Canonical Pursuing A Hardware/Software Survey For Ubuntu Installations

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Canonical Pursuing A Hardware/Software Survey For Ubuntu Installations

Post by mike acker »

ghoultek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 am
--snip

...we will find a mountain of evidence showing Microsoft is trying to insert themselves into the open source and Linux community. M$ hired one of the key founding members of Gentoo:

--snip

Back on topic... What is the response of the LinuxMint team? I'm very interested in their response.
Gaterbox-75.jpg
I think it was Bruce Schneier who noted "The Business Model of the Internet, .... is Surveillance"
EXCERPT
I was reminded of this last week when I appeared on Glenn Beck's show along with cryptography pioneer Whitfield Diffie. Diffie said:
You can't have privacy without security, and I think we have glaring failures in computer security in problems that we've been working on for 40 years. You really should not live in fear of opening an attachment to a message. It ought to be confined; your computer ought to be able to handle it. And the fact that we have persisted for decades without solving these problems is partly because they're very difficult, but partly because there are lots of people who want you to be secure against everyone but them. And that includes all of the major computer manufacturers who, roughly speaking, want to manage your computer for you. The trouble is, I'm not sure of any practical alternative.
and then, by implication: selling marketing research data. they call it "telemetry". I call it snooping. Mr. Diffie's comment suggests that there probably is a direct relationship between surveilance,...... and the problem we have with hacking.

The FOSS elements of our Computing Society -- EPIC, EFF, 3C, and naturally our friend Mr. Torvalds will oppose such activity. The issue is huge though and it's going to take every bit of vigilance to keep the grifters in check. One thing we do not want to do is to join them in their house. They have one ugly house.

Speaking of grifters an article appeared on TechNews this morning:
Silicon Valley's Corrupt Underbelly: It's Far Worse Than We Thought
this lead me to their reference:
Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys' Club of Silicon Valley Hardcover – February 6, 2018
by Emily Chang (Author)
( available on Amazon )

As we all know, in business it is important that one should know the nature of the people one deals with. It is only for this reason that I mention this matter here.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Ubuntu will let upgraders ‘opt-in’ to data collection in 18.04

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubu ... 4-upgrades
Canonical’s Dustin Kirkland

”Upgrading users would need to purposely “opt-in” to this behaviour, as that wasn’t explicitly asked in the past.
ghoultek
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ghoultek »

Thanks for posting the update Lucap. The article says nothing about the Popcon and Apport services, and whether or not those services will be enabled by default. Also, the article is so blatantly bias, but the bias is expected given the site.

Return to “Chat about Linux”