When did you come to Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mbott001
Level 2
Level 2

Re: When did you come to Linux?

Post by mbott001 »

2007 here with Ubuntu 7.04. Now running 19.1 Cinnamon and not looking back.

--
Mike
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Another thing about GNU/Linux that I love: It is a world-wide effort that benefits people all over the world, not just rich greedy Americans. Yes, much of the work on it is done by pad workers, but, as is seen in this forum, it's not centric to any place except that the English language is unavoidably predominant. I like the global good mission of it.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My daughters computer went down, and she HAD to have a laptop for college so my new(ish) HP Pavillion gaming computer with dual drives and Mint 19.1 went to her, and she likes it. So I might not get it back. I got the Pavillion in a divorce sale for a song. Judge told the husband to sell stuff to give to the ex-wife, so he was a computer lover, and he sold everything at firesale prices. I got the six core HP with an 1050ti, 16 gb of ram, a 500 gb NvME ssd, and 2 tb ssd that he custom ordered from HP (he replaced the drives after he got it) for $100. He told me that he was doing that so his ex got almost nothing since she cheated on him and had a better lawyer. He was also selling a Macbook Pro 2018 model for $200! I only had enough for the HP. Everything else was like that, dirt cheap.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BG405 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:24 pm
wutsinterweb wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:55 am I wonder how many here have set up Gentoo from scratch...
I'm tempted, being  a glutton for punishment  a keen experimenter. It can't be that much "harder" than Arch, can it ..? :mrgreen:
Brave man, very brave man, if you want pain, why not go Slackware?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yep, the daughter is keeping the laptop. Oh, well what's mine is hers and what's hers is hers..... Can anyone suggest good note taking software in Linux?
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

I honestly don't remember what the first GNU/Linux distribution I tried was. The earliest one that I DO remember using, though, was Mandrake. Early last decade, I tried Slackware and Red Hat. I didn't know much about Linux at the time, though, and definitely didn't know the CLI at all. I remember even being proud that I could just google different ways of showing files on the command line lol! It wasn't until 2006, though, when I took a Linux class at the community college near me. I easily got an A in the class, and I was confident that I was solidly the second-best Linux user in the class, behind my good friend Dave, who, if I recall correctly, had been a Linux user since the '90s.

GNU/Linux has been my primary OS of choice ever since 2006. I normally take pride in being able to honestly say that I taught myself <insert subject />, but I will honestly say that I'm glad I took that Linux class, because I learned it very well because of it. I haven't risen to the level at which I can contribute to any meaningful software projects as a developer, but I'm able to do almost anything I think of trying on it, such as fixing 99% of my problems, setting up and configuring a Debian router, compiling my own kernel, etc...which is good enough for me.

I miss Crunchbang. And I really liked Ubuntu, before the news of Canonical being involved in adware/malware, which was the point when I switched to Mint for the OS on my main (desktop) computer.
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:34 am Yep, the daughter is keeping the laptop. Oh, well what's mine is hers and what's hers is hers..... Can anyone suggest good note taking software in Linux?
My favorite text editor of all time is Vim. GUI Pluma comes in second.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

For note taking apps, which of these is quick to learn, and works well?
1) Simplenote
2) Turtl
3) Keepnote
4) Wiznote

Thanks.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

2016! i joined the forum the next day right after the break in to Linux Mint in Bulgaria. :mrgreen:
Joe-C

Post by Joe-C »

I switched a couple of weeks ago because a tiny lightweight, perfect for travel Dell with only 32GB was sitting useless due to Win10 updates. Now there's 14 GB free & the computer is working, probably better than new.
So far only problem has been connecting to Dell wireless MFP. This makes me reluctant to replace Win10 with Mint on another laptop. I know I could run both but it seems ridiculous to keep Windows only for printing. So I'm new & would appreciate any suggestions.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

