LibreOffice 6.0

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

LibreOffice 6.0

Post by mike acker »

the install went off without a hitch

( LMDE2 )

this is installed via from .deb using dpkg. it's a snap to do; ( but I wish they'd sign the downloads for us )

a couple other programs is use - notably Darktable -- need to be installed from the Backports but this isn't any trouble either.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: LibreOffice 6.0

Post by Fred Barclay »

I've already installed it on my work computer (Windows 7)... I'm waiting for it to appear in Fedora's repos before I put it on my home machine, though.

It's pretty nice too! IMHO it's not quite as huge an improvement as LO 5 was to LO 4 (for me, anyways), but lots of nice little touches here and there. It still doesn't like complicated Office files though... :?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

SoftMaker Office 2018

Post by Pierre »

This One is Not Free - - it's the newly minted version of SoftMaker Office 2018
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/down ... 2018-linux
SoftMaker Office is a paid, cross-platform alternative to Microsoft Office and LibreOffice that looks like the former,
and (hopefully) works as well as the latter.

You can purchase SoftMaker Office 2018 for Linux from the developer’s website for $69.95. This fee allows you install the app on up to 5 separate PCs and (one images) a mix of operating systems.

from my Point of View - - it's actually nice to see another Company who is supporting Linux Systems,
- as well as That Other Operating System.

and so - - from my Point of View - - it's also Time for Linux Users to step up,,
- and support these companies.
8)

there is a Free 30-day Trial Version that is available to download from the SoftMaker website,
- though you will need to feed it an email address to get a product key.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Fred Barclay wrote:I've already installed it on my work computer (Windows 7)... I'm waiting for it to appear in Fedora's repos before I put it on my home machine, though.
If you something to use while you wait for it to hit the repos, you might want to take the AppImage for a spin. You can find it here:
https://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/i ... /stable-2/

The file you want is LibreOffice-fresh.standard-x86_64.AppImage.

The AppImage loads almost as fast on my antique system as the installed v5.4.4. All of the applications, even Base, seem to run as well as they do in the installed version. The only thing negative I have to say about the AppImage is LO does not put the version in the filename, which I consider to be a egregious error.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Fred Barclay wrote:I've already installed it on my work computer (Windows 7)... I'm waiting for it to appear in Fedora's repos before I put it on my home machine, though.
Just now you sounded one difference between working with the two systems :mrgreen:
1. I've already installed it
2. I'm waiting for it to appear
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: SoftMaker Office 2018

Post by mike acker »

Pierre wrote:This One is Not Free - - it's the newly minted version of SoftMaker Office 2018
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/down ... 2018-linux
SoftMaker Office is a paid, cross-platform alternative to Microsoft Office and LibreOffice that looks like the former,
and (hopefully) works as well as the latter.

{snip}
the thing that I'd be highly interested in is: support for APA format, particularly formatting of references. ( my daughter is working on her MSW at GVSU ).

I noticed LibreOffice does have the ability to link a database of reference sources. that's cool, but formatting the cite(s) and subsequent references per APA guidelines is the real chore
VM2B3280R75.jpg
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: SoftMaker Office 2018

Post by Pierre »

mike acker wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:52 am the thing that I'd be highly interested in is: support for APA format, particularly formatting of references. ( my daughter is working on her MSW at GVSU ).

I noticed LibreOffice does have the ability to link a database of reference sources. that's cool, but formatting the cite(s) and subsequent references per APA guidelines is the real chore

Mike, what had me intrigued was:
1) the Demo in that Link was using LinuxMint
3) this version of SoftMaker Office is supposed to the closest yet to M$O

so, you might want to test that ability, in the Demo Version - - assuming that it is the Full Version, that is.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stavpup »

Is Loffice 6 coming to flathub?
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

stavpup wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:18 pm Is Loffice 6 coming to flathub?
go for it !
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The video presentation is really cool, and clearly it's been created by people who understand how to market technology in the modern era.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

observations

-- trouble dealing with graphics pulled from web pages onto .odt format

-- trouble with horizontal line

xx

I'm going back to 5.4 an wait for 6.1
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Rasterized web graphics suck in any medium other than for-screen-display. Mostly they're somewhere between 72 - 96 dpi, and they suck when printed. If one is sourcing their images from that kind of location, other than for let's say documentation about a web interface, they're clearly not very professional or well-informed.

Then again, as someone who's spent a fair amount of his life actually in the print industry, I can tell you that generally, most people are idiots. Usually, they are belligerent idiots because they don't care that they don't know crap about that sort of stuff.

mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Portreve wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 am Rasterized web graphics suck{snip}
??

