For a young but very good guitarist: Distro/DE?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

For a young but very good guitarist: Distro/DE?

Post by wutsinterweb »

I'm pretty strong about mostly sticking with Mint, but I do realize there is a big world out there and that there are more purpse built distros. What Distro and DE would a guitarist most appreciate? I'm asking in the most general sense, too, not specific to recording or effects or playing, but all around?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: For a young but very good guitarist: Distro/DE?

Post by catweazel »

wutsinterweb wrote:I'm pretty strong about mostly sticking with Mint, but I do realize there is a big world out there and that there are more purpse built distros. What Distro and DE would a guitarist most appreciate? I'm asking in the most general sense, too, not specific to recording or effects or playing, but all around?
I'm not sure that question is answerable directly. Still, see this article.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I've downloaded KX Studio for running a VM. How do those two compare?

I'd love to participate one day in making a musician's distro, that would be very cool. It would be even cooler to invent an instrument pedal that works via USB that used open source software and was native to Linux. There are musicians that do use computers and have for years, even on stage. I understand Robert Fripp has?
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

With KX Studio, you most probably got it all covered when it comes to "audio management".
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I'd love a distro that marketed open source software hard gear (pedals etcetera) that would give a VG8 potential. I love Pat Methany's VG8 sound on Roots of Coincidence. I guy can daydream, right? So far the only thing I've given a real try of successfully is Rakarrack which is terrific. Sadly, I reside in a multi family dwelling so I can't crank it like I'd wish.

My nephew is even better than I was at his age, but his sound is totally his generation. It would be so cool to set him up with a computer and gear, the boy needs to be in a band already.

Return to “Chat about Linux”