Who no longer uses Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Who no longer uses Windows?

Post by bjmh46 »

No windows for me since I started using Mint 13 xfce. We still have one laptop (my wifes) that is running Win 7. My wife also has a Mint 17 xfce laptop and for what she does, is comfortable with both linux and windows. I recently upgraded my laptops from Mint 17 xfce to Mint 18.2 xfce. Ran 18.2 for about a week, and reverted back to 17 because of a few annoyances, and the fact that I've never warmed to the 18.x version. I do maintain a couple of external drives with 18.2 xfce for the eventual day that 17 reaches end of support in 2019. It's about 1.5 hours to competely go from one os to the other using clonezilla. That's on four laptops and includes a fresh backup after the switch/update--gotta love linux!

Bob
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

I still use Windows for games and blu rays.

And, unfortunately, still at work. Time for a rant:

At 5pm today, just as I was about to head out the door, my boss asks me to do a trivial task - put a shortcut on the desktop for the secretary. She had already left for the night so I boot up her PC, and create the shortcut. The PC is on for no more than 3 minutes. I go to shutdown, and I see 'Update and Shutdown'. Son of a...

And of course, it's the Fall Creator update that somehow got pushed on me in the 3 minutes that the PC was on. So I have to wait around for 25 minutes while this thing updates. Just enough time so that I can hit the road at prime traffic jam time.

Auto-updates was one of the main reasons I finally took the plunge into using Linux. And they still manage to burn me.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Me, though, it hasn't been too long since I had a Windows machine. For a long time I'd just had the one, strictly for games, but that ended and I went completely Windows free once I got all my favourite games running well on Windows via WINE and occasionally other methods. Everything else has long worked well for me and now gaming does as well so long as I stick mostly to games that offer native Linux support and the odd game I really want to play that Wine can get running to a playable extent.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

Me, since LM13. I did lots of reading before taking the plunge and installing 13 on a spare pc. I was expecting the installation to take a couple of hours, but in 15 minutes or so it said it had finished. I was then expecting to spend some hours looking for drivers for my network card and printers, I was so shocked when I realised that it was all working and the updater had already checked for updates. Absolutely astounding. Never went back. On the odd occasion I've used someone's Windows machine I feel soiled. Unreasonable I know, but it's good to have a reminder of how lucky I feel to be here.
Go Steady, but keep going
UOOP

Post by UOOP »

I just recently switched from Windows 10 to Linux Mint 18.3 a few months back and man am I glad I did that! :lol: I had a buddy years ago who had a Linux machine (I think it was Read Hat) and I thought it was the coolest thing. Years later, on a Windows machine, I decided to dual boot Linux Mint. After a week of playing with it, I wiped my machine and fully committed. I will never go back to Windows after liberating my machine :D
BaltyRaven

Post by BaltyRaven »

ugly wrote:I still use Windows for games and blu rays.

At 5pm today, just as I was about to head out the door, my boss asks me to do a trivial task - put a shortcut on the desktop for the secretary. She had already left for the night so I boot up her PC, and create the shortcut. The PC is on for no more than 3 minutes. I go to shutdown, and I see 'Update and Shutdown'. Son of a...

And of course, it's the Fall Creator update that somehow got pushed on me in the 3 minutes that the PC was on. So I have to wait around for 25 minutes while this thing updates. Just enough time so that I can hit the road at prime traffic jam time.

Auto-updates was one of the main reasons I finally took the plunge into using Linux. And they still manage to burn me.
If it was already going to shutdown, then I suppose that you could have just left while the updates were still going. Unless your job requires to watch the computer shutdown for the whole time until it goes off. Also, I know how you feel about not using a lot of games and Blu-Rays for Linux. Somebody should really put in a dedicated Blu-Ray Player for Linux without that much problems.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

BaltyRaven wrote:

If it was already going to shutdown, then I suppose that you could have just left while the updates were still going. Unless your job requires to watch the computer shutdown for the whole time until it goes off. Also, I know how you feel about not using a lot of games and Blu-Rays for Linux. Somebody should really put in a dedicated Blu-Ray Player for Linux without that much problems.
Actually you can playback Blu-Rays on Linux, but it's illegal in the US due to the DMCA.
BaltyRaven

Post by BaltyRaven »

whm1974 wrote:
BaltyRaven wrote:

Actually you can playback Blu-Rays on Linux, but it's illegal in the US due to the DMCA.
If that's the case, then.. I could probably why you still need Windows. Although you could just a Blu-Ray Player and hook it up for your TV. Even for portability, you (or ugly) could save your money and get a portable Blu-Ray player (the one that I found cost about $290 on Amazon).

