Canonical Pursuing A Hardware/Software Survey For Ubuntu Installations

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michael louwe

Canonical Pursuing A Hardware/Software Survey For Ubuntu Installations

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Stats-Plan (14 Feb 2018 - Canonical Pursuing A Hardware/Software Survey For Ubuntu Installations)

Will Linux Mint follow suit.?

So, how did Canonical Inc get their Ubuntu Installer to work right for Ubuntu 16.04/14.04/12.04, etc.?
... Seems more like an ulterior motive, eg so that Canonical Inc can get more revenue by selling user data to marketers and/or by displaying user-targeted ads in the OS. Remember, Canonical Inc had tried to make money by venturing into the Mobile market with Ubuntu Touch and Unity DE, ie trying to copy the success of Google-Android.

Nevertheless, Canonical Inc should not be faulted for trying to get more revenue to sustain their "business" and endeavours but they should be more upfront about it.

As borne by real world facts, for an OS to succeed in the world market, it should have a business model as a paid OS(= Windows XP/Vista/7/8.x) or as an ad-based and user-data-collecting free OS(= Android/ChromeOS). So, Canonical Inc should just be upfront about it, ie impose user data collection and their intention to copy Google's business model.
... If Google were to acquire Canonical Inc, they would just do it, ie impose user data collection in Ubuntu, and I would gladly support and install such a Ubuntu or LM.

EDIT; ... The success of Google's Android(an OS based on Linux) in the world Mobile OS market can be repeated in the world Desktop OS market. This can be achieved by Canonical Inc copying Google's business model, ie offering free use of Ubuntu to the people in exchange for the people allowing Canonical to get revenue from the sales of targeted ads, apps/programs and marketing data by imposing user data collection in Ubuntu.
... The revenue stream will allow Canonical Inc to hire more software developers to make Ubuntu ever more user-friendly and well-supported by hardware OEMs. With a significant world Desktop OS market share(= at least about 10%), many app/program/game developers will want to make their apps/programs/games available to Ubuntu users, either for free or paid/non-free.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Canonical Pursuing A Hardware/Software Survey For Ubuntu Installations

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 am ie impose user data collection in Ubuntu, and I would gladly support and install such a Ubuntu or LM.
I wouldn't. Microsoft's advertising and installing unwanted propmotional apps was one of the reasons I gave it the boot.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ catweazel, .......
catweazel wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:05 am I wouldn't. Microsoft's advertising and installing unwanted propmotional apps was one of the reasons I gave it the boot.
M$'s Win 10 is basically a paid OS. For them to also display ads and app promotion in the OS and impose user data collection is an unfair trade.

About 70% of the world do not mind installing Google's free Android OS and Chrome browser = they think it is a fair trade, ie they get free use of Google software in exchange for allowing Google to get revenue from ads, sales of apps, etc. They do not get this from M$ Win 10.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Just tick the opt-out option ?
Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar_2016 »

Dears,

As per this article -> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubun ... on-opt-out
Ubuntu 18.04 will also have 2 services to collect other data as (we) use our systems:

Ubuntu Popcon - to track the relative popularity of apps, packages and so on
Apport — to automatically send anonymous crash reports

Alongside the option to opt-out of data collection during the installer, options will also be added to the Privacy panel in the Settings app so that we could disable/opt-out of at any time.

Is this part of GNOME ?
Will Linux Mint team plan to remove these from LM distros ?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Drygar_2016, .......
Drygar_2016 wrote:...
Seems, Popcon or Popularity contest has been a part of Ubuntu since 2011 ... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... ityContest .
... Apport or automatic Crash reporting has also been a part of Ubuntu since 2012 ... https://askubuntu.com/questions/139424/ ... ove-apport
http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-disable-s ... -in-ubuntu

Fortunately, both of the above apps are not pre-installed in my LM 17.3 system(= circa 2014). Not sure about LM 18.x. Debian and Archlinux do not have them.
Last edited by michael louwe on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
DAMIEN1307

