Cinnamon constantly crashing on Fedora 27

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
h0wdy

Cinnamon constantly crashing on Fedora 27

Post by h0wdy »

For nearly 3 Fedora versions now(25-27), I constantly have issues with cinnamon crashing on my laptop, and says it's running in fallback mode.

I have been unable to figure out what is causing this.

journalctl -b0 >> boot.txt

I did this, but don't really see what I should be looking for.

Please see attachment.

Any advice?
cinnamon-core-dump.txt.pdf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Cinnamon constantly crashing on Fedora 27

Post by Moem »

My advice is to post on a Fedora forum, since this one is about Linux Mint and you're not running that. For that reason, I'm moving your post to Chat about Linux.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello h0wdy and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
Of course the first thing I notice is that this is about Fedora 27 and Not Mint, So It's not likely you'll get a good answer here on a Mint centric forum and
perhaps it would be better to engage the Fedora community in that discussion.

Or you could switch to Mint and see if the same behavior exist on this platform.

I've found that when I have trouble with Cinnamon running in fall back mode, it's generally caused by the Graphics card driver not being set up right or using the wrong driver for my card. So that may be an avenue that is causing your trouble.
Also if I'm not mistaken Fedora 27 comes with wayland as default and that could be the cause of the trouble. But since I have no Fedora installs at present I would only be guessing.
In any event welcome to the forum and good luck in your search for answers.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
h0wdy

Post by h0wdy »

Moem,

Why did you do that? My issue is not with Fedora, it's with Cinnamon, specifically.

That's why I posted in a Cinnamon forum.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

You may get more satisfaction by reporting the bug at this site (You will have to register.) git hub is where cinnamon development takes place. https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

h0wdy wrote:Moem,

Why did you do that? My issue is not with Fedora, it's with Cinnamon, specifically.

On any distro-specific forum, areas like the Cinnamon, XFCE, MATE, etc. sub-forum are not for that particular desktop environment, but that particular desktop environment on that particular distro.

The others above are correct: your issues with your particular desktop environment (in this case, Cinnamon) are best directed towards that particular support area of the forum for your particular distro. Fedora Forum is, in my experience, generally pretty helpful.
kc1di wrote:Or you could switch to Mint and see if the same behavior exist on this platform.
And this isn't a bad idea, either. On the whole over the years, I've found Debian-based districts tend to be a bit more solid than RedHat-based ones. They are, of course, not bleeding-edge like many other distros, such as Fedora, openSUSE, etc..
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

h0wdy wrote:My issue is not with Fedora, it's with Cinnamon, specifically.

Portreve explained it well, but just for the sake of completeness: you posted on a Cinnamon-on-Mint forum. And your issue is with Cinnamon-on-[notMint]. That's not what this forum is for and that explains why I moved your posting. Just keeping things organised!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

h0wdy wrote:Moem,

You actually have no idea if that's true or not. And this is a Mint forum, not a Cinnamon forum.

I've had Fedora installed before and their support forum is rubbish for noobs, esp. if they display attitude like that.

Try Mint or Ubuntu instead. They're the only noob suitable distros really.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”