Torvalds declares patches "complete garbage" - Intel says Don't Deploy Faulty Patches

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Torvalds declares patches "complete garbage" - Intel says Don't Deploy Faulty Patches

Post by catweazel »

Three interesting articles on the recent patch-frenzy:

Intel: Don't Deploy Our Faulty Spectre Patches
The company is now advising users to stop deploying the current versions of its patches, as they 'may introduce higher than expected reboots and other unpredictable system behavior.'
Stop installing our buggy Spectre CPU firmware fixes, Intel says
“We have now identified the root cause for Broadwell and Haswell platforms, and made good progress in developing a solution to address it,” Intel executive vice president Navin Shenoy said in a January 22 post. “We recommend that OEMs, cloud service providers, system manufacturers, software vendors and end users stop deployment of current versions, as they may introduce higher than expected reboots and other unpredictable system behavior.”
Torvalds declares patches "complete garbage"
"They do literally insane things. They do things that do not make sense," he said of the patches in a post on the Linux kernel mailing list.

"And I really don't want to see these garbage patches just mindlessly sent around."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Faust

Re: Torvalds declares patches "complete garbage" - Intel says Don't Deploy Faulty Patches

Post by Faust »

@catweazel
In fairness to all readers , I feel your post should have an alert at the top :-

WARNING - this post contains common sense !

Intel have the worst case of " Headless Chicken Syndrome " on the planet right now , but then they have SO much to lose .

Some folks must have an awful lot of spare time on their hands to risk borking a perfectly good ,
stable and safe system for no valid reason ....
.... and there is still no bogey-man under the bed !
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Torvalds declares patches "complete garbage" - Intel says Don't Deploy Faulty Patches

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Some folks must have an awful lot of spare time on their hands to risk borking a perfectly good ,
I fully agree.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

The only thing I've done is install the official updates to the Debian and Slackare kernels. I don't see the sense in patch after patch. A lot of people are updating all they can. I don't think it does that much good in the long run.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Faust wrote: Intel have the worst case of " Headless Chicken Syndrome " on the planet right now , but then they have SO much to lose .
In economic terms, Intel doesn't seem to be hit that hard, not yet anyway. The value of their share has decreased by only ca. 1.25 % in
the past month, the "heyday" of Meltdown/Spectre:
Screenshot_2018-01-25_13-01-59.png
For the past three months there is even a rise by 1.11 %:
Screenshot_2018-01-25_13-04-02.png
(source: https://www.google.se/search?q=intel+st ... e&ie=UTF-8)

So what the future holds for Intel, in economic terms, remains still to be seen. I for one, I will not be buying any "Intel Inside" machine anytime soon despite an actual need for replacing my computer. But then there are billions of us.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote:
Faust wrote: Some folks must have an awful lot of spare time on their hands to risk borking a perfectly good ,
I fully agree.
Me too.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”