I didn't have trouble with LibreOffice 5.4 -- but the 6.0 version would show the image as a series of bands with a white line inbetween the bands

I'll just hold on version 5.4 until V 6.1 is offered
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

mike acker wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm??
I was referring to the low resolution of images found on the web, and that when people try and use them, the resolution means the resultant printed version is all pixelated and otherwise pretty garbage. I wasn't specifically referring to any particular LO bug.
I didn't have trouble with LibreOffice 5.4 -- but the 6.0 version would show the image as a series of bands with a white line inbetween the bands

So far, LO 5.1.6.2 (the "current" version for LM 18.3) works perfectly well for me. I trade in MS Office documents a lot because of my job, and I use LO Calc to create tools for my job that I personally use.

mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Portreve wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm
mike acker wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm??
I was referring to the low resolution of images found on the web, and that when people try and use them, the resolution means the resultant printed version is all pixelated and otherwise pretty garbage. I wasn't specifically referring to any particular LO bug.

So far, LO 5.1.6.2 (the "current" version for LM 18.3) works perfectly well for me. I trade in MS Office documents a lot because of my job, and I use LO Calc to create tools for my job that I personally use.
thanks !

this is always an interesting topic!

I checked on Wickedpaedia for a description of "raster graphics". their essay indicates raster graphics are the typical pixel based images we generally get from our cameras.

their essay also indicates it is important to recognize that pixels -- found in .jpeg or .cr2, or .nef images -- are not the same as dots -- that are printed by (e.g.) inkjet printers.

a camera pixel is a vector actually: 3 values, 1 each for red, green, and blue. while typical .jpeg images use an 8-bit value for each color a printer has to emit dots of magenta, cyan, and yellow in order to make a blend that will approximate the blend described by the pixel data.

in their example then they suggested that a .jpeg image set at 250 pixels/inch would print well at 1200 dots per inch.

Wickedpaedia essay URL

Back in the Day when I had to edit images for the Media Center I'd have to fuss with this stuff from time to time. Typically they'd ask for an image of a certain size -- say 2x3" -- and at 300 dpi. So, I'd scan their print or neg and then crop the part they wanted and re-size the cropped part to 600x900 px. then set the ppi to 300 and save the result as .tiff. they always wanted .tiff as they used PageMaker back then.

still, the relationship between pixels and dots always interested me. I think it is most likely specific to the printer and software used.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

So, there's a couple different factors in play here.

Flat out resolution, regardless of any other factor, is critical to clarity. Too low, and your image will be pixelated, the specific appearance of this varying a bit depending on what device you print to, because of how it handles image data.

However, you're dealing with two other things here: color systems, and color gamut.

Notwithstanding an alpha channel, images are physically displayed using RGB. All displays, no matter if it's an analog picture tube or the latest and greatest LCD panel, render using Red, Green, and Blue. These are tiny picture elements — technically, these are called “sub-pixel elements” because they're what constitutes a pixel — and are grouped together as a triad shape (some types of CRT) or interleaved blocks of R-G-B (Trinitron and some similar CRT displays and LCD display). There are many different iterations of RGB, but without going too far down that particular rabbit hole, RGB has a fairly large (wide) total range of representable color possibilities, or "gamut".

It is also worth noting that RGB is an "additive color" system, meaning that the more of each color you put together, the closer to white you get. You can try it here on this message board by typing in the "color=" tag and specifying a hexadecimal number, prefaced by a hash tag (#) and then a pair of digits for red-then-green-then-blue in that order. 00 is the lowest value, and FF is the highest. Therefore, if you specified the color #FFFFFF, you'd get white, because that's 100% each of R, G, and B.

On the other hand, printers all use the CMYK standard. This stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. In general, CMYK has a narrower gamut than RGB, and something (nominally the printer and possibly in some cases the driver) have to convert the image over to print it. Now, CMYK uses a roughly circular dot pattern, called a rosette, which is printed in an interlocking pattern. Go grab a really strong magnifying glass, put it down on something you've printed, or a local color newspaper, and you'll easily see it. Oh, and CMYK is a subtractive color system, because the more colors you combine, the closer to Black you get.

There is a degree of sub-sampling and a form of what you might call "nearest neighbor" when converting from RGB to CMYK simply because not all the same colors exist. You also have what are called "screen frequencies", which is essentially the resolution of the CMYK rosette, and screen angles because in order to be visible, you have to print the dots so that they're not on top of each other. Modern printer drivers and onboard components can do types of compensation to try and improve image quality, in terms of color and detail fidelity, but of course they have their limits, so the more data you give them to work with, the better. Also, some printers add in extra colors to extend out their own printable gamut. In the professional world, many years ago another standard, called Hexachrome, came out, I guess with the idea in mind to supplant CMYK. It really never became popular, but it was the same fundamental concept of having a color printer with six (hence "hex") instead of four colors.

Oh, and yes, I have many fond memories of PageMaker (which many, many moons later was supplanted by InDesign) and also QuarkXPress.

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

@ Portreve

On which system(s) did you use Pagemaker? ...long time ago

A little tip for those who work in the metric system:
If you set the scanner or print resolution to 254 dpi you can read the output directly in cm / mm

for example: image size 6000 x 4000 = 60 x 40 cm @ 254 dpi

Very handy if you work with cutouts. With good quality pictures, this is even enough for print templates.

Return to “Chat about Linux”