Microsoft trounces Google as open source contributor

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Microsoft trounces Google as open source contributor

Post by catweazel »

infoworld.com: Who really contributes to open source

New data debunks several myths around which companies lead in open source contributions.

Which leaves us with Microsoft having twice the number of contributors of its next nearest competitor, Google. For those of us that were around when Microsoft castigated open source as a "cancer" and "anti-American," this is a remarkable change of heart (or, as I’ve argued, a change of business model).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Microsoft trounces Google as open source contributor

Post by Hoser Rob »

Much as this may appall Mint noobs, there have been many corporate contributers to the Linux project for years and MS has been one of the biggest. But I'm sure you know this.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I think this is more "change in business model" and a lot less "change of heart." Microsoft is a "cloud" company, and it must support Linux in order for Azure to remain relevant. It makes sense to adopt open source.

I think it is important to remember Open Source is not limited to Linux.

I applaud Microsoft's contribution to open source, but I will cast a jaded eye at it. Microsoft is more heavily invested in FreeBSD than in Linux. Also, most of the projects are Microsoft-centric - projects specifically designed towards Windows, .NET, and Azure. I think Microsoft benefited more than Canonical when Ubuntu was brought to Win10.

I was surprised with IBM's position and contribution. Same for Oracle, Amazon and Apple.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

1. I don't trust Microsoft. I disliked them before it was cool.

2. What are those 4,550 employees contributing, specifically? Is it meaningful or just token stuff?

3. Much of the contributions to the GNU+Linux world, since the mid 1990s, have been corporate-sanctioned or corporate-sponsored.

4. Microsoft is desperate to remain relevant in a cloud-based world. Google has been kicking them in the nuts for years.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Portreve wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:53 pm 1. I don't trust Microsoft. I disliked them before it was cool.
You mean there was a time when it wasn't cool to dislike Microsoft and their crummy software and unethical business practices?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Everyone hates Microsoft because the company is evil, many want to use just Microsoft products on the Linux desktop because Windows is nasty because of Microsoft ... ... ...

I think that's kind of schizophrenic..! As a Linux user with simply not a single Microsoft product:

I hereby send my best thanks to Microsoft for the friendly support of the unknown Linux user :mrgreen:

:!: :!: :!:

What do I see there, the little black thing? My mouse - oh dear my mouse was made by ...

I have to apologize: the unknown Linux user with 1 Microsoft product.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Cool Topic...
Did they somehow "fake" the numbers is my first question, I mean it is polar opposite of MS mentality ? Or that is my thought, I may be wrong, I was once before.
I like most of the posts in this thread. It is interesting.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

...what is the best way to run win apps on Linux? Is it better to go just with Wine or through PlayOnLinux...
...what is the best way to run win apps on Linux? Is it better to go just with Wine or through PlayOnLinux...

4550 employees at Microsoft are working on it...

Return to “Chat about Linux”