JOE, do you have your firewall set up properly to allow the IP of the printer? Did you install drivers?
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Joe-C wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm I switched a couple of weeks ago because a tiny lightweight, perfect for travel Dell with only 32GB was sitting useless due to Win10 updates. Now there's 14 GB free & the computer is working, probably better than new.
So far only problem has been connecting to Dell wireless MFP. This makes me reluctant to replace Win10 with Mint on another laptop. I know I could run both but it seems ridiculous to keep Windows only for printing. So I'm new & would appreciate any suggestions.
You should start a thread in the support forums for that. This is a chat forum and your request is likely to get drowned out.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Joe-C wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm I switched a couple of weeks ago because a tiny lightweight, perfect for travel Dell with only 32GB was sitting useless due to Win10 updates. Now there's 14 GB free & the computer is working, probably better than new.
How are you handling having only 32 gb of storage? Also how much ram does that machine have?
Joe-C

Post by Joe-C »

The 32 GB drive isn't a problem despite being so tiny by today's standards. There's only 2 GB RAM & a 1.6 GHz Celeron. I did add a 64 GB SD card but haven't needed it yet - mostly because I haven't been able to get printing set up despite the advice I've been getting here.

Newer Dell 11's have same 32 GB but 4 GB RAM & I believe a faster AMD processor. I'd recommend it but not without switching to Linux even though it comes with Win10 - if you have a use for a lightweight computer. Win10 will devour the entire drive in a short time.

Joe
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:21 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:48 pm
MurphCID wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:29 pm I was adequately proficient in DOS, and pretty good in Windows 95-7 (even hacking registry). Windows 10 is beyond my minor skills. I just wish I had more time to learn linux deeply.
I was a batch file wizard. Built menus and automation for menial tasks in minutes.

I can't seem to translate that success into BASH programming, however... :(
I remember doing batch files, I also remember copying BASIC programs from magazines, and looking forward to each and every issue of BYTE magazine. I would immediately go to Jerry Pournelle's latest column to read about the computers and software I could never afford back then.
Well, he may have CALLED his place "Chaos Manor", but *I* LIVE in it! :shock:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BG405 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:24 pm
wutsinterweb wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:55 am I wonder how many here have set up Gentoo from scratch...
I'm tempted, being  a glutton for punishment  a keen experimenter. It can't be that much "harder" than Arch, can it ..? :mrgreen:
I have been on Mint far too long now. Not having to tweak something every other day has made me fat and lazy. Guess I should try Arch again and fire the synapses up...

I should try Linux From Scratch, but you'd all be hearing in the news "A man hung himself today using a shredded "Linux" penguin doll..."

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:21 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:48 pm

I was a batch file wizard. Built menus and automation for menial tasks in minutes.

I can't seem to translate that success into BASH programming, however... :(
I remember doing batch files, I also remember copying BASIC programs from magazines, and looking forward to each and every issue of BYTE magazine. I would immediately go to Jerry Pournelle's latest column to read about the computers and software I could never afford back then.
Well, he may have CALLED his place "Chaos Manor", but *I* LIVE in it! :shock:
ROTFLMAO! I feel your pain!
handsomegenius

Post by handsomegenius »

I first installed Linux as a dual boot partition back around 2002. I was using Unix at university, and thought that the whole open source movement sounded like an excellent thing to be part of. So, as you did back then,

I bought a magazine with an installer CD on the front cover - I honestly can't remember which distribution it was. I installed it successfully, played some of the primitive but fun games that came included, then wasn't sure what else to do with it. It was difficult to get it to connect to the internet.

After this experience, I decided that Linux was for other people. I'd gotten a job that meant that I had Windows laptops anyway.

Then, a few years ago, I bought a Raspberry Pi so that I could play old video games. This meant I was back on Linux, which initially caused me some frustration. I came to like it though, and started using it for all sorts of other projects. I started doing simple stuff in the cloud with Linux too - building my own VPN and such. I also found my way to the Windows Subsystem for Linux and started using that for various things - learning Python, web stuff and so on.

One little hobby project I got into on the Pi was dicking around with open source synthesizers. I have no idea what I'm doing with that but it's pretty fun. But it quickly became apparent that if I wanted to take this further, I'd need to use my x86 machine. Getting it up and running with a working installation took me 6 days. At that point I couldn't figure out how to get the wireless driver installed on Linux Mint, so I was using Ubuntu Studio.

After I was over the installation hurdle, wow! I was blown away with how easy it was. My other experiences with Linux had me braced for something fairly unpolished. Instead, it was actually a LOT easier than Windows in most ways - so much easier to install software, beautiful updates, menus and settings that actually make sense.

