Why Shouldn't I Switch To Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintBean

Re: Why Shouldn't I Switch To Linux?

Post by MintBean »

jimallyn wrote:I asked why, and she said, "Because now I don't have to listen to Dave yell at the computer."
There it is right there.
My Mum's Mac Mini started getting flaky, stuttering, slowing down. I can't be bothered with Apple so I stuck Mint on it. Install was just as easy as a standard PC which surprised me and when it was up and running with a Mac-like doc added the learning curve for he was pretty much zero. No more freezes and easy to maintain for yours truly.
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

alexa9 wrote:What don't you like about Linux? I am hesitant to make the switch. Why is it worse/better than Windows or MacOS?
Thanks!
Simple because you are free to choose ..
BaltyRaven

Post by BaltyRaven »

If you just want to use either Windows or Mac OS, then it's your choice. Nobody is stopping you, OP. However, I use Linux as an experimental operating system since it's not that compatible with most of my Windows-centric applications. I only use it for testing out virtual machines on VirtualBox, or watch videos on YouTube. I mostly use it on my old ASUS laptop from 2013, since it ran very bad with Windows back then. It was more glitchy than any other computer that I have used since I started playing with them in 2003.

Sure, you could use something like Wine to make things more interesting if you are really into Windows. But if I really had to use something that Linux can't handle well, I would just use my Windows 7 VM. That or I could just use my two other computers that run Windows 10 fine. I put in way too much power on them than my ASUS.
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

BaltyRaven wrote:If you just want to use either Windows or Mac OS, then it's your choice. Nobody is stopping you, OP. However, I use Linux as an experimental operating system since it's not that compatible with most of my Windows-centric applications. I only use it for testing out virtual machines on VirtualBox, or watch videos on YouTube. I mostly use it on my old ASUS laptop from 2013, since it ran very bad with Windows back then. It was more glitchy than any other computer that I have used since I started playing with them in 2003.

Sure, you could use something like Wine to make things more interesting if you are really into Windows. But if I really had to use something that Linux can't handle well, I would just use my Windows 7 VM. That or I could just use my two other computers that run Windows 10 fine. I put in way too much power on them than my ASUS.

I can tell you ...
Thumbnails gave blue screen on my old computer with 10 ...
I went on the site of the manufacturer she advises to disable this feature and also disable the fastboot
I bought a new PC I ordered the motherboard from another manufacturer but they sent me from the same company as the old machine a new model...
And began to make the same blue ...
I disabled the thumbnails again and everything I had to do to not give blue screen on the 2013 computer I had to do in the 2017 ...
BaltyRaven

Post by BaltyRaven »

KalEl wrote:
BaltyRaven wrote:If you just want to use either Windows or Mac OS, then it's your choice. Nobody is stopping you, OP. However, I use Linux as an experimental operating system since it's not that compatible with most of my Windows-centric applications. I only use it for testing out virtual machines on VirtualBox, or watch videos on YouTube. I mostly use it on my old ASUS laptop from 2013, since it ran very bad with Windows back then. It was more glitchy than any other computer that I have used since I started playing with them in 2003.

I can tell you ...
I went on the site of the manufacturer she advises to disable this feature and also disable the fastboot
I bought a new PC I ordered the motherboard from another manufacturer but they sent me from the same company as the old machine a new model...
I disabled the thumbnails again and everything I had to do to not give blue screen on the 2013 computer I had to do in the 2017 ...
That really sucks. The least that I had with my old ASUS laptop was that it froze and I had to force it to shut down. I don't think I ever witnessed my old laptop getting a blue screen, but it was vulnerable enough to get something like that. But since it ran Windows 8 (not 8.1, which was the updated version of that OS), it was prone to everything that would make my laptop run worse than before. I'm glad that I have Linux Mint on it, since I don't want it screwing up again.
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

BaltyRaven wrote:
KalEl wrote:

I can tell you ...
That really sucks. The least that I had with my old ASUS laptop was that it froze and I had to force it to shut down. I don't think I ever witnessed my old laptop getting a blue screen, but it was vulnerable enough to get something like that. But since it ran Windows 8 (not 8.1, which was the updated version of that OS), it was prone to everything that would make my laptop run worse than before. I'm glad that I have Linux Mint on it, since I don't want it screwing up again.
My was ASUS too...
Unfortunately it seems like there is not much quality control on FoX ...
mram1340

Post by mram1340 »

catweazel wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
catweazel wrote: For me, the question was the other way around. I was sick of the same old same old... being spied on by M$, malware, having to buy applications to do menial tasks, update hell, being forced to upgrade when I didn't want to, and a host of other reasons to quit Windwoes.
I agree, and after being Windows free for over three years, I would have to be forced to use it now.
I think an inquisitive mind also helped. I was keen to learn something new, which at my age is a miracle.
You know your old when you have to get an ID card and use a calculator to find your age.
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

mram1340 wrote:
catweazel wrote:
whm1974 wrote: I agree, and after being Windows free for over three years, I would have to be forced to use it now.
I think an inquisitive mind also helped. I was keen to learn something new, which at my age is a miracle.
You know your old when you have to get an ID card and use a calculator to find your age.

All you have to do is follow this tutorial from this site ...

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home

Even if it is not in your language you can translate the page and copy the commands.

The most valuable thing in the world of computers is having the right to read on the internet.

All the programs installed on Linux have the help file the manual is a good read ...

Return to “Chat about Linux”