Packages

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

Packages

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Skype is available via a SNAP now. I haven't tried it, but is anyone else getting package fatigue :-) Excluding apt, rpm, pacman, the list seems to be: flatpak, aptimage, snap, and cpan, gem, pip, pear, npm, cabal, get.

Did I miss any? :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Packages

Post by thx-1138 »

lmuserx4849 wrote:Skype is available via a SNAP now. I haven't tried it, but is anyone else getting package fatigue :-) Excluding apt, rpm, pacman, the list seems to be: flatpak, aptimage, snap, and cpan, gem, pip, pear, npm, cabal, get.

Did I miss any? :-)
...Cargo? :)
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Cargo. Good one.

I try to judge the merits of these downloads, but sometimes if you want to keep moving forward... I've used cpan for years for perl. I wanted to do something pretty simple with javascript, which is when I learned about npm. Then I tried asciidoctor (ruby) as an alternative to asciidoc (python), both with source highlighting. I used gem and pip. I am glad I was able to do something like this, but there is no one source I can go to anymore to see what is current on my system.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The only non-repo software I deal with is Chrome (a .deb installer from Alphabet) and Scribus 1.5.3 (a development fork via AppImage).

Other than that, I arrange things around availability of minimum versions of software I need to run, and pick my distro based on that (among other things). That's a significant part of why I run LM.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lmuserx4849

Re: Packages - Never look at npm the same again

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Botched npm Update Crashes Linux Systems, Forces Users to Reinstall
A bug in npm (Node Package Manager), the most widely used JavaScript package manager, will change ownership of crucial Linux system folders, such as /etc, /usr, /boot.
Users who installed this update —mostly developers and software engineers— will likely have to reinstall their system from scratch or restore from a previous system image.
I am still gobsmacked by the number of package managers, and the apathetic view of just install this or that. This is particularly noticeable when it comes to Web development. I am thinking npm should never run on a productive machine.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Packages - Never look at npm the same again

Post by Hoser Rob »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:28 pm Botched npm Update Crashes Linux Systems, Forces Users to Reinstall
A bug in npm (Node Package Manager), the most widely used JavaScript package manager, will change ownership of crucial Linux system folders, such as /etc, /usr, /boot.
Users who installed this update —mostly developers and software engineers— will likely have to reinstall their system from scratch or restore from a previous system image.
I am still gobsmacked by the number of package managers, and the apathetic view of just install this or that. This is particularly noticeable when it comes to Web development. I am thinking npm should never run on a productive machine.
I'd never install a 3rd party program for something like that anyway. If the standard package manager is that bad I'm just going to reinstall another distro. That's part of the reason I'll probably never install Fedora again.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”