When did you come to Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Re: When did you come to Linux?

Post by MurphCID »

If it was not for photoshop, iTunes, and games, I would go 100% Linux Mint on all my machines. The kids and spouse-unit still would need MS Office.
zshlover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zshlover »

20 years ago, on slackware linux. This was before youtube, smartphones, all support was in IRC. It was something like this

And hours to get X working and networking. Back then there were issues with usb support too. Times change :lol:
Learn Python: pythonspot.com, pyqt
tuxedlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tuxedlinux »

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 am
I am curious, as to when people came to Linux. I got interested in Linux back in 2000 with Mandrake Linux. I bought a boxed copy from a computer store, and took it home, and installed it on one of my desktop computers. I was lost. I mean lost. It was so different from Windows 98, and the Linux community back then was very elitist and there was too much RTFM'ing, too much "you are just a (l)user because you cannot hack scripts, write code, cannot use the command line and install on bare metal. I was turned off. I was derided for using a "baby" distro like Mandrake, instead of Slackware, Debian, Red Hat or building from scratch.

I was actually banned from a linux board for asking questions, and pointing out how they were turning off people like me who wanted to use Linux, but needed help. I remember I had a second hand 33.6K modem in my computer that a buddy had given me when he had upgraded to a bleeding edge 56k V.90 modem. I was using a Cyrix 6x86 chip a 166 mhz. After I had such a bad experience, I left linux for almost a decade with the attitude of "F" those elitist bastiges.

I was utter revolted by the super elite attitudes I encountered. Then I tried SuSE linux around 2009-2010 and was under impressed, so I left Linux again, but I had noticed that the communities were no longer so "LEET", and much more willing to help newbies. So I had a better opinion of Linux. Then in 2012 or so, I found this thing called Ubuntu, and it was decent, I think it was version 11.04. Then I started seeing this thing called "Mint Linux. In the meantime I had updated to winders 7, and loved it. But there was a void, I needed to have filled. I played with installing some of the BSDs, no love there. Then I installed Mint around 2014 and it was version 17.1. I used an old Compaq laptop, and it worked. It just worked! I felt like I was accomplished, I felt some of the thrill from booting up my very first computer using DOS 1.1.

Then I found this board, and to my utter amazement, not only were the people nice, helpful, and patient with me, there was no elitist stink, no RTFM, no "how dare you not use command line, how dare you not be able to write scripts to make things work!". I felt like I was home. Thanks Mint.
I first started using Linux in January 16, 2020. I started with Ubuntu 18.04 and now use Mint 20.
Why Linux? Because of the freedom Image
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

zshlover wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:52 am
20 years ago, on slackware linux. This was before youtube, smartphones, all support was in IRC. It was something like this

And hours to get X working and networking. Back then there were issues with usb support too. Times change :lol:
Dude! You are my hero, a real OG Slackware user!
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I hardly consider 2013 to be "OG"....

Return to “Chat about Linux”