Devuan 2.0 Beta released

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Devuan 2.0 Beta released

Post by Lucap »

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... n-2.0-Beta

https://files.devuan.org/devuan_ascii_beta/README.txt
- OpenRC is installable using the expert install path (thanks Maemo Leste!)
- eudev has replaced systemd-udev (thanks Gentoo!)
- elogind has been added as an alternative to consolekit (thanks Gentoo!)
- Desktop users can choose among fully functional XFCE (Default), KDE,
Cinnamon, LXQT, MATE, and LXDE desktops

- CLI-oriented users can select the "Console productivity" task that installs
a fully-featured set of console-based utils and tools.
- A .vdi disk image is now provided for use with VirtualBox.
- ARM board kernels have been updated to 4.14 and 4.15 for most boards.
Anyone had a play?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lysander666

Re: Devuan 2.0 Beta released

Post by Lysander666 »

Lucap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 am Anyone had a play?
No, not had a play and probably won't. I don't have enough confidence in them yet.
Lucap wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 am
- Desktop users can choose among fully functional XFCE (Default), KDE,
Cinnamon, LXQT, MATE, and LXDE desktops
Devuan 1 had an interesting bug whereby installing KDE would automatically install Xfce [it was a packaging error in task-kde]. Not very reassuring.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Yeah , when i had a play with an early Devuan i couln't get past Xfce and the default colours at the time were horrid , plus the whole SystemD thing isn't something that is an issue to me.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's a beta release and their support looks pitiful. I think you'd have to be completely nuts to try that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

With the amount of projects making sure they are SystemD compatible i do wonder if they are on a losing battle where they just endup with an OS that looks and runs like it's from the the 90's.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Systemd may not be perfect but it's the only init system that's properly supported now and 90% of the people I read saying how much it stinks have no idea why it may or may not stink. I installed systemd based 18.2 KDE on my laptop but took my sweet time doing it. If there's one thing I've learned about Linux it's that you do not want to be an early adopter of anything unless you REALLY need it.

Xfce does look like something like the 90s ... I'm typing this on my netbook running 17.3 Xfce. But some people like that. And really, DEs don't do a hell of lot now that they didn't do then. After a while I find you start to get annoyed with all the eye candy because you just kind of go, "well of COURSE it can do that, it's just fluff to impress noobs". But that has nothing to do with Devuan per se. I can think of other reasons to not use it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

With the amount of *.deb files that need to be fixed to work with Devuan it does seem like a pointless exercise to use Debian as the base to start with.

Manjaro recently forked it's SystemD and OpenRC version an stayed with SystemD so that says a lot.

Return to “Chat about Linux”