How Red Hat is Improving Battery Life on Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Embridioum

How Red Hat is Improving Battery Life on Linux

Post by Embridioum »

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/bett ... dora-linux

Hans de Goede from Red Hat has worked on these four power management tweaks that improved battery life on Fedora:
Enabling auto-suspend for USB Bluetooth
Enabling auto-suspend for Intel HDA codecs
Enabling SATA link PM by default
Enabling i915 Panel Self Refresh by default.

In his tests with these settings the idle power consumption of Fedora on a Lenovo ThinkPad T440s laptop dropped by 2 watts from ~7.9 Watts to ~5.6 watts.
I would love to see these changes in the next version of Mint as well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MichaelJohn

Re: How Red Hat is Improving Battery Life on Linux

Post by MichaelJohn »

I would love to see similar things done on many mobile phones!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Don't want to start a flame-war but Fedora is one reason I gave up on Linux years ago. Maybe I need to revisit it
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Pepi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23 am Maybe I need to revisit it
I did just that about 2 weeks ago, and I've been pleasantly surprised with Fedora 27 Cinnamon. I still like apt, or pacman, better than dnf though, at least for searching for packages in the repos.. :mrgreen:

Fedora doesn't ship packages that aren't free and open source, so if you don't want to spend a little time adding things like Chrome and codecs to watch videos, I'd recommend giving Korora a whirl - it's sort of the Mint of the Fedora world and comes with lots of extra packages so it should just work out-of-the-box. Actually, it comes with a little too much for my tastes.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pepi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23 am Don't want to start a flame-war but Fedora is one reason I gave up on Linux years ago. Maybe I need to revisit it
I sympathize about Fedora. I installed it on my netbook once and soon discovered that the package manager didn't work. The forum gurus said it was my fault because I didn't read the bugzillas. What sort of idiot thinks I'm going to install a Linux distro knowiing the package manager is broken???

However it's Red Hat, not Fedora, that was cited. They're not the same. RHEL is much more conservative, and Fedora users are basically RHEL beta testers. And of course since RHEL is a true enterprise distro and as such isn't free, you get to talk to actual tech support people who are obligated to solve your problems.

I'm sure that stuff will end up in Mint but not before it's adopted by Ubuntu. Which I'm sure will happen ... Red Hat is becoming more influential all the time.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

My very first exposure ever to GNU+Linux was about 1997 or so and RedHat 4.2. This, of course, was before they turned into a B2B distro. When that happened, they split off a version which became Fedora Core.

<tangent>
I was a big fan of the early versions of Fedora Core, but this was still back at a point in time when I couldn't do anything productive on it. The software hadn't either come into existence yet, or wasn't mature enough yet, for my needs. Also, at that time I was relatively ill-informed about a great many things (outside the world of technology, many of them political, philosophical, etc., and so not appropriate for discussion here on LMF) and as such I was still running Mac OS, and then later Mac OS X. From the late 90s through the early/mid 2000s, I had gotten into and built a number of x86 boxes, for myself, friends, and co-workers, and that was a lot of fun, though at the time I was generally putting some version of Windows on them.

Yes, it's true: I've also run Windows, though my primary platform was always Mac OS / Mac OS X.
</tangent>

To my understanding, RedHat and the Fedora Project have always been good about upstreaming their stuff, and once this gentleman's work has been fully validated and is considered ready, I have no doubt it'll be upstreamed, at which point Debian, Ubuntu, and anyone else out there will probably take a look at it and decide to include it. So while it's true that this can be a slow and sometimes annoying process, it ensures any changes get vetted numerous times and are made available for universal distribution. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Sounds like a winter project. Time for more testing :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”