Linux Mint Forums Color

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Linux Mint Forums Color

Post by Ozo »

I was very tired of the olive drab color of the Forums page and had hoped more options were going to be added with the new update but all I see in global settings is prosilver-minty. That yields Microsoft blue. However: as much as I hate Microsoft blue it is starting to grow on me. Anyone who loves a light theme will prefer this color. :)

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Forums Color

Post by xenopeek »

prosilver-minty is just the standard (drab if you must) phpBB forum theme you see on every other Linux forum out there. Only change is I added the Linux Mint logo to it. It has always been an option for people that don't like the minty colors.

Perhaps one day we'll have a new theme if a theme designer gets involved to make a new minty theme.

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Thats funny (the photo). Good luck with the more serious matter of finding a volunteer designer. Olive drab is a color (US ARMY) which may have been an exaggeration.

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

A kitten or puppy theme with animated button icons and a highly textured green and purple background would be nice.

For a Windows 10 forum.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Flemur wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 pm A kitten or puppy theme with animated button icons and a highly textured green and purple background would be nice.

For a Windows 10 forum.
You forget that it must pulse maybe even in time with the selected background music of your choice if you do not like the default Punk Rock.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I like the color. Reminds me of the days running HP3000 reports on the line printers
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Pepi wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm I like the color. Reminds me of the days running HP3000 reports on the line printers
I liked it well enough as I used it for so long after all. Still, sometimes a change is good therapy. It may just be the season, I was in a Spring cleaning frenzy recently and it did involve my computer hobby.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Pepi wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm I like the color. Reminds me of the days running HP3000 reports on the line printers
I still have about 50 lbs of that wide carriage paper and an Oki 24 pin.
Only needs a ribbon :lol:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

all41 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 pm I still have about 50 lbs of that wide carriage paper and an Oki 24 pin.
Many ribbons are still available, and not expensive. I used a Panasonic 9 pin at my shop for a long time, and the ribbons lasted forever. Much cheaper than inkjet cartridges, too.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 pm
all41 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 pm I still have about 50 lbs of that wide carriage paper and an Oki 24 pin.
Many ribbons are still available, and not expensive. I used a Panasonic 9 pin at my shop for a long time, and the ribbons lasted forever. Much cheaper than inkjet cartridges, too.
The color ones are much harder to find. :P
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Mint Forums Color

Post by Schultz »

Thanks for pointing this out Ozo. I never knew this was an option.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

The greens are better for me with my declining eyesight. From an artistic point of view green is a neutral color. Reds and yellows advance towards the viewer, blue tends to recede into the background, green does neither being neutral.
Last edited by Jim Hauser on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ozo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 pm You forget that it must pulse maybe even in time with the selected background music of your choice if you do not like the default Punk Rock.
Oh, right. Let's trigger photosensitive epilepsy in unsuspecting users and passers-by.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Schultz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:11 pm Thanks for pointing this out Ozo. I never knew this was an option.
Surely you remember the time there was a problem with the forum and we were asked to switch color options temporarily. It was not that long ago.

I see now that even though I have selected the option blue it is still green until I sign in so I am always reminded of the green. :mrgreen:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Early 2016 I think?
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

Jim Hauser wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 am The greens are better for me with my declining eyesight.
Same here.
So many more forums and web sites are using color schemes that are difficult for those with aging eyesight to see.
I find myself using "no style" for page styles more and more often.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, as I understand matters (thanks, Moem!) this message board's message board software uses CSS to handle design and the visual elements of things.

From what little I know about CSS, and the associated HTML, how hard would it be to duplicate the present profile, and just tweak the color settings and find one or several other pleasant-looking options? I don't think the objects and elements rendered here, or their layout arrangement, need to be altered.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”