Smells like M$

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

well folks, it seems that with Ubuntu 18.04, they have decided to go down the same slippery slope that sent former windows users like me running to linux OSs...anytime someone wants to gather just a little "anonymous information" that yep, you can "opt out", well all i can say is i think we have all seen where they ultimately go with this...heres the link to "read all about it" as for me, im really tired of hearing things like,"this is to improve the customer user experience" blah blah blah...spying and eaves dropping is just that...everyone likes "putting lipstick on the pig" and stand back and say "aint she pretty"...NOPE...its still a pig no matter how you try to pretty it up...DAMIEN

https://fossbytes.com/ubuntu-data-collection/
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Lucap, .......
Lucap wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 am Just tick the opt-out option ?
And later, Canonical Inc-Ubuntu will remove the opt-out option.?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Smells like M$

Post by Pjotr »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 am well folks, it seems that with Ubuntu 18.04, they have decided to go down the same slippery slope that sent former windows users like me running to linux OSs...anytime someone wants to gather just a little "anonymous information" that yep, you can "opt out", well all i can say is i think we have all seen where they ultimately go with this...heres the link to "read all about it" as for me, im really tired of hearing things like,"this is to improve the customer user experience" blah blah blah...spying and eaves dropping is just that...everyone likes "putting lipstick on the pig" and stand back and say "aint she pretty"...NOPE...its still a pig no matter how you try to pretty it up...DAMIEN

You're overreacting. Cool down. :mrgreen:

It's easily opt-out (very visible during the installation), and apparently only gathers rather innocent information:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 40139.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

as usual, i forgot to put the link in my post to the thread so i edited it and put it in and added it here as well...DUH...dumb...DAMIEN

keep in mind pjotr, thats what microsoft said in the beginning as well...you can easily opt out...now you can only opt out what they allow you to...they are still playing vacuum cleaner on what they like...if you give anyone an inch...they will eventually run for the touch down...and i have never seen it fail to happen...so i do not believe im "over reacting" just saying that "he who does not learn from history, is doomed to repeat it"...DAMIEN

Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:04 amkeep in mind pjotr, thats what microsoft said in the beginning as well...you can easily opt out...now you can only opt out what they allow you to...they are still playing vacuum cleaner on what they like...if you give anyone an inch...they will eventually run for the touch down...and i have never seen it fail to happen...so i do not believe im "over reacting" just saying that "he who does not learn from history, is doomed to repeat it"...DAMIEN
I think it's better to respond to things as they come.... At the moment, it's rather innocent. That's the current state of affairs, and that's a fact.

Should this ever grow out of proportion (which I doubt), then we'll simply drag it behind the barn and shoot it. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

pjotr,...you are such a trusting, innocent, soul...lol...i grew up in south boston, massachusetts,...trust me, you lose trust and innocence before your out of the diapers, crib, and playpen...in boston we just drag it behind a back alley and shoot it, many many times...before it becomes the problem that we know it will be...lol...lol...DAMIEN
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Another article here.

Joe
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

catweazel wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:05 am
michael louwe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 am ie impose user data collection in Ubuntu, and I would gladly support and install such a Ubuntu or LM.
I wouldn't. Microsoft's advertising and installing unwanted promotional apps was one of the reasons I gave it the boot.
+1

No way i would support & make use of a distro that does 'user data collection'.
'Data collection' is only for selling them to the various interested advertising parties out there:
all the pseudo-arguments in regards to 'future improvements' are 110% fairy tales.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

151tom...what are you smoking?
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

151tom, luckily for all of us, there is no telemetry whatsoever in Mint...(it's a derivative of Ubuntu, not a clone)...
michael louwe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:24 am @ Drygar_2016, .......
Drygar_2016 wrote:...
Fortunately, both of the above apps are not pre-installed in my LM 17.3 system(= circa 2014). Not sure about LM 18.x. Debian and Archlinux do not have them.
Michael: popcon doesn't exist under 18.x as well. Apport doesn't exist either in 18.0.
18.3, when freshly installed (not upgraded from earlier versions) comes with mintreport, which has apport as a dependency:
it absolutely doesn't auto-connect behind your back to send crashdumps though. I'd love it actually if a 'basic intro to debugging' tutorial came up at some point in the official guides, i'm sure it would come handy on occasion...
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

If you want to avoid data collection, stop using social media sites like facebook. The apport app in Ubuntu is mainly used for error reporting and on my Ubuntu 16.04 laptop, it does open a dialog window asking if I want to send a report, most times I just click no or close the window. Ubuntu's hardware survey doesn't look like much more than what is posted here for results from inxi -Fxz

Return to “Chat about Linux”