About a month or two ago I switched to Linux Mint - I didn't end up doing much with the audio software on Ubuntu Studio. I love it! I'm not even sure what else to say about it, because it all just works. Cinnamon actually reminds me a lot of the Windows of yesteryear, back when Windows actually made sense and you could find stuff.

I am contemplating an Arch partition in future. I would probably never switch over to something like that full time - it would more be just a project to learn from.

The awesomeness of Linux as a desktop operating system is a hugely well kept secret
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

handsomegenius wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:52 pm I am contemplating an Arch partition in future. I would probably never switch over to something like that full time - it would more be just a project to learn from.

The awesomeness of Linux as a desktop operating system is a hugely well kept secret
You just said a dirty word! :oops:

I love Arch. You can make it do just about anything. You can customize the interface, you can load just about any program ever written for Linux, you can make it your own.

Now, for the Caveats...

I make "Mint Sticks" for fun and, sometimes, profit (usually entailing having dinner with friends or a bottle of some nice Adult beverage...) and it's a breeze. I can whip together a custom install in less than a day, make the ISO and put it on a thumbdrive in 6 hours or less, depending on requirements. I have one friend who runs a portable recording studio from it, with a USB drive to hold the recordings; his wife and 2 other people have sticks for photo and video, and one has VJ/DJ software. If you look through this forum, you will find where I nearly tore what little is left of my hair out trying to get one made in Arch. I did it, but it was too wonky and took way to long to be practical. In the end, with Mint, there is only one old piece of photo software I can't install, but I didn't use it much anyway.

Second, it's a "rolling release". Some people like this. But it can cause issues. Usually I did an update, rebooted, borked my system and as I was starting to reinstall the "boss" would call and say, "Can you take a look at..." The third time I said, "I have to reload Linux" he told me to either get back on Windows, or find something that worked. That was what made me come back to Mint. Arch is good, but it's a hobby. :wink:

And, let's say you find that one piece of software you REALLY REALLY liked, and load it up, load all the libraries, get everything playing nicely with others...
Once you do this, DISABLE UPDATES! They'll roll you a new one and that piece of software no longer works, or, worse, it borks your system 3 minutes before the boss calls....

Have a look at my sig...put Arch on it's own drive, and if you plan on using it for more than "I just want to play with Arch", like photos, videos or music, you know, things you want to KEEP, partition the drive so you have ~33G for the OS, and the rest of the drive for your data. I learned that back in 2008, after my first fiasco with Arch's rolling borking my system; luckily, nothing was irreplaceable.

Lastly, there's the Good Old Arch Community. I don't like talking bad about people; in this case I will make an exception. The Developers and Maintainers are gods, Living Legends in their Own Minds...Sorry, Mrs Fletcher, help is NOT on the way! "Why don't you sift through pages and pages of documentation before asking such a stupid question?" One maintainer had a link to nowhere; when I commented on it he more or less said, Well, you should have KNOWN where it was! after he had fixed the link. There are some good people there who want to help you further your adventure into Arch, but finding them can be a harrowing experience. Not like here.

Oh, one more "Lastly": "We do things the Arch Way". Yes, there is an Arch Way. No shortcuts, just pages and pages of documentation. Installing Arch can be a real pain (since you had a Pi it's probably not as bad...) One guy came up with a REAL nifty installer and was fed so much cra...er, BUNK from the Arch Aficionados he finally threw in the towel and gave up.

If you want to forage into Arch and have a more pleasant experience, Manjaro is the way to go. It is the best Arch-based distro out there, they are semi-rolling (they don't push anything out until they are sure it works...) and installation is a heck of a lot easier. You can use AUR and the Arch repositories, if you are a glutton for punishment.

Just bear in mind; when you get your system set up and running, and have forced some older package on it and got it to work, LOCK THINGS UP. What the heck...getting on the Internet isn't THAT important, is it? :D

Good luck!

handsomegenius

Post by handsomegenius »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm
handsomegenius wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:52 pm I am contemplating an Arch partition in future. I would probably never switch over to something like that full time - it would more be just a project to learn from.

If you want to forage into Arch and have a more pleasant experience, Manjaro is the way to go.
Then what would be the point? For an operating system that just works, I already have Linux Mint.

Return to “Chat about Linux”