucky to be able to work and, unexpectedly, play. The stability and privacy literally does health good, and watching the updates quickly and easily happen is amazing.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I haven't had any Windows partitions for a few years but for a few years before that I had one but never used it.

It's not ideological, and Windows 7 wasn't that bad, but I just like Linux better.

I don't suggest all Linux users get rid of Windows because, yes, some will need Windows. But I don't.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Still Photoshop but not a lot lately. Beginning to use GIMP more and more. I also find (not often) that Firefox, Chrome won't work for some things I'm doing. I have to use ... :oops: Internet Explorer. I've also experienced printing issues (not often) with Linux and Windows will print :?:

Return to “Chat about Linux”