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPSX910-Po ... C10%7C1%7C
teatime

Post by teatime »

Hi

At work I have to use Windows 7 but at home there is no Windows anymore - we have two Mac's (both owned by my gf) and me have my development box (dual boot, Debian/RH7) and my laptop with disk switching :-) Debian / Mint. For watching videos - in case of time we use our PS4 (netflix, blu rays).
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I feel that this thread snubs people like me...

...who weren't Windows users to begin with. :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Portreve wrote:I feel that this thread snubs people like me that were MS-Dos users.
*FIXED*

:D :wink:
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Portreve wrote:I feel that this thread snubs people like me...

Sorry. Considering that I didn't start out using Windows to begin with myself, that wasn't my intent.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lucap wrote:
Portreve wrote:I feel that this thread snubs people like me that were MS-Dos users.
*FIXED*

lol... No, I was a Mac OS user. I left Mac OS X for GNU+Linux.

Now, mind you, I have used MS-DOS 3.2, 5.0, and 6.22, and Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, NT 4.0, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7. I've also supported (as an enthusiast and as a professional) DOS 6.22, Win 95, 98SE, ME, and XP.
whm1974 wrote:

Sorry. Considering that I didn't start out using Windows to begin with myself, that wasn't my intent.
You did see the laughing smiley face in my original post, right?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Portreve wrote:
Lucap wrote:
*FIXED*

lol... No, I was a Mac OS user. I left Mac OS X for GNU+Linux.

Now, mind you, I have used MS-DOS 3.2, 5.0, and 6.22, and Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, NT 4.0, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7. I've also supported (as an enthusiast and as a professional) DOS 6.22, Win 95, 98SE, ME, and XP.
whm1974 wrote:

You did see the laughing smiley face in my original post, right?
I'm only Covering My Arse here.
mram1340

Post by mram1340 »

Moem wrote:Using Windows for work is using Windows. If I were using Windows for work, I would not have posted in this topic because I would have felt that I should not be counted as someone who doesn't use Windows. :P
After all, the questions was not posted as 'Who only uses Windows for work?'

Hmm, maybe I should post a poll! :D
Well to be fair nobody uses windows, it uses you!
sevendogs

Post by sevendogs »

Switched to Linux as my main desktop about 20 years ago but kept windows around for gaming. Last year I realized I never booted the windows drive (dual boot, separate drives) so decided to use that drive for gaming only using Steam and wine. Not going back to windows ever. Hated it since 1993 when I first saw it, hate it to this day. I am forced to use it at work which is a daily reminder why I don't use it at home :D

I do not rely on any windows software at home, period. I never have and made a conscious decision to not ever depend on windows for anything important.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

iTunes.
iTunes demands Windows, so I run it on a VM, and that's all it does.
Why an iPod, you may ask?
Because nobody else makes an alternative that's anywhere near as reliable as this old iPod Touch. I've tried half a dozen, and they've all been crap in comparison.
(I haven't figured out Hackintosh for a VM yet; when I do I'll be able to defenestrate myself.)
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I dual-booted for the final time in 2005. I was a Mandrake/Mandriva user and I finally found no reason to keep Windows XP on my machine any more, as I could do everything I needed in Linux.
I've never owned or used a Vista/Win7/Win8...etc...computer. Windows XP around the time of the Service Pack 3 release was my last kick at the can.

I don't hate Windows or look down on Windows users...it's just not for me.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Windows is really for people who want a tool, and don't care about how it works.
Askey307

Post by Askey307 »

I've always been a fan of WinXP and 7. My first experience with Linux was Red Hat and Kali Linux. Till December 2017 i got tired of Windows 10 and it's cosntant updates, everythig cost money, sluggish, crap performance and customization and the fact that Microsoft actually believe it or not logged into my system whilst I was busy installing a cracked version of Office :lol: and deleted it for me. confused moment if you ask me. So since then I did not believe in the privacy policies and security of Microsoft anymore. Linux Mint has been the saviour. It's sleek, runs amazing on a SSD drive, performs outstanding when compiling and programming. I only use Windows 7 for gaming purposes still. Wine gives me a bit of problems with WIndows programs.

All in all I love Mint to bits. Tested quite a few Linux ranging from ARC, Mint, Ubuntu, Deepin, Black Arc, Fedora and so far Mint number 1 and Arch number 2 with Black Arc as number 3.

When Linux are eventually fully compatible with all Games or most games and software without actually using wine I will give it a solid 10/10 now only 9/10.

Return to “Chat about Linux”