The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

Post by stavpup »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

Post by whm1974 »

Personally I don't see what is wrong with title bars at all.
Penn

Re: The CSD Initiative Is Pushing For Apps To Abandon Title Bars In Favor Of Header Bars

Post by Penn »

Sounds like Gnome is just pushing for some of the very things some people hate about Gnome.

There is a reason Cinnamon and Mate exist.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Penn wrote:Sounds like Gnome is just pushing for some of the very things some people hate about Gnome.
+1
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Ds-Wayland

KWin Developer's Response To The GNOME CSD Initiative.
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stavpup »

Here is a video for our amusement, Ubuntu Unity Locally Integrated Menus, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teAFgtHWDso
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that this CSD Initiative will not see much use outside of Gnome, and I am just wondering if this is just a case of change for the sake of change?

Meanwhile, I will continue to use Xfce.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Sounds a bit selfish trying to push things upstream. Less work for paid Gnome devs, more work for unpaid developers on other distros.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

I was always a fan of gedit. In mint 18.x, the version in the repository uses CSD. (client-side-decoration) I voiced an opinion on this before on this forum. Thankfully we have the Mint devs providing us with xapps!

Bob
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stavpup »

whm1974 wrote:Personally I don't see what is wrong with title bars at all.
It is wasted space specially in 15" monitors. I like CSD but it is up to the devs ...
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I like the consistency of title bars. They can be shrunk or hidden to minimize impact on screen space. CSD may make it easier for developers to make their interface unique but I feel it also invites divergence from the familiar UI experience.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Here's my issue with Header Bars as illustrated above: as a purely functional thing, it can be a challenge to grab a window for purposes of moving it around on the screen without accidentally clicking on elements (buttons, text fields, etc.) in that area, particularly when one crowds up the damn header area. If you're at the top of the window with your cursor, it's almost certain the thing you want to functionally do is re-position the window, and having to avoid other "tasks" to accomplish that is ridiculous.

Gnome has gotten wrong a great many things, in my opinion, since the 3.x migration. Honestly, as much to send a message as to leverage other capabilities, I really wish LM and other non Gnome 3-using desktop environment groups would migrate to KDE, or even perhaps write their own universal replacement for that stuff, and leave Gnome sitting there to look like the idiots they often are.

This is a really frustrating thing for me on a philosophical basis.
BG405 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:24 pmI like the consistency of title bars. They can be shrunk or hidden to minimize impact on screen space. CSD may make it easier for developers to make their interface unique but I feel it also invites divergence from the familiar UI experience.
Yes, this. Exactly.

The entire point of Xerox's and then Apple's GUI design rules was to produce an intuitive interface which was absolutely and universally consistent. Notwithstanding other negatives about Apple and their business decisions and then later their business practices, this was a very, very good idea. Walking away from it, which is what "Just put it all in the CSD-driven header" is just asking for trouble, just like in political circles saying that privitization is the omnibus solution to all of our governmental, political, and social problems.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

In the previous post, I said I wished LinuxMint would "migrate to KDE". That was a brain fart on my part.

I do not want LM to migrate to KDE.

I want LM to migrate to Qt.

Apologies to anyone who read this and was confused or misled.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”