For a young but very good guitarist: Distro/DE?

Chat about Linux in general
wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

For a young but very good guitarist: Distro/DE?

Post by wutsinterweb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 am

I'm pretty strong about mostly sticking with Mint, but I do realize there is a big world out there and that there are more purpse built distros. What Distro and DE would a guitarist most appreciate? I'm asking in the most general sense, too, not specific to recording or effects or playing, but all around?
I'm just a student, your guidance is appreciated.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Re: For a young but very good guitarist: Distro/DE?

Post by catweazel » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 am

wutsinterweb wrote:I'm pretty strong about mostly sticking with Mint, but I do realize there is a big world out there and that there are more purpse built distros. What Distro and DE would a guitarist most appreciate? I'm asking in the most general sense, too, not specific to recording or effects or playing, but all around?
I'm not sure that question is answerable directly. Still, see this article.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Marziano
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Marziano » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:37 am

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:26 am

I've downloaded KX Studio for running a VM. How do those two compare?

I'd love to participate one day in making a musician's distro, that would be very cool. It would be even cooler to invent an instrument pedal that works via USB that used open source software and was native to Linux. There are musicians that do use computers and have for years, even on stage. I understand Robert Fripp has?

Marziano
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Marziano » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:56 pm

With KX Studio, you most probably got it all covered when it comes to "audio management".
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm

I'd love a distro that marketed open source software hard gear (pedals etcetera) that would give a VG8 potential. I love Pat Methany's VG8 sound on Roots of Coincidence. I guy can daydream, right? So far the only thing I've given a real try of successfully is Rakarrack which is terrific. Sadly, I reside in a multi family dwelling so I can't crank it like I'd wish.

My nephew is even better than I was at his age, but his sound is totally his generation. It would be so cool to set him up with a computer and gear, the boy needs to be in a band already.

Return to “Chat about Linux”